advice from professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, actually you were asking a silly question. Much as if we came on an LEO forum and said, "Hey Guys! I want to be a police officer. What kind of gun should I buy first? Should I get a big gun or a little gun? And what kind of bullets do I need? And where do I get my uniform?"

Heeheee....have to say..that was a good one :)
But you see, it's the same thing. The camera and software are just a very small portion of this. Just like your uniform and gun are absolutely minimal in your profession. It's all in the knowledge and training.

The investment in the tools to do the job definitely costs more for us than for you, but they are still very minor in the big scheme of things. It's the knowledge that is the key.

First understand that we who charge the "big bucks" for this aren't making money hand over fist. IF we manage or business WELL we are making somewhere between 25% and 30% of the amount we bring in. So, when a photographer sells a session and a piece of artwork that has nearly 20 or so hours invested in (and that is most definitely an accurate amount of hours for a 1 hour photo session) for $1000 they're making hopefully $300. That's $15.00 per hour. They have to pay their own taxes, retirement and benefits out of that. Seeing how you have a profession that I assume pays part of your benefits, you would have a bit less going out in those benefits than a full time photographer. That photographer might net $8 to $10 per hour.

In order to make that $8-10 per hour that photographer has to have excellent business sense. The benchmark is actually more near the 25% mark. So, they'd have had to have gotten an excellent business education. They also have to know their stuff if they're selling $1000 sessions and that's quite an education. Photographers don't just pick up a camera and because it's a high end DSLR it makes great photos. There is a LOT of education in it. The $50 sell it all and the kitchen sink photographers who come and go like the wind aren't even covering their costs-that's why they go away. They aren't making any money at all. If you LOOK at the images they create compared to a high end photographer they aren't so hot. If they are that great and the photographer wants to stay in business their pricing takes a significant leap AS THEY GET THE BUSINESS SENSE. SO... that paragraph in summary: They are a PROFESSIONAL and should be paid as such, right? What is all of that education worth? You wouldn't expect to pay say a teacher at the high school minimum wage. You wouldn't expect a police officer to earn minimum wage-even though those people are paid extremely low salaries when you consider their profession.

Let's revisit the 20 hours so you understand that figure when talking about a one hour photo session. I am sure you are saying "that's absurd. It's an hour!" While I am telling you about a one hour session for me, think about ONE police call that takes an hour to sort out on location. What goes into it before, during and after.
How a one hour session works for us: The call or email comes in and we have to answer it and talk to the potential client. That's probably a good half hour of time invested from start to finish. The client books a time slot and we have to do all of the associated documenting to go with it-record it on the calendar (obviously), create the client file, mail or email out the new client information packet and make notes about the session so when we get to the session we haven't forgotten everything. 1/2 hour of administration time. Before the session we have to make sure our gear is ready for it-batteries charged, changed, lenses cleaned and ready, memory cards, contract- all that jazz. This might take up 15 minutes if you own your own studio or up to an hour if you are working on location. I am going to average at 1/2 hour. If you are an on location photographer you have to drive to the session, shoot the session, drive back-don't forget to put gas in the car to do this session. One hour just turned into 2 (assuming the location is within the same area you live.) THEN you have to unload the memory card into the computer, sort and rate the images for processing. Do your paperwork in the client file documentation, file the signed contract, enter the session fee paid in your accounting software, etc. 1 hour. Then there is processing. IF you are GOOD you can process the session in an hour or two. If you are still learning how to process efficiently it could take 4 or more hours. THEN there is actual editing and retouching. That can take anywhere from a couple of hours to 10 hours depending on the skill of the editor. We'll average it at 5 hours for the beginner. You have to proof the session to the client. Whether that means putting an on-line gallery up or you actually do in person proofing is up to you and that's a whole other conversation. Assuming you've had that conversation and do in person proofing there's 2 more hours. The client orders their pieces. You have to go back to your editing program and prepare those files for print-cropping and sharpening for print. That's easily an hour. Place the order with the lab and go back to do your accounting and file paperwork-another hour. The order comes in from the lab and you have to receive it, check it, package it, email or call the client to tell them it's in, deliver it. And finally you have to close out the session in your files and software, archive it, file your receipt from the lab, enter all of that and tie up all of your loose ends. Another hour.
I didn't include the time it takes to create the paperwork, price lists, customer packet, contracts, etc that you use in your business. You have to have those and you have to create them and you have to continually update them. There is a very small amount of time, but it is time that has to do with every session.
Those estimates are pretty reserved for a relatively new photographer. The time will be more until you get GOOD with the processing and editing and have a system in place to maximize time for you. That takes a few years to really master.

I love MLeek.

I am interested in getting into the photography business. This will basically be as a parttime interest/job. i have no idea where to start. What kind of camera do i invest in, what kind of lens? Do i use a photoshop program? Mainly my focus would be of people, pets and outdoor photography. should i take a photography class? any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Research the market before you invest any serious money. Identify photographers who appear to be successful. Model your whole M.O as closely as possible on what they do. How they present and promote, what equipment they use.

You could try to find a part-time role as a photographer's assistant. You could join a local photo club / regional society. You could attend workshops and/or study part-time.

Will the MleeK fan club please form an orderly queue - behind me ;)

I'm glad to know that we all gave the OP "idiotic" answers...

You guys have no idea the boost and smile you are giving me today... It's been one of THOSE days here that all the little things conspire to send me back to bed with a good book!
Not a major anything has gone wrong. Just every little stupid annoying thing!

I'm glad to know that we all gave the OP "idiotic" answers...

I liked your answer Derrel. I'll pass my warm and fuzzy slippers on to you if you need them.

Visit other camera stores to see what they have in stock and see their sale prices and base your info on what other leading camera shops have to sale. Start off small then when your ready make the jump to higher end cameras. Also keep in mind it also depends on your area where you live and who wants want and how they want to pay for it.

The reason i asked this "loaded question" was because i thought this was a beginners forum. i was asking everyone their professional opinions. noone will ever know the answer unless they start from the beginning and ask stupid questions. didnt realize it would get the sarcasm that it has gotten. sorry if i stepped on anyones toes. i was only wanting helpful advice and people took it as a slamming session.

The reason i asked this "loaded question" was because i thought this was a beginners forum. i was asking everyone their professional opinions. noone will ever know the answer unless they start from the beginning and ask stupid questions. didnt realize it would get the sarcasm that it has gotten. sorry if i stepped on anyones toes. i was only wanting helpful advice and people took it as a slamming session.

:scratch:
The beginner's forum is for beginners, not those who are ready to launch into photography as a business. So this post doesn't belong there.
But the Business District forum is for people who ARE ready to launch into photography as a business; of course, THOSE people should already know what you're asking, because they've learned their craft. So this post doesn't belong there, either.

I'd go on, but I suddenly have an overwhelming urge to go home and watch the Princess Bride's "battle of the wits" scene between the Dread Pirate Roberts and Vizzini. :D

EDIT: OH, and I win the MLeek Fan Club sweepstakes--because I already mentioned how awesome and helpful she is, two days ago, in the "Things I've Noticed About TPF" thread. :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back