annodizing a dslr?

gumball513

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone ever thought about or considered annodizing a dslr and just coloring the plastic parts to a custom color? I think it would be pretty cool, let me here some feedback about what you guys think?

You can't anodize plastic.

Other than that, it would probably be pretty cool.

Airbrushing would probably be the closest to what you want to do.

well like a 40d is made out of magnesium alloy, correct? if so then u can anodize it

well like a 40d is made out of magnesium alloy, correct? if so then u can anodize it
Yes, but first you would have to completely disassemble it, strip it, send it out for anodize, reassemble it. That's a lot of work just to change the color. It would be easier to just airbrush it.

If you're worried about corrosion prevention, the body is probably already anodized - they just painted over it.

If I had to guess, I would say the alloy is probably 6061 aluminum. In the 6xxx series aluminum, the main alloying ingredient is magnesium. I would be surprised if they used pure magnesium instead.

Last edited:

I have never annodized magnesium. I have done the home annodizing of aluminum though. All it takes is using a container of ample size, sulphuric acid and, a 12 volt battery charger. You make sure the body is fully cleaned free of all oil and contaminates. You set up a negative annode in the bottom of the tank and, a way to suspend the part on the positive annode. Any part that touches the annode will annodize. Where you get the color is in the rinse. For this you use water and, clothing dye will work for this. Problem with the home kit is it is a soft annodizing and, will wear with use.

Is the outer shell actually metal on the 40D?

From what I have read the frame is made from stainless steel and some magnesium alloy (can't find anything that says what the actual alloy is), while the outer shell is plastic and rubber. I don't have a 40D, but every single review I read says the same thing.
Here's one. Go down to the "Look and Feel" section, about 1/3 down.

I think just taking the body apart would be enough to prevent most people from attempting this. Assuming that the outer shell was in fact magnesium, you would have to completely disassemble the camera, including taking off the rubber grips.

If it were me, I would just mask off the important areas then airbrush it. It would look almost as good as a good anodizing, but be much easier.

Ricing your dSLR, I love this! So much cooler than the kids ricing up their cars.

Is the outer shell actually metal on the 40D?

From what I have read the frame is made from stainless steel and some magnesium alloy (can't find anything that says what the actual alloy is), while the outer shell is plastic and rubber. I don't have a 40D, but every single review I read says the same thing.
Here's one. Go down to the "Look and Feel" section, about 1/3 down.

I think just taking the body apart would be enough to prevent most people from attempting this. Assuming that the outer shell was in fact magnesium, you would have to completely disassemble the camera, including taking off the rubber grips.

If it were me, I would just mask off the important areas then airbrush it. It would look almost as good as a good anodizing, but be much easier.
I agree! If there is any stainless in there then you cant annodize it if I remember right. I have never tried stainless so I cant say for sure.

The point isn't if you have anodised before or not, It's have you every disassembled an DSLR before?

Aside from the million components, and often painfully hidden screw, there's a lot of tight tolerance components. Will your AF unit be perfectly aligned with the mirror to actually get an in focus shot out of the camera afterwards?

I would consider doing this to a point and shoot camera, and even then only if the complete lens assembly could be removed as a whole unit. But chances are you'll not get a fully functioning camera out the other end.

Most reactions

Back