Battery Grip - What's the use?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For some reason, I am dying to have a battery grip. Maybe because I am the typical american who thinks bigger is better. (it is) but also everyone I know who has one, just LOVES theirs.

I can think of ONE practical use for it...
so you don't have to switch out batteries as much...

which seems silly, because changing batteries takes a whoppin 30 seconds.

There must be more to it than this, because so many people buy these grips and so many people just "wont do without one". With my 40D, I like that it is heavier, and fits my hands better... it really balances out my 70-200 a lot better than my XT. So, I would assume that a battery grip would help even more. Is this true? Would a grip help with stability in general? What do you guys think?

It'll be for my 40D. Why do people buy these?

Yup, they limit the number of times you have to change batteries on an all day shoot....like at a wedding....

If they also have a vertical shutter release (like the motordrive on my Canon F1), that is worth it right there....

The grip not only effectively doubles the amount of shots you can take, it means you won't miss 'THE shot' or you might not have to change batteries at all, but also my Canon grip for my 30D has a shutter button on it, so when I flip it vertically it fits my hand and it has a control wheel on top for your shutter or aperture(depending on shooting mode) which makes vertical shooting so much easier. It basically adds a second set of controls, but also adds much more battery life. In racing(what you shoot and I previously shot) it's one thing, but in weddings(what I currently shoot), that 30 seconds could mean a lot of lost pictures.

More to hold on to, and they also make portrait shots easier. They have the shutter release, and the adjustment knob and all of that.

it has all the same controls for when you shoot vertically, so you don't have an awkward hand position...it doubles your battery life...and it balances much better with almost any type of lens (puts more weight in your hand instead of at the end of a long lens)

Oh, and obvs bigger is better...

For my pentax k10d the grip was about $160. It seemed a bit much to me, but I figured I was already spending about $1k so what's another few dollars. The difference is quite impressive. It doubles my battery life and I can easily shoot about 1000 frames before it's depleted, plus it has a nifty storage compartment for another SD card. The main difference is the added controls, weight and stability. For portraits, I have the shutter release, the aperture and shutter speed controls still at my thumb and forefinger. As well as another quick adjustment button in the same area. Just having that extra little bit to curve your fingers around adds a lot of stability. I wouldn't shoot without it now.

As mentioned, the extra battery life isn't a big deal but the extra grip and control buttons are very helpful.

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but the battery grip also gives you the ability to use AA batteries. This might be important if you find yourself away from a power source for extended periods of time...and can't charge your regular batteries. AA batteries are avaliable just about anywhere.

One more point, the new battery grip for the 40D, has built in WiFi (or something like that) which would allow you to wirelessly save photos directly to a computer while shooting.

As mentioned, the extra battery life isn't a big deal but the extra grip and control buttons are very helpful.

I don't think anyone mentioned it, but the battery grip also gives you the ability to use AA batteries. This might be important if you find yourself away from a power source for extended periods of time...and can't charge your regular batteries. AA batteries are avaliable just about anywhere.

One more point, the new battery grip for the 40D, has built in WiFi (or something like that) which would allow you to wirelessly save photos directly to a computer while shooting.

There are two grips now for the 40D. The WFT-3A (WiFi one) and the BG-E2N. Unfortunatel the one in my budget (bg-e2n) doesn't have wifi, but the $799 WFT-3A does. I can't find the WFT-3A yet..its ok cause I can't afford it yet. However, next race season, I hope to have it. I think that I could rig up a wireless network so on the track I could shoot, and my wife would get the pics on the booth (not far)..

Thanks for the advice everyone. Surprising as it may seem, I have decided against the grip, and put that money towards a 24mm f/1.8 by Sigma. I think that will be a much better investment at this point in time. Battery grip can wait a bit.

My main fear is that I worry it will look cheesy. I'll spend 150 bucks on a grip, and gain almost nothing, but end up with a cheesy bulky thing on the bottom of my camera... do you guys think it looks cheesy or professional?

I wouldn't worry about how it looks...although, if anything, it would probably make it look more professional. Have you seen what the pro bodies look like?...it's pretty close to the size and shape of a 40D with a grip.

I too have wanted a battery grip for some time. I've even considered the clone grips, some of which are apparently made in the same factory as the Canon ones....but I haven't been able to justify the price.

Yet another benefit to the grip, is that you get another strap attachment on the right side of the camera, so that you can use a hand strap.

..but I haven't been able to justify the price.

yeah... same here..

I have been 'investing' for quite some time, in that when I buy a piece of equip, I want to make sure it makes the money for me...somehow, a grip, though cool, right now doesn't make sense for where I'm at. I posted a topic in the buy/sell that I'd like to buy a used grip. That way, maybe I can buy one used, and then sell it used in a year for about what I paid for it...overall costing me near nothing.

I have huge hands. My Canon 400D (XTi) is tiny. The grip gives me substantially more area to grip.....oh yeah, and battery + vertical shutter release big plus too!

Brian

All my frequently used SLRs have them....

* I shoot a lot of portrait / vertically composed photos and the extra grip/shutter button makes it far more comfortable.

* The extra battery also makes for a longer shooting session without stopping for a swap of batteries.

* It allows my ElanIIe to take AA's which is far easier to find.

* On a small body, the extra weight and size makes it easier to steady the camera.

I have one of the clone grips on my 30D and I love it. I picked it up off ebay for about $100 and it came with 2 rechargeable batteries and a AA battery adapter.I tried taking it off and using my camera without it the other day and it felt really wierd. My little finger was hangin off the camera and my 70-200 made the camera feel top heavy. It also makes shooting portraits a lot easier and more comfortable.

which 'clone' do you have?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back