Best website to learn everything about lenses?

Juusuhako

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I need to learn from a to z about lenses, what they do differently, what their values mean (mm, f/ etc. etc.) and why they range from $100 to +$1000.

I know a Google search will help me with this, but I figured maybe there was a specific website that people here swear by that for whatever reason is the go-to place.

I have a Nikon D5300 and will only be using it for amateur filmmaking (and I assume some lenses are better than others for filming.)

dxomark?

The manufacturers website for specifics
and plenty other places for reviews.

The problem with reviews is that they are written by someone who may or may not have significant experience enough to know the caveats when dealing with the lens and/or body it is used with in all situations.

So make sure you research people who write reviews too to understand how their experience may reflect in their reviews.

There is no 1 'best' web site.
You have to gather information from a number or resources, many of them not available online.

I've heard of a website where people sign up so they can post on a forum.

It escapes me, the name does.

dxomark?

The manufacturers website for specifics
and plenty other places for reviews.

The problem with reviews is that they are written by someone who may or may not have significant experience enough to know the caveats when dealing with the lens and/or body it is used with in all situations.

So make sure you research people who write reviews too to understand how their experience may reflect in their reviews.

I'll make sure to check out dxomark, thanks.

I've definitely read up on things but it get's confusing very quickly for someone who is completely new to it. Right now I'm reading about variable and fixed aperture and what might work best for filming etc. I'll also make sure to read up on things from different sources.

There is no 1 'best' web site.
You have to gather information from a number or resources, many of them not available online.

I see. Guess I have to start online though, no way I won't learn at least a thing or two. :p

I've heard of a website where people sign up so they can post on a forum.

It escapes me, the name does.

Damn, let me know if you remember it sometime. ;)

No but, I know I could ask on forums but I'd end up flooding the whole thing about little (maybe even tiresome) things that I could most likely learn about on Google and YT. Obviously I'm gonna ask on forums if I can't seem to understand something, but to start with I feel like I should just use reviews, blogs etc. for my learning.

I know I could ask on forums but I'd end up flooding the whole thing about little (maybe even tiresome) things that I could most likely learn about on Google and YT. Obviously I'm gonna ask on forums if I can't seem to understand something, but to start with I feel like I should just use reviews, blogs etc. for my learning.
The way to ask questions here or on any internet forum, is to first learn as much as you can on your own.

This does two very important things; 1. Narrow your question down to the essence, and 2. use the correct terminology so people who might answer your question understand what it is you need to know.

Anyway, here is one that has lots of good information:

Digital Photography Tutorials

......... but to start with I feel like I should just use reviews, blogs etc. for my learning.

I think reviews and blogs are just going to confuse the bujeezuz out of you. Like when the reviewer refers to things like compound distortion and focus breathing, or a blog tosses up an MTF chart and discusses astigmatism.

Another problem with reviews is: What experience does the reviewer really have that 'qualifies' them to review a lens in the first place? Ken Rockwell has been known to review lenses he's never touched.

The main problem with reviews is actually that most arent impartial. If people receive preview copies they will know better than to give a bad review. Otherwise they wont get early review copies next time.

Same with affiliate links. Thom Hogan most recently let slip that if he doesnt get enough traffic on those, these shops will actually complain to him about it. Which happends every year since he's always a month away and wont be posting anything on the website during this time. So yeah, something has affiliate links - including Thom Hogan or Ken Rockwell - you're unlikely to find bad reviews on that website for bad products, ever. It would lower that persons revenue plus get them into trouble with the shop they link to.

And its extremely funny to see how Ken Rockwell gets dizzed, but then a much worse website gets recommented multiple times. Ken Rockwell at least has decades of experience as a commercial photographer (so does Thom Hogan), as well as example images (Thom Hogan doesnt have those, though). DxO on the other hand is just a bunch of technicians with a lot of lab equipment, which by the way they use poorly. Their only camera so far is extremely laughable, even according to their own measurements. There is no sign that any of them owns a camera, let alone does photography. What matters is only the final image, not the results of some lab equipment used with questionable methology.

Read Bjorn Rorslett's Lens Survey and Subjective Evaluations pages for a primer on how almost ANY lens can be used for good effect, as well as a lot of lens information.

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett

To learn about how they function, there are lots of places that can teach you well. That's pretty basic.

Quality is a different story. One of the best ways is to go to a local store and take some sample images. Or find somewhere online that has test images, download the RAW files, and look for yourself. User reviews can be HORRIDLY skewed, so take them with a grain of salt. Any reviews for a brand new product, also take with a grain of salt. For example, when the D500 was released, almost everyone was screaming "the same or better low light performance than FX cameras!", but we know that's not true now after people started using it and getting images out there.

Most online reviews by individuals are rife with confirmation bias. Which is why I take them with a very larger grain of salt, if I read them at all.

Quality, as far as lens rendering, is subjective.
Some people like the donut shaped bokeh a catadioptic lens produces, others think it's the ugliest type of bokeh there is.

Another point to independently researching a question is serendipity - stumbling across information you didn't know you wanted to know.

And as Derrel alludes to, a lot of the really good information isn't even online, but in good 'ol hard copy books.

Last edited:
I envy you
It has taken me over 50 years to gain a basic understanding of lenses
I hope you do find that one website

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ken Rockwell...
that dude is the Chuck Norris of Photography.
Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker. Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born.

On any lens or camera, you have to ask ur self what is it ur trying to accomplish? I don't think theres one lens for it all. Manufactures wouldn't make a profit that way. My experience was at first just trying to get a good lens to get started with. Now I have loads of these or lesser lens. If you stay in this business, you will find ur self over time to have collected an assortment of toys.
So my thought is this. Save ur money and get a decent lens with a F stop below 3 and go from there. If you have one good lens in your bag, you can at least expand as the $$$$ comes in.
Don't ride the wave of trying to keep up with new toys getting released all the time. You will nvr be satisfied.

Read Bjorn Rorslett's Lens Survey and Subjective Evaluations pages for a primer on how almost ANY lens can be used for good effect, as well as a lot of lens information.

NÆRFOTO Bjørn Rørslett
I second this. Excellent resource and he responds to his emails.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back