Blue hour photography tool

Mice007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I'm working currently on a project of mine, creating a website to help photographers finding the right time at their current location to taking night (blue hour) photographs...
I made the site available today and I hope I'll get some positive/negative feedback about it.
Please give a try to it if you have a minute and let me know here the findings
smile.gif
I hope it will work good and will be a nice resource soon, I'm planning to add interesting articles, infos, and maybe some web2 features for photo sharing.

address is: Blue Hour Calculator

Thanks
smile.gif

Last edited:
Why would I need a website to tell me when to shoot when I have intuitive and observational capabilities of my own. I also know when night falls every night as well as the varying degrees of darkness. The site seems to be your idea of when I should shoot.

Why would I need a website to tell me when to shoot when I have intuitive and observational capabilities of my own. I also know when night falls every night as well as the varying degrees of darkness. The site seems to be your idea of when I should shoot.
No one is telling you when to shoot. It's just an informational site.

Good point! This site is a help for those who don't know the exact time when blue hour starts and needs some time to travel to a specific place to take photos.
A quick example when I've been in Dresden for one night only, I wanted to take blue hour photos of some places I visited daytime but did not know when exactly the sun will set and not left the Hotel in time so I missed it. :(

I find that the "Blue Hour" is actually something that does not happen every day. It is on some rare occasions that the light situation is actually so that all the other wave lengths seem to disappear from sight, and only blue stays and the world turns visibly blue also to the naked eye. But this is not something that happens regularly. Not that I would know of ...

It really depends on the actual weather. I'll try to build a database later about weather info for different locations but this will be a difficult thing... but i think a must for the correct service :)

I find that the "Blue Hour" is actually something that does not happen every day. It is on some rare occasions that the light situation is actually so that all the other wave lengths seem to disappear from sight, and only blue stays and the world turns visibly blue also to the naked eye. But this is not something that happens regularly. Not that I would know of ...

that was pretty cool that it knew exactly where I was located and gave the times.
I have an outdoor event I have to shoot next weekend and I see that indeed I will have some blue hour time in there, though the majority of it is later than that.
Yes, it does depend on the weather as well but this gives you an idea.

COngrats man! I guess weather was appropriate today. Saw this thread earlier and thought i'd keep an eye on the time and see if it was accurate. Definitely looks pretty blue outside. I dont have my camera at school with me these last few days or else i'd grab a shot

that was pretty cool that it knew exactly where I was located and gave the times.
Doesn't know exactly where I am located, but it knows exactly where Embarq's server for my DSL service is. So, if I wanted to drive a couple of hours to where the server is to take photos during the blue hour, I know when to leave my house.

I saw no way of putting a specific location on the map. Perhaps because I'm using Firefox? It locates me near Warren, Ohio, of which I am in Pennsylvania. Warren, OH is where the server is for Embarq I am guessing. Makes me laugh when people put those things in signatures that say, "Your IP is xxxxxxx and you are located in xxxxx", as if there is some magic to getting that info. Pretty bad magic, it's always wrong.

I could see this as a useful tool if I was visiting a location and wanted to shoot "Golden" and "Blue" hour subjects. I imagine there's a bit of corrolation here with the local weather forecast in the newspaper- sunrise and sunset times. .. I think it's a good idea though and thumbs-up for making this available to others.

VERY well executed! The application told me right away when the blue hour starts and finishes in London without even having to select it from a list! However, it would be better to see it emphasised in a bigger font.

Have you thought about making something like this for golden hour? I think it would be much more useful. Great work still!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back