Asking a pro to 'tag along'

Just be honest, let them know what you are looking for and why, what you are willing to do for them...

I'm about to email a bunch of random local photography companies to see whether I can tag along for unpaid work or something (I'm not sure what you'd call it) to basically pick up on things and to learn.

I'm wondering what sort of things I should be saying in this approach?

Did anyone here use this process when they were starting out?

What things would be good to know about approaching this sort of thing?

Maybe narrow it down to finding a local professional that shoots <insert a type of photography> and exchange your time for some of his/her time. Honestly I think you would be more in the way than an asset on a paid shoot. I'm thinking it might be better to offer to mow his/her lawn or whatever skill you have in exchange for them spending some private time with you.

On a side note, I learned how to shoot sunsets and how to operate my first DSLR by buying a pro a few beers. I plan to do the same thing again this year with someone that shoots boat races;)

Another great source of help where 99% of it is free is: www ;)

I think what iskoos meant was that there are plenty of tutorials and other ways to learn photo on the net. Like participating here for example.

I'm not sure I would try and do this through emails though. I know that personally your email would end up in the trash. If you can't make the effort of coming to me, I'm not interested. But it may just be me.

I also wouldn't ask to tag along. As someone said, the reaction could be that you're going to get in the way. Rather, tell them you're willing to do just about anything. That's basically what assisting is.

Good luck.

I just want to sound assertive without sounding like I'm sucking up, yaknow

I just want to hang around behind the scenes and pick up on things as much as I can - I don't mind holding reflectors or tilting the odd light here and there :p

I took a class in High School that was taught by the industrial arts teacher. He was a very good instructor and got everyone interested in his subjects. During the photography section of the class he had a heart attack. Everyone wanted to prove to him that we had done well with the substitute, and we paid extra attention to who was brought in. Lucky for the students, the substitute teacher was a professional photographer who turned the entire class around into something amazing.

fast forward 8 years, the substitute teacher found me on facebook and sent me a message out of the blue asking how I've been. After a bit of chit chat I asked him if I could tag along on some of his shoots (senior pictures and lots of weddings mainly).

Long story short, some people LOVE to teach. Even if that's not their profession they like to share and enjoy people who share their enthusiasm. As mentioned previously, let them know what you're capable of and what you want and you might be surprised with their willingness to help.

I have managed to find alot of local photographers websites through which I can contact them.

I might search facebook as well for people to talk to (although I don't have a facebook myself, nor do I want one).

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back