Best entry level for $700-$1000

bombular

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I'm new to this forum and am thinking about buying a camera. I am interested in a camera with amazing image quality. I would like it to have a touch screen display. Also I would like the ability to record in 1080/60p. I would like to have the hdr feature. I want one lens for close ups and medium distance and one for long distance. Thanks.[emoji3]

Amazing image quality is almost entire a function of photographer skill and knowledge for using light to advantage.

IMO the best camera in that price range, not including lenses, would be a well cared for used
Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR (Body Only)

For lenses (also well cared for used):
This lens has a switchable close up (macro) capability from 35 mm to 85 mm.
Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens

For long distance (and one of Nikon's best lens values):
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
With your requested features, check out the Olympus OMD E-M10. $749. Fantastic camera and excellent reviews. It's worth at least looking into and reading reviews. It competes well with (and in some area, well exceeds) entry level DSLR cameras. And for $250, you can get the long 40-150mm.

Amazon.com : Olympus OM-D E-M10 Compact System Camera with 14-42mm 2RK Lens (Black) : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : Olympus M. 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R Zoom Lens (Black) for Olympus and Panasonic Micro 4/3 Cameras - International Version (No Warranty) : Surveillance Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo

Amazing image quality is almost entire a function of photographer skill and knowledge for using light to advantage.

IMO the best camera in that price range, not including lenses, would be a well cared for used
Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR (Body Only)

For lenses (also well cared for used):
This lens has a switchable close up (macro) capability from 35 mm to 85 mm.
Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens

For long distance (and one of Nikon's best lens values):
Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR Nikkor Zoom Lens
What would be best new camera?

The best camera is usually somewhat subjective, even in different price ranges. There are many manufacturers out there with cameras in different levels that all compete with each other, much like any other product in this world.

That being said, there are 2 main manufacturers that the majority of DSLR users go for, Canon and Nikon. I would recommend going with one of those 2 for the simple fact that there's a huge used market that will make good lenses more affordable. I don't know if either offer a touch screen or how useful that would even be with normal usage.

As stated in this thread, good photos are almost entirely made by the person taking them. I would get on youtube and start searching for videos about beginner photography, etc... Keep in mind there's a fair learning curve before you start getting anything overly nice.

I personally use a nikon d7100. You could start with a D3300 or D5300 if you wanted to save some cash. You could even find a nice used D90 or D7100 for a great price. I can't really recommend any Canon options, but there is a lot of info on google about any brand options. In that price range your best bet really is used, especially if you want lenses with that price. My cheapest lens was $200, my most expensive was $2400.

It appears that an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus will give you exactly what you want, actually, other than the lens for shooting far-away subjects. Oh well.

In my opinion, the cameras that are closest to meeting your requirements are the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 and DMC-GX7. They both have a touchscreen and they can shoot 1080/60p video. They have a big sensor and interchangeable lenses.

Keep in mind, though, that you won't see "amazing image quality" with any equipment if you don't thoroughly learn to use it.

Most reactions

Back