Are You Right-eyed, or Left-eyed?

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My new Nikon D810 arrived yesterday and I still haven't been able to take it out to play with. I got this project I have to finish for a website, but I take a break ever' once in a while to pick it up and fiddle with it.

The camera is considerably heftier than my D5300, that's for sure. But it's also shaped different - higher profile viewfinder & prism, wider, with the command dial on the left and broader, flatter surface on the right. But the thing that I noticed the most is how much clearer my field of vision is holding it to my face.

I never paid much attention to the fact that I look through the viewfinder with my left eye. When I watch videos of other photographers, I noticed now that many of them use their right eye. Now, on my D5300, that might have given me a lot more to see - I tend to keep both eyes open when shooting - but I never thought to try that out. So, I been trying out both eyeballs and, I swear, I can't seem to get comfortable using my right eye. And the scope of view looks better using my left.

The screen of the D810 viewfinder is bigger and, with my left eye, I can see the photographic area and the camera information very easily. I can see, with my right eye, much of the rest of the scene - you know, in case some monster is attacking me with a hatchet from the right (if it comes at me from the left, I'm in trouble), or maybe a bird appears and I have a chance to get a shot of it.

Made me wonder about those who shoot right-eyed and how they manage. Or just why you choose the eye you do. So, clue me in. :D

Jim

Right eye here. And much like shooting (guns), I usually use both eyes (left eye still open) for a greater sense of the scene.

My eye preference is situational. Usually I shoot with both eyes open and I use switch between right or left depending on the situation.

If I'm shooting ... say a football game. If the action is moving from right to left, I'll shoot with my right eye, keeping the left available to scope out any trouble coming in from left side. When the play moves from left to right I switch to my left eye watching out for that linebacker running my way.

Whenever there is a potential of action coming in from the other side that I'm shooting I switch sides to accommodate potential photos and/or harm.

Shooting from either eye takes a bit of training.

I am one eyed. Blind in left eye. Since birth so I haven't a clue what your talking about. :)

Left eye here. Lot of times when I wish I could use my right eye (open up left to see what else is going on ... and to prevent my nose hitting the focal point positioning dial!) - but I just can't get comfortable with my right eye. It feels so awkward and I get totally uncoordinated.

Left eye in viewfinder right eye open.

Right eye, left eye closed.

I'm not sure why. I was actually talking about this to another photographer on Friday night. At the moment, my theory is that when I was a kid. we had a lot of 110 cameras and the viewfinders on those things were on the very far left of the camera. Using your left eye was very awkward and you were sort of forced into using your right eye, so that's what I got used to.

I see no reason to try to switch eyes, It never occurred to me to leave the left eye open.

Right eye. I grew up in an era when if you used your left eye to look through the finder you would poke yourself in the right eye with the film advance lever.

I'm left eye dominant but use my right eye at the viewfinder when it is advantageous to do so.

Always right eye, sometimes I close my left depending on on what I'm shooting. When I was shooting a lot of figure skating I would close my left eye, the white from the ice was distracting, but I would end up with a blurry eye at the end of the day. I ended up taping a piece of black cardboard to the top of the camera to block the ice so I could keep my eye open. For any sports where the potential of injury is possible I always keep both eyes open. Also depends on if I'm shooting vertical or horizontal, horizontal I always keep both eyes open.

My right side dominates the left. Right eyed, right handed, right footed...even sleep on my right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was an earlier thread on this topic.

I am right-eye dominant.

You can easily determine which eye is dominant using a simple visual test.

Your preference for the left eye could indicate that it is your dominant eye, or perhaps you have simply gotten into the habit of using your left eye.

To determine which eye is dominant, with both eyes open, extend your arm and point at something ... say across the room. Now close one eye ... switch eyes. You'll see which eye is dominant.

Most people have a dominant eye. Those who don't have a dominant eye bat 350 in the MLB.

Left Handed and Left Eyed with Right closed

John.

I've always found my right eye easier for photography. However years ago, shooting rifles at a fairground I found a significant improvement in my accuracy when I switched to my left eye despite the slightly awkward posture.
My eyes have changed dramatically since then, I now only need glasses for small print, while for most of my life I wore them all day...

Fortunately I can mentally switch eyes easily when they are getting different images, so I tend to keep my non shooting eye open too.

Most reactions

Back