Best All-Around Camera

Nealman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I'm new here. I'm thinking of upgrading to a nicer camera, so I'm wondering if someone could offer me some recommendations. Hopefully, this is the right place. I want a decent all-around camera for low light, bright light, macro, zoom, etc. that is somewhat portable. Now I know that my best bet would be an interchangeable lens camera, but since I want to take it when I travel, carrying multiple lenses isn't exactly convenient. I'm still open to them, though, if there is nothing else that offers everything I want. I would also like manual controls so I can learn real photography and because I like to have control and the interaction, but hopefully there can also be an automatic mode for quick shots. I really like having a viewfinder, if that's possible. The Sony RX100 III seems to be mostly what I'm looking for though more manual control buttons and better zoom would be nice. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you! That looks like a good option.

So is mirrorless the way to go now? It seems like they are a good balance between everything.

You are going to get filled with different choices and all will be correct.
Sony RX100 III is an excellent camera
Sony a6000 is also a wonderful choice.
MFT is indeed a great compromise between size and performance.

Me ?

I would go with what I consider the best general use camera in the market and thats Nikon D750, not small but when its time to shoot in any condition of what ever subject this camera will do the work better then anything offered here but its will mean carrying few lenses.

If you don't need an EVF, you could look at the Sony A5100. It has the same sensor and is as fast as the A6000.
But it's smaller and lighter, so easier to take with you.
Rudi

I think the Sony RX100M3 is a pretty good all around performer. I've been wanting to pick one up for when I really need to travel light or don't want to carry my DSLR with me.

I think the Sony RX100M3 is a pretty good all around performer. I've been wanting to pick one up for when I really need to travel light or don't want to carry my DSLR with me.
From the reviews this Sony is the perfect companion if you want to go compact and small.
Still travel is exactly when I want my most potent tool, my DSLR is exactly when I use it the most in travels and trips.
To each his/her own :)

The one compact I would buy but it is probably way over budget and that is the Sony RX1/r
Agree and disagree, its awesome with its FF sensor but since it has a 35mm fixed lens then its more directed at street photography.
So it depends of your style of shooting. Birding, portraits and sports this is just not right camera.
Landscape and city street its perfect.

The one compact I would buy but it is probably way over budget and that is the Sony RX1/r
Agree and disagree, its awesome with its FF sensor but since it has a 35mm fixed lens then its more directed at street photography.
So it depends of your style of shooting. Birding, portraits and sports this is just not right camera.
I shoot with 28,35,50 used to shoot with 70-200f2.8 and 300f2.8 and 35 is much more fun and makes you a better photographer

I shoot with 28,35,50 used to shoot with 70-200f2.8 and 300f2.8 and 35 is much more fun and makes you a better photographer
No argument here, to each his own.
As I said it depends of users style.
For me it wouldn't work but that's just me.
I can on a good travel day be shooting wild life then portraits, then street candids and to finish night photography so for me flexibility is super important.
35mm only is too specialized and limiting for me.
I assume OP will not want to spend the huge price the RX1 commands but if he has the money and like the 35mm fixed lens then this is an amazing camera!

I can on a good travel day be shooting wild life then portraits, then street candids and to finish night photography so for me flexibility is super important.

This is exactly what I want to be able to do, with some occasional sports photography. I think I'm going to get the Sony a6000, it seems to be what I'm looking for.

This is exactly what I want to be able to do, with some occasional sports photography. I think I'm going to get the Sony a6000, it seems to be what I'm looking for.
Sony a6000 is a good mirrorless camera with a fantastic sensor and very resonable price but it has one problem that all of current Sony cameras suffer from and thats a very poor lens collection.
They just dont have good fast zoom lenses.
If you are ok with it then the a6000 is a good choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back