Airport X-Rays

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I couldn't find any recent threads about this so I thought I would ask.
I just wanted to double check on what film you can/can't have sent through the X-Ray machine. After I get an answer or two I'll tell the nice little ordeal I went through.

Generally, I wouldn't suggest running any film through there that has not yet been developed. I believe the general rule of thumb used to be film rated ISO 400 or greater, but it is possible for issues to be seen on lower speed film as well. You may have it go through without any issue, but its not worth risking it if you have anything important that you aren't comfortable losing.

I've had good luck with keeping clear plastic bag and having all of the film canisters in it, and asking for it to be hand checked. They usually don't look twice at it.

I have ALL of my film hand checked EVERYTIME. Never have any problems getting them to do it due to some printed up labels that say "Attn Lab: Push film to 1600" plastered all over the canisters. :mrgreen:

I had all my film in a plastic bag and the guy wasn't going to let me get it hand checked. It was all mosty 400. I had to stand there and argue with him until he finally would get it hand checked. He said something like this
"I'm not supposed to get it checked under 800. Normally we just hand check professional film like 800 or above."

Going to Miami I had no problem getting them to hand check it. When I go to the Bahamas Saturday I'm just either going to buy some 800 film to throw in with everything else or just leave it in the canisters and tell them its 800.

I just stand there until they check my film. I don't want to take any kind of chance. I think the last time, the guy told me that my 400 should be fine, I asked him if he guaranteed that and he stared at me for a second....then hand checked it. :D

Unfortunately, it sounds like you were dealing with someone that was most likely misinformed on policies. The last time I flew, there was a sign in the x-ray area clearly stating that ALL film should be hand checked. I wish all airports would put up that sign.

All X-ray machines now are not safe for films. It seems they are stronger since the 2001 events and the general consensus is 'check film by hand only'. I think hobbes28 has the right attitude and answer for such problems.

xrays damage film? i never knew that. what does it do to them?

At the Philadelphia Int'l Airport, they have signs that say their scanners are safe for film below 400 (or was it "400 and below"?). They also say that anyone may request a hand inspection of their film if they wish. I normally don't have trouble getting them to do so.

The one important thing is to never put film in checked baggage. I've heard they use mugh higher-powered x-rays that can affect any speed of film.

Here's a page from Kodak about film and airport screening. I haven't read through all of it, but it looks like it has a lot of detailed information with examples of x-rayed film:
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/tib/tib5201.shtml

doesn't someone make a bag to put your film into just incase it get's scanned. I think i saw some it in the current jumbo B&H catalog recently.

mygrain said:
doesn't someone make a bag to put your film into just incase it get's scanned. I think i saw some it in the current jumbo B&H catalog recently.

That would be nice to have. But what would it be made out of, lead?

The only problem with lead lined bags is when it goes through the x-ray machine it will show up as a black blob... They will then take their time un-packing every little thing out of your bag only to find that it's just film... then pack everything back up again...
It is a LOT more trouble then it's worth.

I would suggest just taking it in a seperate clear plastic bag and dealing with security. It's not all that bad. I've taken violins before and they never even opened the case. :lol:
It's all just random security... hopefully you won't be that randomly picked unlucky one. ;)

yes but in cases where they dont want to hand search it...it forces them too...either way you don't lose and it sticks it to the man...sort of.

Well I'm off tomorrow, wish me luck. Though I never have a problem getting through Charlotte, they don't mind hand checking...
DSC00005.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back