Best Tablet Solution For Photographers

As for the Google privacy issue, it really isn't that much of an issue if you take a couple of simple precautions.

Personally I think it's an enormous issue. Their entire revenue stream is built on your personal information and that's the basis for every product that they offer. Who you're calling, who you're emailing, what you're taking pictures of, where you physically are located in the world, the kinds of stores you're going to, etc etc. Why do you think they offer the products that they offer, and why do you think that they offer them for free or ridiculously cheap? It's to get you, or more importantly - your data - on their platform, on their servers. To learn as much about you as they possibly can and then monetize that knowledge, that's why. They're an *advertising* company. Not a phone company, not a software company, not an email hoster....an ADVERTISING company. 97% of their revenue comes from advertising. The single, only reason that they're involved in such a wide range of products is to get your data. Period. That's not me being paranoid, that's a fact and Google themselves don't hide that fact. That's their business model, their competitive advantage. Why do you think they're pulling out of health care? Because HIPAA and other regulations make it impossible for them to monetize the data that they have access to through their health care products, so therefore they have no reason to be in the health care vertical.

I agree that you can take some precautions, but my personal issue is the foundation that their entire business model is built on and what I feel is "trickery" and deceipt used to gain access to personal information, at the expense of uninformed consumers. They want consumers to think they have a great email platform, when in reality they only want you on their email platform so they can crawl your emails and sell targetted ads to you (just one example of their business model at work). That's why there isn't a single Google product or website, with the exception of YouTube, that you'll ever catch me using.

But, I'm getting WAY off topic here and my blood starts boiling anytime I think about Google for too long, so I need to go do something else now. :)

tons of sites out there that used to just run flash sites have also added non flash sites as well. i thought flash was going to be a big deal when i bought the ipad for my wife a year ago but i can think of maybe a couple of times at most that i wasnt able to view something because of flash. its not as big a deal as people lead you to believe.

As for the Google privacy issue, it really isn't that much of an issue if you take a couple of simple precautions.

Personally I think it's an enormous issue. Their entire revenue stream is built on your personal information and that's the basis for every product that they offer. Who you're calling, who you're emailing, what you're taking pictures of, where you physically are located in the world, the kinds of stores you're going to, etc etc. Why do you think they offer the products that they offer, and why do you think that they offer them for free or ridiculously cheap? It's to get you, or more importantly - your data - on their platform, on their servers. To learn as much about you as they possibly can and then monetize that knowledge, that's why. They're an *advertising* company. Not a phone company, not a software company, not an email hoster....an ADVERTISING company. 97% of their revenue comes from advertising. The single, only reason that they're involved in such a wide range of products is to get your data. Period. That's not me being paranoid, that's a fact and Google themselves don't hide that fact. That's their business model, their competitive advantage. Why do you think they're pulling out of health care? Because HIPAA and other regulations make it impossible for them to monetize the data that they have access to through their health care products, so therefore they have no reason to be in the health care vertical.

I agree that you can take some precautions, but my personal issue is the foundation that their entire business model is built on and what I feel is "trickery" and deceipt used to gain access to personal information, at the expense of uninformed consumers. They want consumers to think they have a great email platform, when in reality they only want you on their email platform so they can crawl your emails and sell targetted ads to you (just one example of their business model at work). That's why there isn't a single Google product or website, with the exception of YouTube, that you'll ever catch me using.

But, I'm getting WAY off topic here and my blood starts boiling anytime I think about Google for too long, so I need to go do something else now. :)

What happens when I mention Facebook and privacy issues???:lol:

Last edited:

So why use google. No one forces you to do so. You state yourself that they don't hide the fact. There are other search engines, calendars, e-mail, map ect programs out there. No one forces you to do so. If you willingly use them you have nothing to complain about.

What happens when I mention Facebook and privacy issues???:lol:

Nothing. Because sharing is the fundamental attraction of Facebook. People go there to share something with their friends. If you don't want Facebook to share your address, than don't give your address to Facebook. Problem solved.

Google is an entirely different story. Not only are they pulling a bait and switch on consumers (coming up with cool shiny products that are nothing more than tricks to get your data on their platform), but they're much more pervasive than Facebook. It's much harder, if not impossible, for a consumer to know what information Google has about you, what they're doing with it, and for how long they're using it.

Which is not to say that I don't have privacy issues with Facebook, because I do, but it's far easier to control and chose the information that I'm OK giving to Facebook. Google is a black box.

Facebook Privacy Issues Getting Worse | WebProNews

Facebook Grapples With Privacy Issues - WSJ.com

Analysis: Some Facebook Privacy Issues Are Real, Some Are Not

The privacy issues with facebook are as bad if not worse than with google. Like I said, I don't worry about it. I take the kinds of simple precautions that ensure my privacy be it google, facebook, yahoo or any other site out there.

Pardon the necro, but this is the thread that popped up when I searched for tablets.

Anybody know if any of the current tablet allow tethering of DSLRs?

Oh, and I love Google. Target me, my sweet master, then deliver unto me only the ads that interest me! Make thy money off the advertisers who will fill my inbox anyway, rather than the end users of your awesome products! :lol:

The last time I was looking at into this, the only option for iProducts to tether is via an app and WiFi. This requires you to have your laptop (and a network) with you, which to me is stupid. If you have your laptop, why not just tether to it?

Actually I watched a video the other day which showed an iPad being tethered directly to an eyefi, no AP involved. Very cool.

Now I too am in IT, and it is my job as well to advise clients on the best technology, just like Davor. One difference between us is I look at the best technology for that specific client, not what I think is the best out there because I said so. Following that logic, the iPad is clearly a winner in many areas, and the Androids are winners in others. As for the best for a photographer, that depends on what the photographer expects to get out of it.

One example, I bought my iPad about a month after it first came out. I paid $0 for it, a 16GB 3G, for free. Scratch that, I was actually paid to take it! How? The very first client I whipped it out in front of was one of those "on the fence" clients, fifty questions about price, why so much, why so few prints, I will have to talk it over with my parents because they are footing part of the bill, etc. Whipped out the iPad, showed a few weddings I had on it, left with a contract and a check. BAM! This is after they had already see some of the same exact images from the same exact weddings in prints.

Now you can call it a childish toy, a piece of over-hyped junk, whatever you want. As long as it keeps making me money, I will keep using it! Not to mention all the other cool things I do with it besides showing clients portfolios, taking credit cards, showing contracts, etc etc.

Allan

PS. Oh yeah, since it was a business expense not only did it pay for itself, it was deductable!

Ok, so I have been sitting back and like others waiting. During that time I have checked out several Android Tablets and the iPad. Love the iPad and love the Photographers Apps that are available for for the iPad. The Android Tables like the Asus Transformer rocks, its fast and there are also some great apps. Flash is almost a must for Photographers. Most photographers web sites use Flash, many apps for doing ROES (on-line ordering of Prints, Books and such use Flash (some are Java Based)). Want to check out Yosuf Karsh's website at www.karsh.org, sorry, you need Flash. The list goes on. Want to check out your own site? Most ready made photographers sites including and many plugin modules for doing your own site use Flash. Oh, check out a great Video on YouTube that a coleague did on their 5D MkII, oh wait, you need Flash.

The best way to go is a MacBook Pro. Oh, it has flash!!

So Jobs hates Flash yet he leaves it on his Macs??? He apparently hates Adobe and Microsoft yet without them the MAC and Apple would be dead! Yes, you heard me right. Years ago when the MAC was nothing and alsost dead the only people that bought them were Photo and Video people and even then only because of the great A D O B E products they needed to run!! Yes lots of schools had Macs but they were mostly given away for almost free. When things started getting very bad for Apple (before the iPod revolution) on August 6th, 1997, Microsoft bailled out Apple to the tune of $150 million dollars. This boost and with some other help from Microsoft and continued support from he Photo and Video community helped see them through to the iPod days when they finally flourished.

Jobs wants to kill Flash because he states there are other and better technologies out there? Several problems here: Where are they? Why is no-one using them? And Jobs doesn't tell you he has millions invested in the competing products and stands to benefit if Flash dies! Is he really looking after his customers? Think not.

Get a Mac, have your Flash and eat it to!

Ok, so I have been sitting back and like others waiting. During that time I have checked out several Android Tablets and the iPad. Love the iPad and love the Photographers Apps that are available for for the iPad. The Android Tables like the Asus Transformer rocks, its fast and there are also some great apps. Flash is almost a must for Photographers. Most photographers web sites use Flash, many apps for doing ROES (on-line ordering of Prints, Books and such use Flash (some are Java Based)). Want to check out Yosuf Karsh's website at www.karsh.org, sorry, you need Flash. The list goes on. Want to check out your own site? Most ready made photographers sites including and many plugin modules for doing your own site use Flash. Oh, check out a great Video on YouTube that a coleague did on their 5D MkII, oh wait, you need Flash.The best way to go is a MacBook Pro. Oh, it has flash!!So Jobs hates Flash yet he leaves it on his Macs??? He apparently hates Adobe and Microsoft yet without them the MAC and Apple would be dead! Yes, you heard me right. Years ago when the MAC was nothing and alsost dead the only people that bought them were Photo and Video people and even then only because of the great A D O B E products they needed to run!! Yes lots of schools had Macs but they were mostly given away for almost free. When things started getting very bad for Apple (before the iPod revolution) on August 6th, 1997, Microsoft bailled out Apple to the tune of $150 million dollars. This boost and with some other help from Microsoft and continued support from he Photo and Video community helped see them through to the iPod days when they finally flourished.Jobs wants to kill Flash because he states there are other and better technologies out there? Several problems here: Where are they? Why is no-one using them? And Jobs doesn't tell you he has millions invested in the competing products and stands to benefit if Flash dies! Is he really looking after his customers? Think not.Get a Mac, have your Flash and eat it to!
Fanboi.

Necro to update...

So, I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab 32GB 10.1", and I'm really loving this thing. It's great having a whole library with me, plus lots of cool apps/tools for DOF, GPS, etc.
Two days ago I decided to go after that tethered camera thing again. I shoot Canons (5DMKII and 7D, with a 40D backup), and a Google search led me to this:

https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

Even though it says it's a beta, I checked my tablet's Android OS version (turned out to be Honeycomb 3.2, which according to the site says it should work fine with), then bought it from the market on the tablet for $8.52. It downloaded fast, installed without a hitch, and when I tethered the Galaxy Tab to my 5DMKII with a USB cable, it fired right up without a problem.

I get a nice, clear, large live view on the tablet of whatever the camera's pointed at, and from the tablet I can adjust pretty much anything:
- Live View
- Auto Focus (tap Live View)
- Manual focus adjustments (in AF mode)
- Histogram
- Zoom control
- Grid and aspect ratio display
- Bulb capture
- Continuous capture
- Image review (+ follow shot)
- Image filters (peaking, contrast, channel mask, grayscale, 4 different modes per filter)
- Video recording (basic)
- HDR/Auto Exposure Bracketing
- Focus Bracketing
- Timelapse (incl. HDR)
- Extensive modification of settings
-- Shutter speed
-- Aperture
-- ExpComp and Bracket, FlashComp
-- ISO speed
-- Auto-Focus Mode
-- Focus and Zoom area (tap-and-hold Live View)
-- Picture Style
-- Drive Mode
-- White Balance
-- Color Temperature
-- Auto-Lighting Optimizer
-- Metering Mode

I'm actually blown away at the functionality of this app!

Anyway, just wanted to give an update on what I found on this topic.

I wish someone could tell me how to tether my D700 to an ipad WITHOUT a wireless solution. Thats the only thing stopping me from purchasing one.

I'm a reformed Mac hater, and use Lightroom to tether directly to Apple products thus far but can't figure out iPAD

Whilst not wishing to inflame the ongoing apple versus other war- I like to put my twopennethworth forward. Try the Acer ICONIA w500- runs full windows 7 with speed and stability, certainly comparable to iPad, performance wise. I had an iPad to start with and was truly impressed to start with, but as I went on I found my choices being limited by the fact it was a iPad. I know several people have championed it, and to be fair it is an excellent mobile device for business and leisure, unfair to call it a toy, certainly, but it does have its limitations. The ICONIA on the other hand, is a full windows 7 machine, which I'm currently running the pro version of, and I can photoshop on location, which has some advantages. It also has industry standard interfaces, such as USB, flash drive, HDMI, etc, which the iPad doesn't, frankly I object to paying inflated sums to connect my devices, just because the maker didn't want to conform (or maybe there is a more cynical reason, think iTunes) As an aside, my wife owns her own opticians, in which she recently installed a new (very-expensive) central management system. She wanted to use a tablet for a particular function which was no problem, except that we were not able to use an iPad, so we went for the ICONIA and have not looked back. Now the point of my aside. I was told by one of the system developers, at a forum recently, that they had approached Apple, in order to build in iPad capability, and were told that they could, and apple would help, but as a condition of that, the system would have to be an apple based system and they would be contractually obliged not to offer windows based versions. With 90% of systems in Europe being windows based, What company is going to accept that condition? Whasn't that the sort of thing apple used to complain about with Microsoft? Anyway, there are now viable alternatives to iPad, and I think it's a case of assess your needs carefully, and go look carefully. Incidentally we still use the iPad- but mainly as a entertainment device for our seven yr old in the car.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back