Are these Sigma lens good for beginner?

rprimeau95

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
rlp-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This lady I know online is selling the following for 195.00 for all I have asked if she would be willing to sell me just the lens so with the new Canon Rebel XT or XTi I buy I would have more lens than the 18-55mm if I get the kit or maybe the body if these are good to get. She messaged me saying she would have to check if they would work with the rebels it is my understanding that they would right? although I can't seem to find anything on the 75-300mm f4.5-6.7 DL lens

Should I not bother or is it worth getting if she gives me a deal? thanks

CANON REBEL EOS TI SLR 35MM FILM CAMERA (NOT DIGITAL)

· SIGMA 28-80MM LENS
· SIGMA 75-300MM f4.5-6.7 DL Lens
· 2 HOYA SUNLIGHT FILTERS
· CAMERA STRAP
· OWNERS MANUAL
· SIGMA CAMERA BAG
· FIVE ROLLS OF KODAK 400 COLOR FILM

ive got the sigma 10-20mm and the sigma 18-200mm lens and both are very good lens,s for the money i cant see any degrading in the photo but if you have the money u couuld get better. but for a beginner or even good amature i dont see anything wrong with them one bit.

rprimeau, those lenses will both work fine with an XT or XTi. The thing to keep in mind is that neither of them will behave the same on an XT or XTi as they would on a 35 mm Rebel. The XT and XTi use a smaller sensor than the 35mm film area, so there is a "multiplication factor" the applies to the focal length, I think it is 1.6 for these Canons. So your 28-90 is actually going to behave like a 45-144 mm. In other words, kiss that nice wide angle goodbye. For that lens, you'll want to find one that has been designed specifically for digital.

The 75-300 will behave like a 120-480. That might be more useful, because it's still a telephoto, only longer.

The 1.6 'crop factor' only has meaning if you are familiar with 35mm film cameras. If you aren't...then don't worry about it.

As I mentioned, in another thread, those sigma lenses about the cheapest lenses you will find...both in price and in quality. As you are just getting your new camera...I would stick with the 18-55 and the 50mm...for at least a few months, maybe a year. Then you will have a much better idea of what lens to get next. It's not important to have a hole bunch of lenses...it's much more important to know how to use the lenses that you do have.

Most reactions

Back