Am I the only one that refuses?

I figured this would get a lot of Internet jockey's panties bunched up...

You guys are so overly self righeteous to understand what I'm talking about.... This has nothing to do with the value of post processing. As I said in my very first post, I fully respect and understand the value of post processing.... Okay, now slow down and let that sink in for a mintue.

Panties still comfy? Okay good....

Back to my original question....but rephrased. Is anyone else posting pictures for crituque that have not been processed (off camera)?

But its like we said you - technically - can't do it.
The closest you can get is if you process a RAW with all the sliders set to 0 - even then you have to process and set the white balance of the shot at some point. That is it at least technically speaking.

IF you mean are there people posting photos with minimal or simply in camera auto settings on their shots then yes, of course there are. Who these people are is up for debate as its hard to tell from a photo alone - as said sometimes a shot looks fantastic out of camera and needs little to nothing changed in processing. I suspect many of them are beginners (at least as far as digital editing is concerned - maybe also, but not always, also as far as photography at the camera end is concerned as well)

Many people have posted images and state they have done no editing. You can tell, because these images are typically flat and lack any impact whatsoever.

I figured this would get a lot of Internet jockey's panties bunched up...

You guys are so overly self righeteous to understand what I'm talking about.... This has nothing to do with the value of post processing. As I said in my very first post, I fully respect and understand the value of post processing.... Okay, now slow down and let that sink in for a mintue.

Panties still comfy? Okay good....

Back to my original question....but rephrased. Is anyone else posting pictures for crituque that have not been processed (off camera)?

Yea the mistake you made was the question, if you word it like you did it sounds like you already have a good understanding of the process of photography, yet you see it in another way (which is maybe why people got heated)..... where as what you are really saying (as you have now explained) is that your still quite new to the game and you would like to continue to do as much as possible in camera.

You can't really blame people for how they reacted tho, as stating.. 'but I don't see post processing as "photography"... that is graphic design.'... in your opening post is really a million miles away from your new revised question.

Lets just say, the question is now rephrased, and start from scratch eh? ;)

Okay, OP. Here's the deal. You're wrong. Okay? I went to school for graphic design. They're not the same thing. Graphic design is visual communication involving text and pictures. You're supposed to make something visually appealing that is specifically designed to attract attention to it. Or to give a certain vibe to a piece of media. There's a design aspect that is distinct. Superimposing an image on another does not a graphic designer make. It means that someone's had a little bit of practice with photoshop. You don't even DO graphic design in photoshop (I suppose you can, but it's more cumbersome). You would use InDesign or Quark for serious graphic design, which doesn't even have the same abilities as photoshop. It shares similar traits, but they're very different.

Anyways, back to the real matter. You're still wrong, and you're conceited. A double whammy.

Sha-wing!

I do see that you mean to say that particularly a beginner should set him/herself the goal to first of all get everything as right in camera as can possibly be, and you are right. That should be everyone's goal at first, for only through that kind of trial and error you can learn what the settings do, when to best apply which, how to frame right and and and.

Once you are mastering those things, there is nothing wrong in making a good photo even better by making it more YOURS and not "the camera's".

I do see, why you don't want to follow the path: let me just click ... whatever goes wrong will be made right in post. There ARE things that will NEVER be put right in post. Missed focus, camera shake. When that's there, then it's there and any attempt to "cover up that flaw" in post will SHOW to the trained eye.

So yes, why not try to first of all master the camera?
But that should not make you alienate all those who openly admit that after the click the work on the photo only just begins. For a photo is NOT a photo through the click alone, no matter how well you did set your camera. In the end, it is YOUR way of processing your picture that will make it YOURS.

Don't think of processed photos as "deliberately changed" or "enhanced" or whatever, but as "So-and-so's photo", created in his/her style.

And if your style (for the moment) is the SOOC-style, as you think that's the best way to learn the technicality of things, then why not?

Then I probably typed it. Use some common sense for once.

Says the guy who just tried to insult me by using the word "Sha-wing"...

You might just as well have called me a "poopy face".

but you're 16. You don't understand how photography as a whole really works.
I'm 16 and I know how photography as a whole really works.

Post-processing is necessary the majority of the time and refusing to believe that will just make you more stressed out.

I do see that you mean to say that particularly a beginner should set him/herself the goal to first of all get everything as right in camera as can possibly be, and you are right. That should be everyone's goal at first, for only through that kind of trial and error you can learn what the settings do, when to best apply which, how to frame right and and and.

Once you are mastering those things, there is nothing wrong in making a good photo even better by making it more YOURS and not "the camera's".

I do see, why you don't want to follow the path: let me just click ... whatever goes wrong will be made right in post. There ARE things that will NEVER be put right in post. Missed focus, camera shake. When that's there, then it's there and any attempt to "cover up that flaw" in post will SHOW to the trained eye.

So yes, why not try to first of all master the camera?
But that should not make you alienate all those who openly admit that after the click the work on the photo only just begins. For a photo is NOT a photo through the click alone, no matter how well you did set your camera. In the end, it is YOUR way of processing your picture that will make it YOURS.

Don't think of processed photos as "deliberately changed" or "enhanced" or whatever, but as "So-and-so's photo", created in his/her style.

And if your style (for the moment) is the SOOC-style, as you think that's the best way to learn the technicality of things, then why not?

Well said.

Then I probably typed it. Use some common sense for once.

Says the guy who just tried to insult me by using the word "Sha-wing"...

You might just as well have called me a "poopy face".

I already informed you that you're wrong; coming from someone that has direct Graphic Design experience. What else do you want? I can tell you again if you want.

Post Processing a photo =/= Graphic Design

Most reactions

New Topics

Back