AE Lock - do you use it?

robindesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone use the AE Lock button? I have the Nikon D700 and am trying to experiment with using this button.

So if I go up to my subject and meter of the face, push that button, it should stay locked at that exposure, right?

Robin

http://www.robinlongphotography.com/blog

be sure you go into the menu and let the camera know if you are going to lock in exposure or focus. Also, hold that button down until you fire the shutter or it will release the information before you take the photo

or perhaps i should keep my mouth shut since don't have a 700 LOL.

i say the above as most cameras i have ever seen use the same function button for both.

your manual will detail how to use it.

I use the exposure lock button every time I take a photo. It's on the half-shutter push and there's no way to change it. I shoot in manual 90% of the time because of this reason.

^ huh? the half shutter push is NOT the AE lock button.

I'm pretty sure the D700 has the function of allowing the half shutter press to either lock or not lock the exposure. My D200 has, so I'd assume the D70 has this ability, too.

But your answer to your question is yes, you're right :)

^ huh? the half shutter push is NOT the AE lock button.
You didn't ask, "do you use the AE lock on the d700?" You simply asked "Does anyone use the AE Lock button?" Then stated that you have a d700. All cameras have AE lock. I assumed you are asking in general if people use the AE lock. Mine is on the half-shutter button push.

I use the exposure lock button every time I take a photo. It's on the half-shutter push and there's no way to change it. I shoot in manual 90% of the time because of this reason.

I don't know what brand you are shooting, but it doesn't do that on mine. 1/2 push will lock the focus in single-servo mode, but not the exposure. In continuous-servo, focus and exposure will both continually readjust at 1/2 push. I just checked it to be double sure before writing this.

You didn't ask, "do you use the AE lock on the d700?" You simply asked "Does anyone use the AE Lock button?" Then stated that you have a d700. All cameras have AE lock. I assumed you are asking in general if people use the AE lock. Mine is on the half-shutter button push.

Hmmm...didn't know that.

I'm not sure what YOU guys are shooting but I shoot with a D700. Half button press with default settings locks AE settings in place.

Yes you can change it too. You can reassign that function to any of at least 3 other buttons... 4 if you have the MB-D10 battery grip.

The D700 has more intricacies than you can shake a stick at. I've ordered the Thom Hogan guide to the D700 and am eagerly awaiting it's delivery. The factory manual is woeful and is missing a ton of useful info or is poorly explained.

I'm not sure what YOU guys are shooting but I shoot with a D700. Half button press with default settings locks AE settings in place.

Yes you can change it too. You can reassign that function to any of at least 3 other buttons... 4 if you have the MB-D10 battery grip.

The D700 has more intricacies than you can shake a stick at. I've ordered the Thom Hogan guide to the D700 and am eagerly awaiting it's delivery.

Shooting D2Xs.

I would think that AE lock on 1/2 push would get annoying, especially doing something like panning or a subject moving at or away from you, where the lighting situation could change while holding the button. I guess I am used to just hitting the button with my right thumb to where I don't even think about it.

It is configurable, as I mentioned. One can set it up in almost any manner desired and I heard that it does everything up to and including making one's coffee in the morning.

I am still looking for that function... lol

Given my equipment is older than dirt I have absolutely no input beyond ansering the initial questions.

Yes, it locks the exposure settings into the camera.

I have it but I don't use it. Mine is considerably less complicated to use but utterly useless unless I have the lens in priority mode which I never do, that is actually more of a hassle to me than setting the aperture.

I shoot Canon, and I can set the exposure lock and AF to a variety of buttons via custom functions (I suspect Nikons can too). I keep my exposure lock on the shutter release (1/2 press), and have mapped the AF to the old exposure lock button on the back of the camera. It works great for me, except when I pick up a DSLR that's on the factory defaults. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back