Back Button Focusing-Who is skilled at using it?

I use it all the time. Works well for tracking a subject until you get them where you want them.

Or just use the group focus option on d810s and d4s

I use BBF. There is a learning curve and it will take some time until one becomes completely comfortable with BBF. If you are a long time shutter release button focus person, the initial plunge into BBF is very awkward. One of those muscle-memory things. Obviously, the more you use BBF the quicker you will arrive at your comfort level.

If you are shooting stationary subjects where you have time to move your focus point around the LCD/viewfinder ... it is better to frame and move a focus point.

If you're shooting a non-stationary subject where timing is critical, BBF can be a wonderful tool. I shoot a lot of action and with BBF I can slam my focus finger and pump the BB without having to temper my slams for fear of releasing the shutter. Not having to worry about 'shutter release finger modulation', (depressing the shutter release only halfway down), is just one less thing for me to worry about and I can concentrate more brain power, (a commodity of such short supply I shouldn't dilute what little I have and spread it around), on composition and timing.

For me, BBF has been well worth the effort.

Gary

This.
This is how I use BBF. It took me a day or two to get used to it. And I once changed it without realizing it and it took me a bit to figure it out. But I love back focus.

I switched to BBF a few months ago and have no complaints for the shooting I do. It was weird getting used to it at first but now it's second nature.

Yes! I didn't even know it existed til then. lol

Works great when you can just hold it down in AI Servo while tracking a Great Blue Heron across the sky. Or any other moving object you want to continually focus track.

Well, I am glad I posted something that got people talking! I never did a chance to get out there and practice some more today but there is always tomorrow!

I switch between the two a fair amount. Depends on what I'm shooting. Moving objects I use BBF and AI-SERVO for focus tracking. Twilight or night scenes on a tri-pod I use BBF .and focus once and leave it alone. Just walking around I prefer the front button.

I wouldn't say I'm skilled but I'm starting to use it, definitely comes in handy with moving targets. Who knows, maybe there's a better way. Don't be afraid to move your focus point close to where you want it. I know I wouldn't have been able to focus on this little bastard without it, even then I was shooting in continuous mode.

Attachments

• HummingBird-1.jpg
    HummingBird-1.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 107
I wouldn't say I'm skilled but I'm starting to use it, definitely comes in handy with moving targets. Who knows, maybe there's a better way. Don't be afraid to move your focus point close to where you want it. I know I wouldn't have been able to focus on this little bastard without it, even then I was shooting in continuous mode.

"little bastard" LMAO

I've never used the back button. If I was having problems staying locked on moving subjects I would try everything to fix the problem, but I don't have that problem. I think , like so many things camera related it simply comes down to personal choice, and what feels right. I'm used to the feel of using just a shutter button, and the amount of pressure I need to stay on it while I follow the subject.

I use BBF for AF-ON and have the shutter pressed slightly for AF Lock. I don't know why because it is really no different from using the shutter pressed slightly for focus and lock/shutter full down but I do like that it disassociates the shutter from focus. That means that if I don't wat the focus to change I don't have to hit the BBF swtich to lock then hit the shutter. Just press the BBF to focus then if something moves in frame the shutter button doesn't change anything (if by chance I'm actually in Auto Area Focus instead of single point).

Edit: Also it's fun when you give the camera to people and they can't get it to focus. Then you say "Oh, you don't know how to use a DSLR? YOU ARE NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER!" :p JK but the expressions are funny when they can't get it to focus like a normal camera.

Having focus on the shutter button works best for me. I have the back button set to turn off auto-focus so I can skip the switch on the lens. That saves me forgetting to switch the lens back to AF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back