Advice on updating camera Dx or FX ( Genuine advise)

Alright guys thanks for the feedback. I think if I put the following scenario out there it may help me iron out things, and or confuse things.

1. Imagine if you will you were going to a series of river dance style celtic dance shows, what Nikon camera would you bring.
2. What lenses would you have, up to two but no more than three. ( I would think something like a standard kit or say 50mm & a 70 200)
3. This year 2015/16 I was either going to upgrade my car or camera and I've decided against the car.

4. Mash up points 1, 2, 3 and 4 with an amateur/hobbyist level operator who is in a camera club but wants to improve and what solution would you come up with.
What's your budget ?

Well if I were to set aside max around €1500 > $1700 on body I suppose I would have to spend that again to get two lenses, unless a kit lens came with the body, would I. I don't know really I mean looking there at $ 3000 dollars approx what would that get me realistically.
I would consider used, but again I don't much about the second hand market, Is it better to get a lenses used or body?

Having looked at some reviews and specs it seems that the 7200 edges the 610 and the 750 is better than the rest I couldn't justify something beyond that unless I found a very good second hand.

Last edited:
$3,000 US ... or actually $2700 - but you are in Europe so I don't know the prices in Europe as you want a local serial number for the warranty.
you can get a d750 and the "kit" 24-120/4 which is a good all purpose lens.
Nikon D750

Ya it is better re your points but in low light I don't know. The difference between your 72 and the 750 is it massive even in terms of ergonomics?
Should be about 1-1.3 stops better in low light

Should be about 1-1.3 stops better in low light

define better in.

focuses better in? 1.3 stops of extra DR?

I'm personally ten times better in low-light.

$3,000 US ... or actually $2700 - but you are in Europe so I don't know the prices in Europe as you want a local serial number for the warranty.
you can get a d750 and the "kit" 24-120/4 which is a good all purpose lens.
Nikon D750

Look i don't have a concrete figure I want to spend, What I'm not going to do is spend €4000 –.$4500 , maybe over time but not in one go. Im getting a bit baffled re which kit lense to go for with various offers as when I got my d5100 a kit was the 18 55.

Look i don't have a concrete figure I want to spend, What I'm not going to do is spend €4000 –.$4500 , maybe over time but not in one go. Im getting a bit baffled re which kit lense to go for with various offers as when I got my d5100 a kit was the 18 55.
BTW if you will get an FX body my advice is keep your D5100, you will be happy you did.
I bought a D5100 after buying the D750 and it comes in handy more then few times in various occasions.

i sold my D5100 after I bought my D600. No regrets. Can't think of a reason why I'd need it.

but I am now in the market for an a6000, so i have a small travel/casual camera that has the same sensor as a d5100. :p

I rarely used my d7000 after I got my d600. I sold it recently and don't regret it. Went to a good home where I think it's being used regularly again.

Sorry if I messed up your amount to spend. I thought you mentioned $3,000 USD then I saw Euros in there too so I'm not sure.

But do NOT confuse FF "kit" lenses with DX kit lenses.
The dx kit lenses are cheap to make, etc and keep the initial price of a dx camera really low for consumer's. One reason people buy DX lenses instead of just FX lenses.

As an example:
  • A Nikon d3300 camera WITH a 18-55 and a 55-200 at BestBuy online in the US is $650
  • The price of a FX 24-120 f/4 LENS ONLY at BestBuy is $1300
The FX lens is TWICE the price of the DX camera and 2 DX lenses.
The FX lens is a fixed aperture lens @ f/4 throughout the entire 24-120 focal range. Not exactly a normal kit lens and I don't think there's a DX equivalent.

There's a large disparity between the low end "kit" and the upper end "kit" lens.

Sorry if I messed up your amount to spend. I thought you mentioned $3,000 USD then I saw Euros in there too so I'm not sure.

The dx kit lenses are cheap to make, etc and keep the initial price of a dx camera really low for consumer's. One reason people buy DX lenses instead of just FX lenses.

As an example:
  • A Nikon d3300 camera WITH a 18-55 and a 55-200 at BestBuy online in the US is $650
The FX lens is a fixed aperture lens @ f/4 throughout the entire 24-120 focal range. Not exactly a normal kit lens and I don't think there's a DX equivalent.

There's a large disparity between the low end "kit" and the upper end "kit" lens.
The D610’s kit lens, the Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 VR, is pretty good too. Might be built from cheaper materials, but it’s a highly regarded lens overall.

As an example:

There's a large disparity between the low end "kit" and the upper end "kit" lens.[/QUOTE]

Astro i did in fact mention a 3000 figure. I have concluded now that: Either a 610 or B 750. I will be getting with a lense.
Q
. Do I go for a 24 120 or 24 70,

My advice would be to first acquire the 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens. That alone will move you out of the DX Kit zoom lens stage.
If I were shooting an on-stage dance show, I would bring the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G, the 70-200, and the 135 f/2. The 85mm lens is of such high quality that it can be used as a shoot-loose-then-crop type lens, and it is also very small, easy to handle, and has a short overall length so it is very easy to handle and to brace and support with the left hand. I think the lens issue needs to be addressed first.

Q
. Do I go for a 24 120 or 24 70,

If you want.
The f/2.8 will give you better subject isolation
and also better in low light dependent upon the DOF that you need.
As Derrel mentions, you may find the 70-200/2.8 more useful than the 24-70/2.8

The 24-120/4 will give you more reach than the 24-70 and be a smaller and lighter lens by comparison. Fixed aperture throughout and good subject isolationism and low light throughout the entire focal range.

Have you tried a 24-70/2.8 - quite a bit bigger than the 18-55 & 55-200 you had.
the 24-120 is a bigger too but it's not IF - Internal Focusing .. so it extends like your current lenses. The 24-70 is IF so it's big by comparison.
The 55-200 is 334.6 grams
the 24-70 is 902 grams
the 70-200 is 1,468 grams , 215mm long

Most reactions

New Topics

Back