baptism and a ? (warning-long post!)

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys. I went to a friends baptism and took some pictures for them cause they asked me to. This is the third time I have 'practiced' with them. Here's one:

isaacfathermark2.jpg

AAnd here's a guest that was there
alaina.jpg

And so here's my question: This family keeps having me do thier photos for them and each time they have offered me money. I have turned them down each time because I refuse to take money for somehting I haven't even near perfected yet, not that I ever expect to 'perfect' it.
This time they are insisting that I take some but I don't want to because I'm not into ripping people off, and they are friends. That being said, at the baptism people there told me that they had seen my flickr and they want me to do pictures for them. They don't know I'm not that good... but I do.
SO, I love the practice and am happy (quite addicted actually) to take pictures just to keep me using my camera in different situations with different subjects. However, it does take my time to take and edit the pictures for these people. At what point do I accept the payment when it's offered? When I feel I've improved enough? Or when it's a request to have me do photos for someone I don't know and they are happy with the result? HELP. I'm an idiot when it comes to these things?
Sorry so long. ;)

I do not take money from family, or women I sleep with, (there are no women these days so it's much easier) otherwise I take money from anyone who tells me where to be, what time to be there, and what to shoot. What you charge is up to you. Unlike some people on these forums, I don't think there is a minimum charge. Ask them for whatever you feel comfortable with.

Remember this its like sex first you do it for fun, then you do it for a few friends, then you charge for it. Not going to take that thought any farther.

I do not take money from family, or women I sleep with, (there are no women these days so it's much easier) otherwise I take money from anyone who tells me where to be, what time to be there, and what to shoot. What you charge is up to you. Unlike some people on these forums, I don't think there is a minimum charge. Ask them for whatever you feel comfortable with.

Remember this its like sex first you do it for fun, then you do it for a few friends, then you charge for it. Not going to take that thought any farther.

You make me laugh! Since my first day here mind you!
I don't think I'll 'charge' the people that aren't friends but I guess at some point I should stop turning down money offered to me.

I absolutely refuse to accept money from friends, and my husband doesn't have any money cause I spend it on my hobby so I can't charge the person I sleep with anyway ;) LOL you bad boy!

Stranger's are fair game hon. Why do you think God made strangers in the forst place. Friends of friends is how it usually starts. Use the money for equipment, Next thing you know you can afford that Nikon with the stilletto heels.

I have trained a lot of young photographers in my life and I have a lot of rules but one I will pass along free no charge at all.... If you do decide to start shooting for money, NEVER NEVER LOOK BETTER THAN THE BRIDE...

I had one partner who had to wear no make up at all and er er adjust her figure to manage it, but she never let me down. The bride wants all eyes on her on her wedding day lol...

Dont be afraid to take money. If the didnt like your work they wouldnt keep having you take their photos! That money can go towards your equipment and/or educational materials. Use the money and the experience to further yourself, dont be afraid to accept the money. The two shots you showed here are pretty good IMO. Keep working and you'll only get better!

I wouldn't take money from family since family do favor for eachother so just consider it a favor. Same thing with close friends.

However, if you're not close with the "client", then I would take the money they offer. The reason is there are many levels of photography and if you think you're on the lower level, then the price you charge should be on the lower level but it doesn't mean you should do it for free just because you're far from perfect. Those that that take perfect picture would charge much much higher than you. Now off course, there are people like me who get pay not to take pictures but then the client wouldn't even send an invitation. lol. So basically, if they ASK for you, then don't feel bad about the the money they offer.

On to the pictures, I think they are great, I especially love the second one, very nice color and detail on the face and those eyes just look right at you, good shot. The first one is good too, nice color. Good job. I would pay for these pictures!

Awe thanks fo rthe advice and the nice comments guys. Yeah I think what I will do is accept it from the people that wer refferred from that party that I went to that I'm not friends wiht...
A family with three kids, a maternity shoot, and a little girl. :) All within the next week! I may not be on here, I'll be busy busy!

I think when people have seen your work and then contact you to take pics of their kids, or themselves, you should charge. It's kind of like applying for a job, you've sent in your resume and they know what you've done and what you're capable of and still want to talk to you about a prospective job. The interview is to see if you are interested in them as well as them checking you out a little more thoroughly. So when someone gives a friend or relative my name and they contact me, I direct them to my website. I tell them to have a look of some things I've done in the past, and if they are pleased w/ the quality, style, etc, then they should also check out my prices. If still interested, there is a link to contact me to arrange a meeting. This takes the pressure of both of us. If they don't like the prices, they don't have to call. There is so much work when you are trying to please someone else, that I am determined to make it worth my while from now on. I've a few paid gigs recently that ended up purchasing a new camera and some other equipment and I'm pretty happy w/ where I'm at now. If I get more gigs in the future, I will use that cash to further my equipment and toys. I have not charged friends so far and I have refused to accept a wedding job for a cousin recently. Too many chances for hard feelings and it's hard to give them a fair price. It's also way too much work to do it for free.

Photography is an expensive hobby and when you have a chance to make it pay for itself, I readily do so (usually).

I always charge family and friends for portraits. But I give them a substantial discount, and I always tell them that the money goes towards materials, supplies, and equipment. They understand that, and they gladly pay what I charge. The price is below what they would normally pay for someone else to do the job. They seem to like the quality just as well (and more so sometimes), and they come back again for more.

Look at it from their point of view. If you knew a friend or relative that did a decent job at photography, would you rather pay them to do the job or pay someone you don't know if the quality and price is the same or somewhat comparable?

NJ

I agree with NJMAN. I don't want to sound like I don't love my family/friends etc...but if I did work for them for free all of the time, I'd barely have enough time to do the work I get paid to do! (I come from a big family and so does my bf so I am constantly doing the family pictures for them). So, as much as I can, I'll give them free prints and do the Post processing work, but every once in awhile I make them pay for their prints. They don't mind. They know that they'd be paying a hell of a lot more if they had to hire someone to get the same quality that they are getting with me. It's just like if you had a friend/relative who did plumbing/car work/real estate etc...would you expect them to do all of your work absolutely free? You'd at least expect to have to pay materials and take them out to dinner or something! In my mind, photography's no different.
If people have seen your work and are offering to pay you, why would you turn them down? (weddings not included).

I have very little family so it was never an issue, besides I'm the black sheep nobody wants me around lol..

I always make any work I do for them a gift. I can't image hounding a family member for money before I shoot a picture of his or her kid. This does not go past the immediate family I might add. Second cousins twice removed pay double. Somebody has to make up for the free graduation pictures of my nephew.

Thanks for all of your advice guys. I guess if I got good enough I wouldn't feel so strange taking money. The family I did photos for three times isn't actually my family, family.. rather my best friend since I was 12 and her children, one of which is my god daughter and the couple are my children's godparents. I just can't see taking money from them.
I suppose if I do pictures for their friends from the baptism I should accept money if it's offered but I'll hold off on having a set price. It's wierd like I knew I wanted to get into photography and I hope one day I'll be good enough to make something form it so I can buy more equipment but I never REALLY thought anyone would offer me money to do it or something. I'm wierd.

Mysteryscribe - I have a hard itme beleiving no one wants you around - you're hilarious. Who wouldn't be happy tp be aquainted?

Most of the people I photograph are either family, friends or people from church. I won't take "sitting fees" from family, but I do let them pay for the prints. For church events, I won't charge the priest, but I do charge everyone else for prints and CD's. For friends and people at church who want portraits and such, I charge for the prints and a little extra for my time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back