Av mode always underexposed

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by caspertodd, Jun 21, 2008.

1. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    On my Canon Xt, it always seems that when I take photos in Av mode my photos are underexposed. Doing some test shots in manual mode, I set my aperture to 5.6 and shutter at 800, and the photo was perfectly exposed. I switch to Av mode and set my aperture to 5.6, and the shutter speed that is chosen is 2000, and the picture ends up being underexposed. Am I missing something here? I am using spot metering, and metering directly of the subject on the same spot each time. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    in av mode your camera is using its brain and being mechanical its not going to get perfect results-your eye and brain is better than the camera's brain which is why I think that your camera is better in M

3. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would assume this isn't the case, but you could also check and make sure that you don't have it set to a negative exposure compensation, perhaps -2.5 or so. This would also accomplish it. I personally have a problem with my XT but, I can usually edit the exposure compensation to make it work right (for me though it tends to over expose).

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Most DSLRs tend to underexpose as a default - its part of the beast. I suppose its because the camera is making a choice for the photographer and it is safer to underexpose (and thus save details) rather than to mistake and overexpose - thus possibly blowing out details which can't be recovered

If you know enough and have time I would sit in Manual mode - however I do like to stay in AV mode as I don't have to worry as much about changing lighting when taking a shot (and as its often something fast moving I don't have time to play with the exposure in maual mode to get it right.

Shooting RAW can also help if you find it to be underexposing a lot more than you want it to

5. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, but the camera shouldn't be off by 1.5 stops (appx the difference between 800 and 2000). I mean, cameras will default one way or the other, but, that seems to be kind of extreme by itself.

6. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I checked the exposure compensation, and it is still at default. If I change this, it will affect manual mode too right? Or does it just affect automatic modes? Could the quality of lens have something to do with it, or does that not generally affect the light meter on the camera?

I would shoot in manual mode all the time, but that is not practical for me on days when the light is changing rapidly, as overread had said.

7. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Cameras use the same meter no matter what the mode used is, right?

So, if you have it at 0 exposure compensation for any of the semi-auto modes, or you set the manual settings up so that your meter is reading centered I would think the shot should be the same.

Can you set the metering different in the different modes with dSLRs in general or the XT specifically? For example, can you have spot metering set in Aperture priority but have average or matrix or whatever it is called set in manual? I can't in my camera, the metering mode is the same no matter what the shooting mode is, but I don't know about dSLR cameras.

To answer this specific question.... No, exposure compensation does not affect manual mode. With manual mode, you manually selecting the settings is the exposure. To compensate for exposure in manual, you have to be the one who decides and changes the settings (aperture or shutter).

8. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know my 10s (35mm) does this, M defaults on spot metering, everything else defaults on evaluative. I don't think the 350D does that though, pretty sure it stays the same no matter what mode you're in.

9. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Exposure comp should not effect exposure in M, because you compensate by manually increasing or decreasing the exposure, your meter just reads normally.

10. KD5NRH

KD5NRH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What does it do in other modes?

11. Tiberius47

Tiberius47 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try resetting the camera to factory defaults. I had to do that on occasion, worked fine.

12. caspertodd

caspertodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I haven't noticed it with Tv mode, but I haven't been using it much. In full automatic mode it is fine. I may try reseting to factory default as Tiberius suggested since I do not remember having this problem before.