Anyone got the 7200 yet?

Lol @ high ISO being some kind of gimmick.

jsecordphoto said:
Lol @ high ISO being some kind of gimmick.

See posts #9 and #37...

I went into BestBuy yesterday...stopped by the camera section, and the D7200 was not in stock...they still had the D7100 priced at $1299. Apparently they wanna try and bilk unsuspecting customers. Looks like more sales emphasis on D3300 and D5500 and D750 at this time (only models with lenses on them instead of body caps!). Overall a VERY pathetic sales effort at my local BestBuy, with NO LENSES on several Nikon bodies, all the Canons with lenses mounted.

I have a feeling the channel is still stuffed with old inventory, all over North America.

They were still hauking the D7000 and D5100 last Black friday.

I rented one to hold me over while the d750 is being fixed, can't say that I'm too impressed. Granted, I'm comparing it to the 750, but the noise with this camera is pretty bad. Seeing tons of noise in blue sky even at iso400...

I rented one to hold me over while the d750 is being fixed, can't say that I'm too impressed. Granted, I'm comparing it to the 750, but the noise with this camera is pretty bad. Seeing tons of noise in blue sky even at iso400...
Loads of noise at iso 400 implies your are under exposing. Expose correctly and you should have very little noise at even higher than this. Carry this over to your d750 and even that will work better

Loads of noise at iso 400 implies your are under exposing. Expose correctly and you should have very little noise at even higher than this. Carry this over to your d750 and even that will work better

Lol thanks for the tip buddy :76:

Your welcome

Your welcome

You're*

1. You're implying that I don't know how to read a histogram

And 2. Not every scene is evenly balanced where one exposure will cover all the tonal values. For example, photographing osprey I need to spot meter their white feathers otherwise I'd get a bunch of blown out highlights. On my 750 I can expose for the highlights and pull out shadow detail no problem even at iso1600 or higher without introducing a ton of noise. Even at base ISO on this camera I have to nail the exposure because trying to bring out shadow detail ends up looking terrible. Maybe I should just ask the ospreys to hold still while I bracket a few frames for HDR?

Actually you are correct about my spelling, sorry . You're is correct. I'm not going to argue on the net, I didn't mean to insult you.

You now are saying that you can pull shadows on d750 @ 1600. That's great, I do not doubt that. I'd say the d750 is amazing, likely head and shoulders above the d7200.

You previously stated you get lots of noise @ ISO400 and I believe that's likely down to exposure. I am not concerned about how you take photographs, whatever works for you is good. I do however see many bird shots with the d7100 which is if anything inferior (likely by a hair) @way higher iso than 800 without loads of noise

Your welcome

You're*

1. You're implying that I don't know how to read a histogram

And 2. Not every scene is evenly balanced where one exposure will cover all the tonal values. For example, photographing osprey I need to spot meter their white feathers otherwise I'd get a bunch of blown out highlights. On my 750 I can expose for the highlights and pull out shadow detail no problem even at iso1600 or higher without introducing a ton of noise. Even at base ISO on this camera I have to nail the exposure because trying to bring out shadow detail ends up looking terrible. Maybe I should just ask the ospreys to hold still while I bracket a few frames for HDR?
don't know about the 7200, but i been saying the 7100 is scared of the dark for about a year and a half now. Depending on the light (as you mentioned exposure) i can push it up to about 1600 usually with a usable image and no major noise reduction.. Really like to stay under a thousand though. I would like to suggest that there is a a "fixed point" of actual usable iso. But there really isn't, all depends on the scene. Sometimes you have to or want to under expose. Higher iso's go soft and the shadow recovery can become problem some.. Not to say they can't be done, depends.. Keep in mind the 750 is full frame and twice the price. Two totally different levels.

I'm just stating my experience with a camera that is touted to be pretty damn good with noise, dynamic range, and at high iso. Granted, I got spoiled with the 750. It's been pretty disappointing, especially the lack of dynamic range. It's not realistic to need a perfectly balanced scene all the time

I'm just stating my experience with a camera that is touted to be pretty damn good with noise, dynamic range, and at high iso. Granted, I got spoiled with the 750. It's been pretty disappointing, especially the lack of dynamic range. It's not realistic to need a perfectly balanced scene all the time
^^^ That's the problem.
Same issue with my d600 and d7000.
My d7000 is a great camera. The problem is, it isn't compared to the d600.

yes. I can definitely see your dismay. You stepped down from a lexus to a mazda. I like the "gimmick" aspect that was mentioned. As it seems all my digitals have larger iso ranges than what i actually find to be "usable" iso.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back