Beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by VaE39, Jul 15, 2007.

1. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello everyone,
    I just wanted to say hello. I love photography but I have no experience but I'm willing to learn. I've taking a few nice pictures here and there with point and shoots but I want to actually get a DSLR while I can get a discount while I work at a camera store for the summer. What would you suggest as a good beginner SLR for me? I want to keep pursuing this, but Hey I gotta start somewhere. Thanks for the help everyone.

2. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    What's your budget?

3. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well I get about a 25% discount on any camera and a 45% discount on olympus slrs. That being said, after the discount I have a budget of about $400-600. Something not too advanced for me I guess.

4. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    Is that a combined 70% discount? Or max 45% on the Olympus.

The Evolt-410 is highly recommended by Dpreview (although some of their cons would turn me personally off). However for the money and the discount you receive it might be an attractive offer - come out to around 500 or so with a 45% discount.

The Canon 400XT (700 bucks or so) is probably going to be a better buy however - cheaper (base price), greater resale value and no doubt better web presence to assist with any issues you might have.

It occupies that "high end amateur" dSLR strata, so pick up Understanding Exposure, and be sure to read the manual and it would be a very good first dSLR purchase. Use your employee discount to grab a nice prime lens and away you go.

5. jon_k

jon_k TPF Noob!

North Richland Hills (Ft. Worth suburb) TX
    Photos OK to edit
    I wonder if all camera stores give discounts. I'd almost work 2 jobs, one full time and part time at a camera store just to get the discounts! :lol:

6. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the info. Yeah its pretty killer discount. 25% on all cameras and max 45% for Olympus. I can get a E510 for 500 or so. I'll look into that 400XT. What about the good ole Nikon D40?

7. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon D40 is a good camera, with lens limitations. The D40 has no internal auto-focus (AF) motor, so if you want auto focus (and using a digital its almost a must), you'll have to get lenses that have the auto-focus on the lens itself. It it doesn't - its all manual mode, which can be a pain especially when you THINK you got that image right, and on later review its not.

Also, this removes prime lenses from your arsenal as well - which is a HUGE downer.

Does your place have any D50's?

8. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok thats what I've heard. So I'm guessing no internal af is a downer for a beginner. But its hard to say which brand is better. I'm thinking Canon would be the easier to upgrade later on down the road. What do you think about the rebel xt. I'll check on D50s later

9. three_eyed_otter

three_eyed_otter TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :pJust to jerk the thread a little; does anybody think Nikon will make some prime lenses for the D40?

have a good one
    3Eo

10. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another option would be to just get a used dslr from somewhere. Like Bhphoto.com maybe? Another other suggestions?

11. Smith2688

Smith2688 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why must one use autofocus when shooting digital? How is manual focus any different on a modern digital SLR versus a modern film SLR? The only difference is the recording medium.

12. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the computers rate of error in this regard is significantly less than the humans. Just an assumption though.