Best place to buy camera equipment with monthly payment option?

With tax, the camera is going to cost about $2845 - that is a lot of money for this camera.

I do not purchase anything that I cannot pay for today (except the living space)....but that is just the way I was brought up.

DON't DO IT!!!

I agree with saving up the money and then buying it. Put $50, $100 or $200 a month away and don't touch it. 2 things will happen - 1) you'll not have a bill on your hands and 2) you're not paying for a camera that might be replaced in the time you are still paying it off and then you'll possibly regret it.

if you bank 120 bucks a month for 2 year you might be able to buy the replacement....

if its 0 interest, why not. you just have to make your payment.

Id rather pay 100 bucks a month for something that i will fully enjoy than wait 2 year to get it.

in 2 year when your done paying it, you can still get a few 100s that you can put towards another one.

You ask any economist which one is better, they will say same as cash is better as long as you pay it off. Let me worry about my financial situation please.

It is ill conceived to finance a hobby. If you can't pay cash or pay the credit card off in the same billing cycle, I would reconsider and save until you can.

Absolutely the best advice.

Go into debt for a house & MAYBE a car only.

Just trying to be helpful and give you the other side of the coin!

And as far as economists ... they don't all agree on the economy of things ... the federal government has their interest rates at 0% financing for the banks and I hear all sorts of different opinions from economists! And that is assuming you can pay it off.

You ask any economist which one is better, they will say same as cash is better as long as you pay it off. Let me worry about my financial situation please.

"as long as you pay it off". If you don't.......

Which is why saving the money is the better option.

"Let me worry about my financial situation please."

You're the one that raised the question on a public forum. If you don't want public comment, don't post.

Pretty sure he asked if anyone knew of places that would do monthly payments, dont remember asking should i buy equipment on credit being in the title. either ya know of places or ya dont, maybe he has no bills, or is getting a huge tax refund next year, he looks like a big boy that can make his own decisions.

I bought my 7D @ best buy with a best buy credit card and accumilated points from using their credit card on all other purchases too. They also do price match if you find it cheeper. Its gotta be in-store purchase though...

I should start paying my mortgage with my credit card ! lol

HAHA I get to.... Well it is rent but they take a card......They charge a fee of like $10 for charges over $300 which every bodies rent is over that of course...
I asked if I could just pay half and half to keep it under 300 and avoid the fee...She looked at me funny and said.."G...no one ever thought of that.It's a good idea"

LOL...FREE POINTS!!

HMMM, I would wait for a credit card offer with 0% interest, or wait for a sale somehwhere. You can also try joining a credit union and usually you can get better interest rates on credit cards and loans.

Slightly different than what you are looking for....I had the perfect plan the other day, but so far its been ruined........

Costco membership is $50 bucks a month and they take back pretty much ANYTHING no matter what. Well for a while they had the 7D and 5D on their website. So I figured, you buy one ( not the greatest price for them mind you ) use it for a few months, and return it. Make up some BS about not liking it, or dead pixels or whatever else you want. It would be the greatest way to "Rent" an extra camera for a wedding. HAHA

As of now, they no longer are showing up online. All I see is the Rebels and a 50D. They always change inventory though. They also have Nikon SB-600 and SB-900 flashes and I think the D90 and D5000 if you were a nikon user.

"as long as you pay it off". If you don't.......

Which is why saving the money is the better option.

"Let me worry about my financial situation please."

You're the one that raised the question on a public forum. If you don't want public comment, don't post.

The name of his thread wasn’t "Is it better to finance a camera, or buy it with cash?” I see this so much on the internet, people twisting others words around.

And guess what, he’s right and you’re wrong.

You shouldn't be worried about his financial situation, because it’s none of your business. Do you care to argue this with me? I doubt it.

Yeah I generally don't buy anything unless I have the money to pay for it now, just in case. That being said, if you buy it form B&H and use BillMeLater, you get 6months no interest no payments, thats what I used. I've used BillMeLater (PayPal) for when I build PCs and I've charged 1500-2000 @6mo. no interest/no payments about 3-4 times, they run a great site/service.

If you don't pay it off by the promotion date you're in for a penalty (all the interest you hadn't gotten thus far), so do this if you can pay 1/6th of the price each month or like I generally do, have the money beforehand but hold onto it to use it to make more money in the meantime :)

p.s. this promotion changes, but its usually 6mos. no interest/payments (it is right now) so if its not when you want to buy it, it probably will be soon; just look under the "protection plans" radio buttons to the left of the "Add to Cart" button..

If done properly and carefully managed, these type of budgeted payment plans can be beneficial. As long as your long term savings aren't being ignored and it's being done with disposable income, doing it this way can take advantage of promotional offers, rewards points, ect. I in fact do this sometimes. Use their credit card, buy it, pay it off in 6 months and get the $100 gift card or what ever the promotional offer was, then cancel my account and go on my merry way. You just have to watch out for early payment penalties that some retailers tack on there to discourage people from doing exactly what I do. If a good, well thought out opportunity presents itself, take it.

Use the credit card to purchase big ticket items because there are protections with many credit cards that can protect you in the case of problems with the product or if there is some other type of dispute.

That being said, make sure you've saved enough up before hand so you can pay it off quickly and stick it to them by not carrying a balance.

It is ill conceived to finance a hobby. If you can't pay cash or pay the credit card off in the same billing cycle, I would reconsider and save until you can.

I tend to agree with this. I set up a savings account for camera gear only. It's got a loooong way to go but I'll get there and won't end up paying a credit card at 15-30%. Free financing is fine as long as you're not gonna miss a payment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back