Anyone here at TPF have the Peak Design Slide?

There just isn't one strap end-all I guess...

There just isn't one strap end-all I guess...

Actually I think I still have a black rapid yeti around here somewhere, I think I'll see if I can find it and see if the connectors are compatible with the optech strap system. If so I think that might be the best of both worlds, the black rapid shoulder pad with the optech's connection system.

If I can find the yeti I'll give it a shot, keep you posted.

This is what concerns me. Not sure if Peak Designs has fixed this problem or not.

This is what concerns me. Not sure if Peak Designs has fixed this problem or not.

Just looking at the strap that was the point where I thought, hmm.. that looks like a likely failure point. So it was a concern of mine as well. Also had concerns over the lack of padding on the shoulder pad portion, didn't look like there was much if any - and even the optech with neoprene and some padding wasn't very comfortable after an hour or two of carrying around the 70-200mm and the D600.

So I decided not to try the peak design, just too many ???'s there for my liking. If you get one let me know, love to hear your thoughts. But for now I'll stick with the BR, if the yeti test proves successful I'll keep you posted.

Just looking at the strap that was the point where I thought, hmm.. that looks like a likely failure point. So it was a concern of mine as well. Also had concerns over the lack of padding on the shoulder pad portion, didn't look like there was much if any - and even the optech with neoprene and some padding wasn't very comfortable after an hour or two of carrying around the 70-200mm and the D600.

So I decided not to try the peak design, just too many ???'s there for my liking. If you get one let me know, love to hear your thoughts. But for now I'll stick with the BR, if the yeti test proves successful I'll keep you posted.

It looks like Peak Design has fixed this problem. They were even sending out replacement pieces to everyone that bought the strap for free.

I'm tempted to get one anyways lol. Its only $63 with next day shipping on Amazon.

I think I'd probably just get the black one because not sure if I want a red or blue strap that stands out. Its just a strap.

It just sucks that my tripod head isn't arca swiss compatible. The head that is is $170. So now I have to unscrew it when I need to use a tripod, which isn't often. But still...just another thing to do.

Last edited:
I have both the black one and the red one. In public I don't like to draw attention to myself or my camera so I use the black, but I like the looks of the red one better and use that one when hiking and wearing other bright colors so I don't get shot by a hunter or something.

Regarding the anchors. I have experienced no problems with them and and very confident they are not any more likley to fail in some way more than my Back Rapid. One nice thing about the anchors is that they have a color warning system to let you know when they should be replaced. They start black and as they begin to where turn yellow then red.

I did not know they they had an older design like what you posted in the video but I have no concerns over the new design.

There isnt much padding at all on the trap but there is a little along with a grippy rubber texture to keep the strap from sliding off the shoulder.

Any interference when using it with a messenger bag or backpack?

Well call me silly, but I bought it anyways. Amazon is good about returning stuff and so if for some reason it doesn't work out for me, I can return it and at least get some money back.

But this is what really did it for me (52 second mark):

Yes...it sucks that my tripod isn't arca compatible BUT I don't use my tripod everyday so for the few extra seconds it takes to swap plates...its not a major dealbreaker. I'm not using a strap anyways when using a tripod and if I am..you know what..I can just add the second anchor to the other stud.

I'm hoping this will be THE strap. I ordered it with next day delivery, so I'll have it tomorrow!!

So I have the strap now and I wore it all day at a car show even though I didn't take many pictures I just wanted to wear it and see how it goes.

It is comfortable for the most part, I do like that my camera no longer flops around like the black rapid which is a plus.

Didn't rub on my neck as much as I thought it was going to.

The strap is quite light and it seems to be very strong.

The padding on the shoulder part is mostly non existence, I actually think it would be better without it but according to Peak Design the material in the shoulder pad will soften over time and get better. My left collarbone sticks out a little further than I like so it bothers me a little bit right there, but so did my black rapid straps so nothing much I can do about that. Its just something I gotta deal with.

I really do like how versatile the strap is since it can be configured in a few different ways. The sling method obviously being the most efficient way to carry, the weight is distributed pretty well and even though the D610 + 24-120 f/4 is quite a heavy combo, it didn't really seem that heavy.

The strap didn't get in my way of shooting either horizontal or vertical which is what I liked about the black rapid.

I think the strap looks better than the black rapid, its much easier to adjust and it looks discreet almost if you get the black one.

The buckles are plastic, but boy they don't feel cheap. Its gotta take a lot to break these things. I pulled and pulled on the anchors as hard as I can and nothing happened. Heck, I bet you can pull a car with these. They really feel great.

The only complaint I have is when using my 24-120 f/4. When using this strap as a sling, the camera is pointed down which is really nice in theory but because the 24-120 f/4 is so dang heavy, I get zoom creep and sometimes it nearly fully extends. I tried lens band, didn't seems to make any difference. I think the biggest thing is that the lens catches on your body it rotates the zoom ring a little and then next think you know..its fully extended. ALL day yesterday I was constantly reaching back and putting it back to 24mm. It's a real annoyance. Now...obviously this isn't a problem if you are not using a zoom lens or one where the barrel doesn't extend outside.

I did get zoom creep with this lens using the black rapid strap as well, but I don't remember it being nearly as bad. That is really the only thing that bothers me.

Other than that, its an awesome strap and I love the fact I can put the camera right behind my back when I need to reach down to pick something up or give a hand to someone, tie my shoes or when using the bathroom..number one of course.

I just wish my tripod was arca swiss compatible! I'm tempted to drill a hole in one of my tripod plates but I've heard some getting adapters for their tripod so I'll have to look into that.

It is packaged pretty nicely though.

Erwin-160819-4787.jpg

Most reactions

Back