Another question about lighting

I just went ahead and ordered the following

Vivtar 285HV
43" umbrella
Umbrella bracket

I'll go ahead and make the light stand. Do you have the link to the PC cord? I couldn't find the one for $15

I'm attending a seminar by Ed Pierce on May 5 (Monday) called Captivated by the Light. Should be a good lecture. It covers a lot of stuff and should give me a lot of insight about all this stuff.

I'm attending a seminar by Ed Pierce on May 5 (Monday) called Captivated by the Light. Should be a good lecture. It covers a lot of stuff and should give me a lot of insight about all this stuff.

I know about 15 wedding photographers that went... none were very happy becuase they felt like they paid to watch an informercial with 1-2 good points the whole time.

Hopefully it has changed and you get something for it. Are they still offering that rebate so it costs about $30?

And as far as exposure goes, I never have a problem with it, even with my Vivitars. We were shooting with a set of Vivitars at 1/4 power and they lit up a whole room.

I don't like the harsh look of bare speed lights.

Shooting in a nice dark room, a flashlight will do... lol

I shoot in day conditions as well as well lit conditions more than in nice studio controlled conditions.

I don't say I never shoot anything but bare flash, its about a 50/50 thing, umbrella and bare, but I would not consider an umbrella an absolute must for someone just starting out, it could easily be added a couple months later and still have LOADS of fun. Also umbrellas are a pain outside in windy conditions.

There is a sharpness to a bare flash, but I would not say they are always harsh:

2455247807_186dbca489.jpg

Shot against a 12 foot high window in the afternoon on a westerly pointed window... far from a studio controlled environment. I purposefully left it about a 1/2 stop underexposed to show the levels it came out at, but in the album version of this picture, I spent a bit more time in PP to optimize it for print. Single bare SB-800 on camera right and built-in flash set to 1/8th for a touch of fill.

I know about 15 wedding photographers that went... none were very happy becuase they felt like they paid to watch an informercial with 1-2 good points the whole time.

Hopefully it has changed and you get something for it. Are they still offering that rebate so it costs about $30?

I got the rebate so it only costs $19

Most reactions

New Topics

Back