Beginner to photography---help please!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Cereal, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Cereal

Cereal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm going to school for photography and I need help deciding what camera I should get for my classes. I would also like to know what schooling I need and what jobs could be offered for me. I'm so new to this concept. I've heard the Nikon D40 is what's best for me, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks so much. ^-^

2. Val

Val TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you want DSLR, D40 is a great choice. If money is no object, then D300. Dont forget that lenses are more significant then bodies. So better to have D40 with lenses you want then a kit D300.

3. Kawi_T

Kawi_T TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You can read on here for hours on hours about the drawbacks of the D40. Lenses are very expensive. If you're going to school for photography and plan on making a career out of it, do yourself a favor and spend a little more and get the D80. I own a D40X. Its a nice camera and takes nice pics. When I started looking into lenses I realized the mistake I made.

...... on the other hand, want to buy a slightly used D40X?

4. Val

Val TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  5. frXnz kafka

frXnz kafka TPF Noob!

Either go with a D80, or go with a different brand. Nikon is an excellent company, but the limits of the D40 are not worth it.

What's your budget?

6. Josh_C

Josh_C TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You want to buy something you can grow into, not out of. I bought the d40x as my first dslr. I love it, its lightweight, and not as complicated as other cams. The pictures I have taken are awesome! But if I could do it all over agian, I would have gotten the d80.

7. Cereal

Cereal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the help! I'm looking into the D80 now.

I'm also not sure if I need to go into photography. My mom says that there are not enough open jobs for me. All the colleges around for photography are FAR away and I can't attend them yet. My mom wants me to go to school for a side job for my photography career. I can do that or take online photography courses. What do ya'll reccomend?

8. Jbs

Jbs TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    get something that can accept more lenses like a canon rebel if you are on a budget. glass is more important than body and you want to be able to buy nice glass and AF w/ it haha

9. Kazoo

Kazoo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I 2nd Jbs on spending more money on your lenses.

As far as school goes, study what you love. If you're lucky, you'll get paid to do what you love. Speaking from personal experience, it's much easier sweating over exams if you are actually interested in knowing what the answers are for personal curiosity. I studied zoology, wish I'd done a minor in english and presently I work for a bank.

If you have time before you are going into college, why not try out one of the online photography courses to give you a taste, and then there is still so much more you'd learn going to college for photography after.

If this helps, here's a site of someone who went to school for photography, found work, and well I'll let you read the rest:
    http://www.momsaysimrunningaway.com/index.php?s=def jam

10. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you go Nikon Id suggest searching for a refurbished D50 with a warranty or, the D80. I have the D80 and, it is a great camera. With the kit lense you will get alot of play with that for awhile.

11. photographydame

photographydame TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I first started with with Canon Rebel XT. It helped me to familiarize myself with all the functions. I've been building with my lenses and recently updated to the XTi. Eventually, I will change to a higher Canon and will be able to keep my lenses as I advance. Good Luck!

12. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't listen to your mom. I know they have experience in life...but if you give up on something you enjoy, then what's the point of going to school at all?
    I'm planning on moving away next fall for college in a totally different city 8 hours away. Just to take photography. Now, I don't know if I'll learn something...or if I'll end up with a career...but I know I'd enjoy it. And, if at the end of the day I have my name on a little paper saying I'm qualified for yada yada yada, then I can get a job doing it...cause paper means way too much in this world.