Am I the only one that refuses?

When I took a basic photography course in high school, they taught me to develop film and print photos.

Should they have avoided teaching me to do any post processing in the darkroom?

Did they teach you how do do post processing the first day?

But you've been serious about photography since april.

Many people have posted images and state they have done no editing. You can tell, because these images are typically flat and lack any impact whatsoever.

Has anyone created a "Theme" / "Assignment" thread for this yet? :D Thatd be sortve interesting... Untouched RAWs... could see what the OP and the like could turn out.

I understand the value of trying to do it right the first time, but if you can make your images more powerful by cropping or some burning and dodging, why handcuff yourself (and your art) to some purist ideal of 'getting it right in-camera'?

Though I think this thread has gotten way out of control, I do have to respectfully disagree with the OP.

As a fellow noob, one thing I have learned, is how the camera doesn't see what the eye sees. As a result, I, and I'm guessing many others, use PP as a means to bring the photo back to the glory of how it was observed by the human eye. Though, I too, try to force myself to learn the basics, I also have learned the value of PPing a photo to make it the best it can be.

And yes, I have posted unedited jpeg's, but to me, what would be the value in posting a photo that wasn't how I envisioned it? Also, if I am having a specific problem, such as exposure, noise, ect. I would post both a pre-processed photo and the PP'd photo to get the perspective of both what I did wrong in the actual photo taking process, aaaaand what I could have done (or done better) in PP.

Just my few pennies for consideration...

Many people have posted images and state they have done no editing. You can tell, because these images are typically flat and lack any impact whatsoever.

Has anyone created a "Theme" / "Assignment" thread for this yet? :D Thatd be sortve interesting... Untouched RAWs... could see what the OP and the like could turn out.

People have done this in the past to good effect often. The problem is hosting the RAW online as you can't upload it as an image like you can a JPEG

Then I probably typed it. Use some common sense for once.

Says the guy who just tried to insult me by using the word "Sha-wing"...

You might just as well have called me a "poopy face".

From one Noob to another, take a chill pill, put the ego away, breath, and take a moment to really read and understand what people are trying to tell you. I've seen some darn good information posted on why you want to PP and that it doesn't negate learning how to take better photos on the front end.

Wait am i the only one who noticed after looking through the OPs threads the one with the hunter? The OP specifically says the brightness and contrast were changed intentionally. Kind of strange for someone so Anti-Post processing wouldn't you say?

Then I probably typed it. Use some common sense for once.

From one Noob to another, take a chill pill, put the ego away, breath, and take a moment to really read and understand what people are trying to tell you. I've seen some darn good information posted on why you want to PP and that it doesn't negate learning how to take better photos on the front end.

Wait, who are you?

[
From one Noob to another, take a chill pill, put the ego away, breath, and take a moment to really read and understand what people are trying to tell you.

Once the insults start flying I typically deviate from trying to take anything in and start antagonizing.

There has been some very good and respectfull comments, and that infomration has been noted.

Wait am i the only one who noticed after looking through the OPs threads the one with the hunter? The OP specifically says the brightness and contrast were changed intentionally. Kind of strange for someone so Anti-Post processing wouldn't you say?

Probably, considering you are also the only one who DIDN'T notice that I said that I will make adjustments if I plan on printing it.

but why would you start out doing it...
Because learning how to use the camera simultaneously with learning what to do after the picture is out of the camera is important. It's always useful and it can be done at the same time. I can't find any fancy metaphor, though...

Stop thinking about it as fixing bad images, and think of it as making good images really pop. Even if you are starting out and not taking "good" images, why not learn on those?

It's been said that nearly all digital images need some degree of sharpening. Something about the anti-aliasing filter on the sensor that smooths lines....

Stop thinking about it as fixing bad images, and think of it as making good images really pop. Even if you are starting out and not taking "good" images, why not learn on those?

My first thought would be that I don't have a strong enough understanding of the technology inside my camera... and I am interested in learning it. The are many ways to process in camera that can just as well be done out of camera... but I'm more interested in learning it in camera.... exposure compensation, white balance, color saturation, color modes.... I want to learn how to do that in camera... I want to be able to look at a scene and know what settings I can set to make the shot pop in the first place.

Or am I wrong into wanting to do that in camera... should I just take the shot in RAW and dick with it later on?

Honestly, I work on computers all day... the last thing I want to do is go out to do some relaxing photography, and have to come back and work a on computer a little longer.

Wait, who are you?

My intro, posted on 6/3: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/welcomes-introductions/205483-howdy.html

I rarely do, only because 1) I would rather "take" a good, well exposed, well composed pic and 2) I don't have time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back