Attn wildlife photographers: to feed or not to feed?

I was actually surprised when our local DNR arrested a man for "baiting" a deer, because there was a salt block on the property, but not near where the deer was shot.

Big surprise to me!

This is the SAME DNR that PAYS people to plant "food plots" for the wildlife. In addition subsidies to plant to cover (reforestation and native prairie) we also got subsidies to plant corn and grain sorghum plots expressly for the deer, turkeys, pheasant, etc. that habituated our property. And we were being paid to do it.

So is the DRN attempting to alter the behavior of wildlife? (yes) For what purpose? (hunters)

A few thoughts:
1) Hunted species often have very specific rules relating to how they are to be hunted. As a result baiting might well be illegal just like you have to use certain kinds of weapon and ammunition types depending on teh deer you're hunting.

2) The provision of food for wildlife through plots or other systems is often done to encourage wildlife and provide food that is otherwise unobtainable. Modern farming practice and countryside life is very detrimental to wildlife when it doesn't put into place these measures.
Consider how modern farming has far less waste; is far faster; is far more monoculture and often has more rotations of crops per year. This cuts out a huge food source that many species have relied upon (species that are often in small numbers and endangered due to changing practice and the shift in environments)

3) Consider that the food provided for wildlife is intended to be that; its food and habitat. Whilst the salt lick is a placed item designed to be a lure to bring wildlife into an area to be (in this case) shot.

Whats a DNR?

Acronym for Department of Natural Resources. Typically has wildlife and fishing law enforcement personnel ( sometimes called "game wardens" or "game cops") who write citiations for violations of laws and statutes regarding fish and wildlife laws,rules, or regulations, such as non-legal harvest of animals or fish; illegal hunting or chase methods; fishing out of season, and so on and so on.

May also set fish and game harvesting seasons, bag limits, etc. in some states, but not in all. DNR acronym is used in many states, but not in all. In my state, we say ODFW, never DNR...ODFW stands for Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife.

I have however "baited" bears on a couple of occasions. Not with meat, but with the very berries, from and in the very area that the bears were feeding in. I gathered a few of the berries when there were berries on the bushes at the time of year the bears were eating them.

I was not visible to the bear. I was in a blind that was placed down wind from the bear. All my baiting did was pull the bear out of the thicket to the edge for a better pose if you will.

I forgot about this approach to baiting and yes this is a prime example of a species otherwise very hard to photograph safely for both bear and photographer* being lured out by a baiting method. The method isn't providing any additional food so the bear isn't given any advantage. You could adapt this method to provide a small amount of food in a regularly used area to the same effect - a bunch of berries won't sustain a bear for long; but if it brings it into the open for a photographic shot for a few moments then its unlikely to cause any sustained harm.

In that case it would only be if this were done en-mass that it would cause problems.

*in a fight the bear will win - but it will then lose as will many others in the area when bears are shot as a result of a "killer bear" on the loose in an area. Even an attack will prompt action (legal or otherwise) as people take measures to protect themselves by removing dangerous animal individuals - even if they kill multiple innocent individual animals in the process
In my case it wasn't even so much of a matter of luring them out as it was getting them to turn around. While many find the image of a bare butt to be enjoyable to look at. I do not enjoy photographing a bear butt.

One of the issues I have with wildlife discussions be it what lens, this topic or virtually any topic on "Wildlife" is the lack of definition of wildlife. For some wildlife is birdies and squirrels, for others it may be sockeye salmon and trout, others it may be raptors. For me it is generally bear, cougar, moose, elk, wolf, fox and eagles. Each form of wildlife has it's own set of issues.

Whats a DNR?
Department of Natural Resources (state agency) Soil and water conservation, wildlife, hunting licenses, state parks, fisheries, etc.

3) Consider that the food provided for wildlife is intended to be that; its food and habitat. Whilst the salt lick is a placed item designed to be a lure to bring wildlife into an area to be (in this case) shot.
No difference.

Both are intended to "benefit" the wildlife and encourage them to take up residence in a certain area.

Also cover and water.

Slowpoke. :allteeth:
screenshot-www thephotoforum com 2017-04-03 12-24-56.jpg

Designer - the difference is that developing natural habitat or providing natural feed areas has the intent to provide a longer lasting food source and environment. You are essentially increasing the potential carrying capacity of the area for species. Meanwhile the salt lick is purely a lure that isn't habitat related and is purely designed to draw a specific animal to a specific location.

Designer - the difference is that developing natural habitat or providing natural feed areas has the intent to provide a longer lasting food source and environment. You are essentially increasing the potential carrying capacity of the area for species. Meanwhile the salt lick is purely a lure that isn't habitat related and is purely designed to draw a specific animal to a specific location.
Not quite true. In that particular case I would agree.

However salt intake or the lack of it in humans is not a problem. Humans tend to have too much salt intake. However in animals, especially lactating animals salt deficiency is very much a problem for their overall health and the health of their suckling young. We always have a couple of salt blocks as well as mineral blocks out in the pasture for the cattle so they can get the salt they need to maintain better health.

Gryph that is very true and I don't mean to say that an animal will not benefit from a salt lick - however in general one would attempt to source salt naturally rather than from a lick when looking toward habitat restoration.

In general I've never really come across salt licks or other mineral supplements for conservation of wild species.

For years we've kept both mineral blocks and a corn feeder at the edge of our yard to attract the deer. We've been awarded with closeup views of many bucks, does and fawns. Some of which have called our property thier permanent home. Of course I also have fields for grazing, oak and hickory for browse.

Even I know you're not supposed to put out bird feed (or whatever critter food) unless you intend to keep feeding them. I don't because the birds already think my bushes are their condos, and I have baby robins on the downspout so they have made themselves at home without any encouragement.

Listen, if I couldn't bait hockey players to stand where I wanted them to be for a picture, then you shouldn't do it to other wildlife either.

I'm being a smartass but really, don't people know not to bait animals?? We do have a controlled deer season here because there aren't many natural predators and the deer get overrun to the point of darting across the road even in the 'burbs and eating crops, etc. etc. I guess if you don't have the inclination to sit in a bird blind for a long time and such things then you aren't cut out to be a wildlife photographer.

don't people know not to bait animals?? We do have a controlled deer season here

I don't consider it baiting. Years ago thanks the help of a federal grant, state forestry , state biologist, and the county NCRS, I established a 35 acre self sustainable preserve of sort. We now have all sorts of wildlife, some of which wasn't here before. Sort of a "if you build it they will come", place. Occasionally I supplement what they can find naturally just to keep tack.

I wasn't talking about setting up what you've done, there was someone who I knew who set up their own sanctuary for wildlife because they had acres and acres of land and woods that already had a certain amount of wildlife, that seems to help support what's already there as you're doing. I meant to put food out just to bait animals but then to not maintain the food source. Just seems unnecessary and not such a great idea to attract animals then to have them keep coming back to no food. I always thought you weren't supposed to start feeding birds unless you plan to continue feeding them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back