Anyone here at TPF have the Peak Design Slide?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm always trying to find better ways to carry my DSLR. I've been through many straps and I always end up using my Black Rapid straps but the only thing I really dislike about the Black Rapid straps is how it causes the camera to flop around when walking and constantly banging on my side. Its just not that comfortable after while.

I tried Op/Tech straps but didn't like carrying it on my shoulder or neck, just was too uncomfortable.

Everytime I research straps I end up checking out the Peak Design Slide but I usually look away because it just looks like a seatbelt. But I really like how versatile it is.

Check out the photos (and the strap itself) here:
Slide

I actually bought some attachments for one of my Op/Tech straps to be able to do this (sort of) to try it out and I like how it stays stable and it doesn't move around. The hand grip on the camera is also free from strap, so nothing in the way like the BR straps.

The only downside is that it uses a Arca swiss plate to connect the other anchor which is nice in theory if you have a arca swiss compatible tripod and I unfortunately do not, I'd have to change the head on my tripod to a compatible one and those are quite expensive.

I'm just wondering if anyone here at TPF have bought this Peak Design Slide strap because I'd like to hear your thoughts and if it's worth it.

Last edited:
Yes I have one, and I like it. I wanted a strap that does not attach to my tripod mount on the camera (IMO that is not what the tripod mount on a camera was designed for). I have the 2 loops attached to the camera, and the 3rd loop attached to my 70-200 tripod mount. So when I pop the 70-200 on I just clip the the loop onto the sling and am good to go.

They could have made it a few centimetres longer though. I have it at its longest when I use the 70-200. Will have to see how it handles a 150-600 someday-lol

Yes I have one, and I like it. I wanted a strap that does not attach to my tripod mount on the camera (IMO that is not what the tripod mount on a camera was designed for). I have the 2 loops attached to the camera, and the 3rd loop attached to my 70-200 tripod mount. So when I pop the 70-200 on I just clip the the loop onto the sling and am good to go.

They could have made it a few centimetres longer though. I have it at its longest when I use the 70-200. Will have to see how it handles a 150-600 someday-lol

Considering that Nikon sells a branded BR strap on their website, they must feel pretty confident that their tripod sockets are plenty strong.

I'm tempted to get one anyways. I can always return it if I doesn't work out.

Each to their own mate. I have the blue one, and now that you mention it, it does look like a seat-belt-lol. Fortunately I don't really care what others think of me. I'm thinking of getting one of those lens clips they make, for convenient lens changing. Will probably be my next purchase.

Are you confident in the anchors?

I have two of them and love it! I use them when Im hiking along with the Peak Design Capture Pro attached to my backpack shoulder strap so if I need to scramble over rocks or just secure the camera to my body for any reason quickly and easily.

I still prefer my Black Rapid sport when traveling or doing street photography but I agree if you are in a situation where you don't want the camera swinging around a lot the black rapid is not great.

Funny you mention seat belt thats exactly what it looks and feels like but I don't think it looks bad. I actually quit like the look of it and its easy to adjust and lock the strap length into place. I also love the quick release feature for either switching the strap to another camera or just quickly changing the configuration around.

Well I guess they are the weakest links. Do you mean the plastic clips, or the string thingies? I bought it at a photo fair and the guy assured me that they are plenty strong (think up to 2 tonnes), could have been sales talk though. It is the only shoulder sling I've ever used, so I guess I'm not the best guy to give you tips on how it compares to other models.

For me the important things were that the camera stays relatively stable when I walk, and that I don't have to attach it to the tripod plate. In both these points I'm very happy. And I got it new for less than 50€. You can buy a different plate connector for it as well.

I have two of them and love it! I use them when Im hiking along with the Peak Design Capture Pro attached to my backpack shoulder strap so if I need to scramble over rocks or just secure the camera to my body for any reason quickly and easily.

I still prefer my Black Rapid sport when traveling or doing street photography but I agree if you are in a situation where you don't want the camera swinging around a lot the black rapid is not great.

Funny you mention seat belt thats exactly what it looks and feels like but I don't think it looks bad. I actually quit like the look of it and its easy to adjust and lock the strap length into place. I also love the quick release feature for either switching the strap to another camera or just quickly changing the configuration around.

I think the red organgish one with the leather ends looks pretty nice. Might go for that one...but the black one is probably less in your face. haha.

Can anyone share how you hook one of these up to use with lens that has a tripod collar? Just curious because I can't find a picture of one. But I'd probably just end up using a BR strap if I was to get a 70-200 2.8.

Well I guess they are the weakest links. Do you mean the plastic clips, or the string thingies? I bought it at a photo fair and the guy assured me that they are plenty strong (think up to 2 tonnes), could have been sales talk though. It is the only shoulder sling I've ever used, so I guess I'm not the best guy to give you tips on how it compares to other models.

For me the important things were that the camera stays relatively stable when I walk, and that I don't have to attach it to the tripod plate. In both these points I'm very happy. And I got it new for less than 50€. You can buy a different plate connector for it as well.

I think the material is strong, not really worried about that but I'm worried about how it secures to the clips, do they lock in pretty well? Not going to pop out in anyway?

I think the red organgish one with the leather ends looks pretty nice. Might go for that one...but the black one is probably less in your face. haha.

Can anyone share how you hook one of these up to use with lens that has a tripod collar? Just curious because I can't find a picture of one. But I'd probably just end up using a BR strap if I was to get a 70-200 2.8.
Well I screw the tripod plate with the connector into my 70-200 tripod collar. Then attach it to the strap. I've not found the best position for the collar though...

I'm always trying to find better ways to carry my DSLR. I've been through many straps and I always end up using my Black Rapid straps but the only thing I really dislike about the Black Rapid straps is how it causes the camera to flop around when walking and constantly banging on my side. Its just not that comfortable after while.

I tried Op/Tech straps but didn't like carrying it on my shoulder or neck, just was too uncomfortable.

Everytime I research straps I end up checking out the Peak Design Slide but I usually look away because it just looks like a seatbelt. But I really like how versatile it is.

Slide

I actually bought some attachments for one of my Op/Tech straps to be able to do this (sort of) to try it out and I like how it stays stable and it doesn't move around. The hand grip on the camera is also free from strap, so nothing in the way like the BR straps.

The only downside is that it uses a Arca swiss plate to connect the other anchor which is nice in theory if you have a arca swiss compatible tripod and I unfortunately do not, I'd have to change the head on my tripod to a compatible one and those are quite expensive.

I'm just wondering if anyone here at TPF have bought this Peak Design Slide strap because I'd like to hear your thoughts and if it's worth it.

Had the same experience pretty much. I looked at the peak design but the strap didn't seem to have much padding and I had a feeling it probably wouldn't be much more comfortable than the optech.

I even tried replacing the standard optech pad with one from an optech pro designed for medium format cameras, it really wasn't that much more comfortable either. So what I finally ended up doing was attaching one of the optech loops to the slide of the black rapid, and attaching it's quick connect to the camera. I connect the carabiner to the tripod mount as usual.

Seems to help stabilize it a bit, doesn't swing around nearly as much as it used to. It's not quite as stable as the optech strap was but it's close enough I guess.

Slide

Had the same experience pretty much. I looked at the peak design but the strap didn't seem to have much padding and I had a feeling it probably wouldn't be much more comfortable than the optech.

I even tried replacing the standard optech pad with one from an optech pro designed for medium format cameras, it really wasn't that much more comfortable either. So what I finally ended up doing was attaching one of the optech loops to the slide of the black rapid, and attaching it's quick connect to the camera. I connect the carabiner to the tripod mount as usual.

Seems to help stabilize it a bit, doesn't swing around nearly as much as it used to. It's not quite as stable as the optech strap was but it's close enough I guess.

Ha, I actually tried that too. But it didn't work out very well for me.

Not a perfect solution, by any means. I liked the looks of the peak design but I didn't like the locking strap mechanism - looked like an easy point of failure, and the shoulder pad really doesn't look like it has any padding at all which makes me doubt it would be all that comfortable with a heavy load.

Not a perfect solution, by any means. I liked the looks of the peak design but I didn't like the locking strap mechanism - looked like an easy point of failure, and the shoulder pad really doesn't look like it has any padding at all which makes me doubt it would be all that comfortable with a heavy load.

It is a wider strap though, so it should distribute the weight better. There is some padding on the shoulder part I guess.

I am unsure about the adjusters though, part of it looks metal. I'm sure the plastic bits are pretty strong, I've been doing a lot of research and haven't found anyone saying those failed.

I use a DSPTCH strap, similar design of string loops fixed to a camera strap point/eyelet and the tripod thread. I've used this strap for years and have yet to encounter a problem of strap rotation hanging up on clothing. I shoot a lot of Street where speed is important. Over time, I've had to replace the string connector as one was wearing out. A BR strap works well with a long lens, the long/heavy lens acts as an anchor keeping the camera from bouncing around. But with lighter lenses the two point connector system, is far superior.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back