Beginner to Product Photography asking for advice, C&C.

we rescued her at 6mo. but she was a little out of control and ran off...got hit by a car...on that leg....the operation was botched and an infection took over ...we fought the infection for about a year until it threatened her life so the leg had to go. She's fully recovered and I think she's so well behaved now is because we spent so much time with her while she had the leg problem....she was actually tied to the kitchen table for 6 mo. for healing after the car accident and had to be carried on the stairs.....once the leg was removed she was fine in 15 days..amazing!

we rescued her at 6mo. but she was a little out of control and ran off...got hit by a car...on that leg....the operation was botched and an infection took over ...we fought the infection for about a year until it threatened her life so the leg had to go. She's fully recovered and I think she's so well behaved now is because we spent so much time with her while she had the leg problem....she was actually tied to the kitchen table for 6 mo. for healing after the car accident and had to be carried on the stairs.....once the leg was removed she was fine in 15 days..amazing!

WOW, that's amazing! I'm glad she's doing well :D

WOW, that's amazing! I'm glad she's doing well :D

So how are the photos going? Yove' seleced one of the toughest subjects to shoot....I'll be doing a video on it soon..but try the tissue and also add a couple of clear bulbs without diffussion to get the sparkle...but at a much lower wattage

So how are the photos going? Yove' seleced one of the toughest subjects to shoot....I'll be doing a video on it soon..but try the tissue and also add a couple of clear bulbs without diffussion to get the sparkle...but at a much lower wattage

Not as well as I'd hoped. The lighting is working well...I set a doubled sheet of Muslin on the coffee table and used other square sheets of muslin to diffuse the three clamp lights and it's a lot smoother, now I just need to get that LED torch to make the diamonds sparkle...or as you suggested clear bulbs.

Basically just need to do some testing/learning.

Still though, the lens (or lack OF a macro lens) is frustrating the hell out of me. I can't even fill 10% of the frame if I want to get a semi decent focus, then at a 100% crop (which leaves a good border on the ring) it's fuzzy as hell. If I get closer and fill the frame with more of the ring, it's worse.

But..I'm stubborn and determined to make the kit lens work well enough to warrant making some money for these shots (no, not PRO, money from my parents). A kind of "prove myself" thing to my folks to invest in my future as a photographer. Being a single unemployed father sucks lol

Anyway, I'll continue to try the suggestions and EAGERLY await your new video on this!

to add sparkle try gloss silver paper.....from the arts&crafts store...make small mirrors and reflect onto the facets of the diamond.....try extension tube for close up..but you will lose depth of field..it depends on how much focus you want..

Add more pics when you retry! I love seeing the progress!

to add sparkle try gloss silver paper.....from the arts&crafts store...make small mirrors and reflect onto the facets of the diamond.....try extension tube for close up..but you will lose depth of field..it depends on how much focus you want..

Bummed today, found my local 2nd hand camera store website said they had a set of 3 extension tubes for dirt cheap...$30. Went there, someone had beat me to it only hours before. Grr...

But...they did have a 50mm f/4 macro lens for $115. Wish I had the money, soon maybe. Until then, I'm stuck with the kit lens. So, I'll work on getting the light right for when I can actually take pics that are in focus lol

BTW....where's more videos of yours?! I've finished watching all on your site and I'm quite anxious for more. Great stuff!

Add more pics when you retry! I love seeing the progress!

Thank you, I will do so ASAP. I've been busy playing daddy day-care to my daughter since it's spring break for her lol

You are very creative and innovative!
But I def like what you have as a result....when I looked at your first pics I was about to say that there's no little space to capture things (and probably that's why you cropped camera ans camera case a little))) but jewelry itself is small and looks good!

What's your zoom?

You are very creative and innovative!
But I def like what you have as a result....when I looked at your first pics I was about to say that there's no little space to capture things (and probably that's why you cropped camera ans camera case a little))) but jewelry itself is small and looks good!

What's your zoom?

Thanks!

I'm just using the stock K-x + 18-55mm kit lens. The EXIF should be embedded in each photo, sometimes it works, others it doesn't...lol

I do have a 105mm f/2.8 Macro coming soon though, I'm excited to get some really nice and sharp images with it. I'll post them up as soon as I get it!

Sigma | 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax | 257109

:drool:

Alright folks...

Haven't received the macro lens yet, but I was asked to take some shots of Scottish Sporrans for sale. Here are the results. I'll have the sporrans for another day or two, so I can reshoot, and after looking at them I think the DoF is too shallow...what do you think? C&C always appreciated!

I'll post a few actual photos, and a link to the Flickr set for those that would like to see them all. EXIF data included in each photo.

1) I like the sporran, but after I shot it, I realized it's rather flat.
4498828828_361129a288_b.jpg

2) Much better angle from here out...
4498193863_10376d51ff_b.jpg

3)
4498195117_14458df309_b.jpg

The rest here: Scottish Sporrans - a set on Flickr

Thanks for viewing!

#1 is the closest for white balance :)

Still could use a bit more back light on the left side....

I think #3 is the best angle, same problem on the left side.

Cheers, Don

I see what you're saying about the WB & the light on the left. I'll fix that in the reshoot if I can.

Thanks Mr. Kondra! ;)

Are you still using the box for these shots ?

It would be a lot easier to use a reflector without the box for these objects...

Even a piece of cardboard covered with tin foil would do it.

Cheers, Don

Are you still using the box for these shots ?

It would be a lot easier to use a reflector without the box for these objects...

Even a piece of cardboard covered with tin foil would do it.

Cheers, Don

I did use the box, only because I don't have enough materials (or stands for the clamp lights) to use an open flat table with reflectors. I'll adjust the lights tomorrow.

In the mean time, I went back and fixed the WB in Lightroom:

Some different items this time:

1)
4498586607_fc39f43d8d_b.jpg

2)
4499225636_67116872f6_b.jpg

3)
4498590225_90ee31201d_b.jpg

I deleted the original photos and posted up the new photos, replacing the original set. Scottish Sporrans - a set on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back