The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been shooting pretty seriously since 2007 with some ascending skills in shooting and editing.

I know my own capability and I would never take on a wedding.
I wonder if I am a coward or are people with just a year or so of experience who start shooting for money just that much braver than I.

I don't think it is cowardice. People with little experience shoot weddings because they don't know what they don't know. Ignorance is bliss (until the clients REALLY don't like what they got). On the other hand, I suspect your photographic standards would be much higher than most people who could be buying wedding photos from you - and in that you'd be critical of stuff that they may be very happy with. I think "most" wedding parties are not looking for cutting-edge photographic perfection (and probably won't recognize it if they saw it), they want some nice pictures to remember the event by in which they and their guests look good.

I refuse ALL commission work.

Period.

It's easier to be brave when you're clueless.

Joe

maybe you just aren't the commercial shooter type. And maybe they just need the money more than you do.

I'd call you smart. They aren't fun.

I have never shot a wedding. I get requests all the time and typically I tell them that I am the absolutely last person you want to shoot a wedding. A wedding photog is supposed the make the bride beautiful and slim and the groom manly and handsome. The photojournalist calls 'em as he sees 'em.

It's a little bit of everything.

Joe

Is very true - when you don't know something you don't have any idea of what it is that you don't know - so yes its very easy to be bold and confident and make a total pigs ear of it.

Then there is the once-off nature of the shoot. Whilst most if nearly all non-controlled situation photography is a once off affair; most of the time if you miss the shot its not a big deal. Sure you might not get paid if you miss the shot; but that's about it for most situations - or the shot will come around again some time (or one similar). With weddings its 100% one-time-only coupled with a lot of emotional attachment and often money (relative to the persons income - a £50 is generally £50 cause hte B&G don't have more to pay). This makes it very intimidating - its a one time affair - you've GOT to get the shot.

Then there is the nature of a wedding itself - they vary lots, but overall they are chaotic events for a photographer. Because you're not the centre of attention - there are loads of things going on that are not your area. So you've got to organise others - get them ready and get the shot fast and move on and get the next shot.

Then you've got the "Ohh its a wedding scary" vibe that is repeated all over the place which reinforces the fear factor

The only way to overcome most of those problems is to practice - ideally by second shooting. Practice will overcome many but it won't overcome the biggest.

Desire. If you desire and really want to shoot weddings you will - might be as a free intern/second shooter or as the primary. If you want to do it you generally can. If you don't then chances are you won't - or if you do you'll run the risk of doing a bad job of it.

It's a little bit of everything.

Joe

Is very true - when you don't know something you don't have any idea of what it is that you don't know - so yes its very easy to be bold and confident and make a total pigs ear of it.

Then there is the once-off nature of the shoot. Whilst most if nearly all non-controlled situation photography is a once off affair; most of the time if you miss the shot its not a big deal. Sure you might not get paid if you miss the shot; but that's about it for most situations - or the shot will come around again some time (or one similar). With weddings its 100% one-time-only coupled with a lot of emotional attachment and often money (relative to the persons income - a £50 is generally £50 cause hte B&G don't have more to pay). This makes it very intimidating - its a one time affair - you've GOT to get the shot.

Then there is the nature of a wedding itself - they vary lots, but overall they are chaotic events for a photographer. Because you're not the centre of attention - there are loads of things going on that are not your area. So you've got to organise others - get them ready and get the shot fast and move on and get the next shot.

Then you've got the "Ohh its a wedding scary" vibe that is repeated all over the place which reinforces the fear factor

The only way to overcome most of those problems is to practice - ideally by second shooting. Practice will overcome many but it won't overcome the biggest.

Desire. If you desire and really want to shoot weddings you will - might be as a free intern/second shooter or as the primary. If you want to do it you generally can. If you don't then chances are you won't - or if you do you'll run the risk of doing a bad job of it.
yeah. i did a freebie over the summer. like 318 photos or some crazy thing between the ceremony and reception. Started before it even got started shooting the tables and décor before the people trashed them. Fairly low expectations i posted a couple photos on here it really wasn't a big deal. But i didn't really want to do that one and i knew them, or at least my wife knew them. i don't think i would be jumping on board to do more and with money on the table the expectation probably goes up tremendously. someone i know videos them. primarily video. Charges thee k a wedding him and his friend and stays booked a good portion of the year. so after tax and b.s. figure they bring in a grand a weekend each during the busy season . i don't like people generally, but It is tempting if you need cash....

I'd call you smart. They aren't fun.
I mostly agree with this sentiment. The only caveat is if you're the second shooter. I enjoyed that. All I had to do was grab detail shots, candids, etc. I have no desire to be the primary.

I wouldn't say you are a coward. I do not want to shoot a wedding. To me, that isn't something that interests me at all, well except the money. But it's not enough money to tempt me into that line of photography.

I have no idea why you don't shoot weddings. There are lots of reasons to not. I would never consider it, and it's certainly not cowardice.

I've been shooting pretty seriously since 2007 with some ascending skills in shooting and editing.

I know my own capability and I would never take on a wedding.
I wonder if I am a coward or are people with just a year or so of experience who start shooting for money just that much braver than I.

Depends upon your rationale for not taking on a wedding. If you're afraid of screwing up, than yeah, maybe there's some of that. But if you aren't interested in shooting weddings. Or...you know you wouldn't be good at it and figure...why take someone's money and then give them a half-assed job...that's not being a coward.

Lots of people shoot weddings--b/c it's a way to make money. The people I know who do it consistently and do it well, that's the vast majority of their work--they specialize in weddings. Is that what you want to do? If not, then don't beat yourself up for not shooting weddings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back