Auto racing photography question, selling to magazines.

racefan24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bemphotography.eventpicttures.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I am into my 2nd year as a Auto Racing photographer. I have had a few websites ask for me to donate my photo's for their site. I have also been told that my photo's would be good enough for magazines. I want to start selling my photo's to some auto racing magazines and newspapers, but don't have the slightest idea on how to do it.

Somebody help me!

Brett Moist

I cant be of much help.. all i have to say is no matter what they offer do not sell complete rights of ownership of any photos.. you will lose the right to claim it as your own. in turn losing all profit in the future.. also be sure if anyone is clearly identifiable in your photos get a signed waiver.. or that photo will not be acceptable and you will be unable to sell it.. my advise sell the photo as a 1 time use (for a mag or news paper) that way you have control over your profits..

I think that with sports, as with news, photos to mags and newspapers are only good for as long as they are news worthy. For a news paper this tends to be the monday sports edition (news of the weekends action etc). Omitinibu is right in saying that you should only sell a one off use.
You could also put them all on micro stock sites.
And you could also approach the drivers/teams....perhaps sending them a proof copy. I would also do this to the sponsors of each car.
Best of luck

As for approaching newspapers.... send them in the first instance to the photo editor attached to a short standard email with your contact details. Do not try calling around as this is time consuming and often fruitless. Create a contacts list at all of the mags that you want to target and get into the habit of sending a mail on a regular basis so that they start to recognise your email address and work ethic.
Also, a bulk mailing to all of those editors stating that you are available for freelance assignments. Include a portfolio with this.

Visit www.asmp.org . The American Society of Media Photographers.

The pricing for magazine photo's depends on the circulation of the magazine and the size at which they will be using your images.

Cover photo's bring 3 to 4 times the amount of any images used inside the magazine.

I highly recommend you purchase their book "Professional Business Practices in Photography." 7th edition. It is invaluable for learning how to profitably license your images while also protecting your copyrights.

Last edited:
Hello, I am into my 2nd year as a Auto Racing photographer. I have had a few websites ask for me to donate my photo's for their site. I have also been told that my photo's would be good enough for magazines. I want to start selling my photo's to some auto racing magazines and newspapers, but don't have the slightest idea on how to do it.

Somebody help me!

Brett Moist
So Brett,
Tell us did that help?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back