Asking for advice on first camera.

Thank you again. Your thoughts on Nikon 8008 or 6006?

Thank you
I own both. The 8008 is the better of the two for features and capabilities. Both good, but the 8008 is the next step up from the 6006. The 6006 was the first AF camera I ever purchased.

Solid! I think I can get a 8008 in excellent condition from adorama, or KEH. I may feel more comfortable ordering from them vs an ebay seller. I am now looking through a website to help me out with nikon lens compatibility,

Nikon Camera and Lens Compatibility Chart

I am sure I will enter into the DSLR realm soon and certainly like the prospect of using lens for both film and digital. I am using my company's Canon Rebel and Nikon 3100. Both I enjoy.

Thank you

Yea, either of those stores are reputable. For Keh take their rating and consider it a level lower or even two of what the lens actually is. They look at them very close to make their ratings. And will mark them down for stuff you don't see.

The least expensive lenses with be AF and AF-d lenses (of all the AF lenses). These are the ones that need body AF drive to focus. For future use D50, 70, 80, 90, 100, 200, 300, 500, and 7xxx series has the focus motor in the camera for crop sensor bodies (DX). All FX or full frame dslr have it as well. So, these lenses will work in those cameras if / when you move to DSLR.

AF-I has motor in the lens. Majority of DSLR's can use them, and the 8008 can as well. AF-S has more modern motor in the lens and same for operations as AF-I.

AF-S G lenses do not have aperture ring. And you will not be able to use aperture priority on the 8008. So, I would stay away from these until you go DSLR, when they can use them just fine.

Any lens that says DX will vignette on the 8008. They are made for crop sensor DSLR's.

Another if you don't mind, what is a minimum megapixels that can compete with 35mm?

Another if you don't mind, what is a minimum megapixels that can compete with 35mm?

To match a fairly decent fine grain film on a full frame sensor. It would be about 20 megapixels. In years past it was claimed 8mp on dslr's then matched the resolution of film. These were all crop sensors then.

Thanks again. I was curious your opinion. I feel like dropping real money I will go 24 mp when I go digital. For now 35mm Nikon for the still usable lens in the future. I am not made of money and want to plan out usable options.

If you want a full frame DSLR you can find super cherry Canon 5D (original) for less than you have in the budget and buy a nice afternarket lens as well. As long as you don't plan to also shoot video on the camera.

sniper x said:
If you want a full frame DSLR you can find super cherry Canon 5D (original) for less than you have in the budget and buy a nice afternarket lens as well. As long as you don't plan to also shoot video on the camera.

Used Canon 5D cameras sell for $350 to $395 here in brick and mortar photo stores. I shot the 5D for quite a long time...a VERY good shooter. Its 12.8 megapixel images have a certain, appealing "look" to them. Really a good imager for the under-$400 price! And it's FF too.

Was away for a bit. Canon 5D I will look that up. I have noticed Nikon 3300 24megapixel for a decent used price. How does full frame 12.8 megapixel full frame compare to 24 megapixel, its sensor is 2/3 the size of a 35mm.

Since I was on last I purchased a Canon Ftb off of ebay. Ran 24 200 ISO Kodak Gold film as a test and was expecting some problems. No problems, that I could tell. Very happy to have an older 35mm camera. Have not yet put my foot down on which DSLR to purchase.

If you are buying a used camera if it is possible try it out in person look around for lens available and price and check shutter count. Older SLRs can do about 200k newers do ~150k shots before repair.
I just bought an old d40 for fun which I found in the local photography store and just fell in love with it. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back