Best Tablet Solution For Photographers

For you to justify the price of the hardware you are getting is pretty idiotic to me. So to each it's own. Im just trying to prove that there is much better alternatives out there, so there is no need for insults like that.

Im glad that it benefits your business in ways you couldn't imagine before, but you can always improve that experience with different products.

Where was I trying to justify the price?

I am countering your repeated claim that the iPad is a toy, or an expensive thing to play childish games on.
I dont need to improve my experience. So far, everytime I wondered if the iPad can do something I need, I have found apps to do it. I have yet to be let down.
I have found, owning a business, that it is incredibly usefull for productivity and pretty damn convenient to have when meeting customers outside my shop.
You have yet to counter where it falls short for that. Oh yeah, you did bring up the inability to run Photoshop. But like I said before, how many tablets can handle CS5 and multiple full res fullframe image files? Better yet, who the hell really wants to edit images on such a tiny screen? I don't. I already have apps that I can edit photos posted here on the forum, for quick and dirty, heres what I thought edits. But I would never think to edit a photo to print on a hand held device, or even a laptop for that matter.

Yes, there are more options now in the tablet market. Apple was the second to bring one to market, and look how they sold! Of course, like all electronics, it is quickly outdated. Everything you bring up as being better than the iPad now, will have even more, even better competition next year, and the year after that.

It also seems, that you want a tablet to BE a desktop, and that is not what they are meant to be.

So, do you want to reign this back to your point of contention?
Is the iPad a useful tool for business AND pleasure, or just an expensive toy to play childish games on? Remember, those were your words, your argument.

By the way, is your camera making you money, or is it just an expensive toy that you like playing with at the moment?
There are also much better cameras than the D90. Why didn't you buy the better camera?

Last edited:
Ok i see your point, i guess everyone sees it differently. My job is advise people on better technology and best bang for the buck but obviously my advice is not needed in this situation. And to be honest my camera is my toy, and i wish i had a better camera but unfortunately i couldn't afford that at the moment. And you say they are not meant to be desktop's but i say why not? i mean it brings more benefit to everyone lets you run all your apps that you run at home but on the go now, theres really no downside. It's just very sad that Apple has been trying to work on Flash since the first iphone came out and still haven't got it but yet countless other operating systems have successfully done this in a short amount of time. You obviously like your ipad so im gonna just leave at that.

Apple has been working on Flash since the iPhone came out? I thought they refused to include flash compatibility in their iOS products since the iPhone came out.

The whole reason apple keeps dodging Flash is because they think its going to backfire on them and that it is too buggy even though Adobe will help them out. So who knows maybe the ipads and iphone will never have flash, and because of that people will be missing half of the graphics out there on the internet.

Ok i see your point, i guess everyone sees it differently. My job is advise people on better technology and best bang for the buck but obviously my advice is not needed in this situation.
Ah...so what is the best advice, keep waiting till next year, cuz things will be moar better?
Is your job to put down products (childs toy comment) or give all the features, benefits, and drawbacks of products to help your client make an informed decision.
Because that's not what you have done here. You put down a product, and refused to back it up, while actual users could.

And you say they are not meant to be desktop's but i say why not?
Someday they may be, but right now they are not. There are several applications I just can't imagine doing on a 10xwhatever screen using your finger and a pop up keyboard. I think we are still a quite few years out on when a tablet will be able to run both light room and photoshop, open at the same time to edit multiple 21mp images. I still wouldn't want to do that, but whatever.

i mean it brings more benefit to everyone lets you run all your apps that you run at home but on the go now, theres really no downside.
I understand that. But there has been no downside for me (and I doubt I am a minority) with the iPad either. Aside from Flash, which I just don't see as a neccesity anyhow. It's not just Apple either.
The iPad, wasn't the first tablet, but not many know what the first actually was, is already way more convenient than my laptop. I hated carying that thing around. The iPad on the other hand goes with me everywhere.

It's just very sad that Apple has been trying to work on Flash since the first iphone came out and still haven't got it but yet countless other operating systems have successfully done this in a short amount of time. You obviously like your ipad so im gonna just leave at that.

I am not an apple fanboy, I do love my iPad and iPhone, but would never buy a Mac. I think Apple is/was stupid for not getting onboard with flash, but again, it's really been no loss to me. remember, there wasn't much else on the market when I bought it. I have no regrets, have actually been more surprised with what it can do. I don't see a need to upgrade in the near future.
I will say the iPad 2 was a let down. Not much new to even think once about upgrading. I give the product 2 years before I look for moar better. :)

So many rumors about the flash deal.

I heard Apple wanted it for a steal, and Adobe was being greedy and not budging.
I also heard that flash was too clunky at the time to work with mobile OS's.

*shrug*

Missing "half the graphics" on the web? Seriously?
The #1 most common site I run into flash with is amateur photography pages. lulz

eCommerce sites using flash, (in my shopping experience) has been extrememly rare.

Thanks for all the discussion here guys. We may end up looking at the pc versions too. I've been doing some more research, and as far as the tablet goes, I'm actually considering the Superpad2. Any experience with that? Looks like a reasonable price and the ability for flash.

Thanks for all the discussion here guys. We may end up looking at the pc versions too. I've been doing some more research, and as far as the tablet goes, I'm actually considering the Superpad2. Any experience with that? Looks like a reasonable price and the ability for flash.

The biggest issue I see with it is the screen.
IT is just a standard single point resistive TN panel. So no pinch zoom or any other neat tricks that need more than one touch point, plus it will not be nearly as responsive as the capacitive touch screens

Other issues are as follows.
B/G wireless only, with no N support transfers could be slowed down, most new devices should be supporting wireless N.
All Plastic, it might not be a durable (This is a minor thing)
No official app store support. It is an easy change to get access to the apps store, but is does not have native access to it.

Hope that helps.

So who knows maybe the ipads and iphone will never have flash, and because of that people will be missing half of the graphics out there on the internet.
I'm sorry, I'm a web designer and I can tell you that it's far from being around 50% of the graphics on the internet...it's more along the line of 10-15%. Flash really isn't important anymore since the release of HTML5 and CSS3 almost everything Flash can do can also be done through basic HTML & CSS...
My guess is that in 5 years no one will design using Flash... Right now if they choose to use Flash they're already a moron :p

Last edited:
I'm typing this on my Asus EP121 slate. Windows 7, quad core CPU, USB ports, bluetooth, Wacom digitizer, etc. Basically a laptop without keyboard. I have all the Canon software for tethering, post procesing, etc., I can use it on my desk with a keyboard & mouse as a regular PC, and I use it as a tablet while sitting on the couch surfing the Internet, reading email, using the Kindle app, etc. It's the only tablet I've seen that can also be a true laptop replacement.

What kind of battery life do you get on the Asus?

I'm typing this on my Asus EP121 slate. Windows 7, quad core CPU, USB ports, bluetooth, Wacom digitizer, etc. Basically a laptop without keyboard. I have all the Canon software for tethering, post procesing, etc., I can use it on my desk with a keyboard & mouse as a regular PC, and I use it as a tablet while sitting on the couch surfing the Internet, reading email, using the Kindle app, etc. It's the only tablet I've seen that can also be a true laptop replacement.

What kind of battery life do you get on the Asus?

You really don't want to know :(

I can stretch it to about 4 hours. Battery life wasn't one my main criteria when I was searching for a tablet, but if it's one of your criteria, then this may not be the device for you.

So who knows maybe the ipads and iphone will never have flash, and because of that people will be missing half of the graphics out there on the internet.
I'm sorry, I'm a web designer and I can tell you that it's far from being around 50% of the graphics on the internet...it's more along the line of 10-15%. Flash really isn't important anymore since the release of HTML5 and CSS3 almost everything Flash can do can also be done through basic HTML & CSS...
My guess is that in 5 years no one will design using Flash... Right now if they choose to use Flash they're already a moron :p

Love it.

That's basically what my web designer said.

That graphic may have been relevant 10 years ago. In order to be accurate for today's world, the text needs to read:

"We are Google of Borg. You will be assimilated. Macintosh is irrelevant. Windows is irrelevant. Your privacy is irrelevant. We will add your individual currency to our own. Resistance is futile. Don't be evil (let us handle that)."

It's still relevant for all those Microsoft groupies. :lol: As for the Google privacy issue, it really isn't that much of an issue if you take a couple of simple precautions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back