Bay Area Landscape

glassbuilt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
HI! I'm relatively new to photography so any critique tips or tricks would all be much appreciated!
IMG_2710.jpg

This was taken somewhere near the Golden Gate Bridge at ISO 100, 24mm, and f2.8. I think my f stop should have been a little higher? I'm not exactly sure if that is recommended for sort of landscapes

Although that is a great lens, 2.8 is not as good as, say, f5.6 or f8 just to ensure that image quality (IQ) is the best.
You have lots of room in both the shutter speed and the ISO.
In terms of this exposure exactly, the middle tones look sort of muddy and indistinct and the contrast is rather low.

data-plus.jpg

In terms of composition, it seems to me that it would be stronger if there were more at the bottom, (to give the appearance of 'from here to out there') and more on the left to give the feeling of being open to the wild bay. (altho the bay isn't that wild.) Not much would be lost of the sky, there is plenty left.

Good attempt, keep it up.
(I can't figure out where that was taken from, maybe the parking lot at the city side of the Golden Gate bridge? or partway across the bridge?)

Lew

IMG_2710lllll.jpg

Lew said it right. I'm in San José, welcome to another bay area enthusiast.

Although that is a great lens, 2.8 is not as good as, say, f5.6 or f8 just to ensure that image quality (IQ) is the best.
You have lots of room in both the shutter speed and the ISO.
In terms of this exposure exactly, the middle tones look sort of muddy and indistinct and the contrast is rather low.

View attachment 94023

In terms of composition, it seems to me that it would be stronger if there were more at the bottom, (to give the appearance of 'from here to out there') and more on the left to give the feeling of being open to the wild bay. (altho the bay isn't that wild.) Not much would be lost of the sky, there is plenty left.

Good attempt, keep it up.
(I can't figure out where that was taken from, maybe the parking lot at the city side of the Golden Gate bridge? or partway across the bridge?)

Lew

View attachment 94026
This is the original file, I cropped it out because I did not want the horizon along the middle line of the photo but I completely understand what you are saying. When I took the shot I wasn't thinking too much and forgot to bump up the f stop and only realized my mistake when I was in post. Is there any way I could fix my exposure problem in post? Or is that a simply something I had to have set when taking the shot @The_Traveler thank you for all your feedback! It is much appreciated
bay area non crop.jpg

also I believe this was taken partway across the bridge. Not sure but almost positive it was

I like the original one. Try processing it with a -1 filter from above, in order to bring out more details of the sky.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back