Black and White...what's the secret?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dubie, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I shot a roll of B&W last week and it just doesn't look right. The colors seem "off" either too dark and too grey and not enough white. But first I must tell you I used basic kodak film you buy at the drug store and used the automatic mode on my Nikon n60. Is this because once you get the picture you can work with it to get the look you want. They just don't have the same coloring as the pics you see in magazines.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It may be a little of both. Surly any photo in a magazine has been 'worked' in some way. Either digitally or in the darkroom. Also, it really helps to know what you are shooting, and what you are metering...and what you want the image to look like.

You were probably using C41 (color process) B&W film...which is fine. But true B&W film is much better for getting the stunning results that you might be thinking about.

3. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Mike. I'll get it eventually. They always look so beautiful in all the magazines.

4. LeftyRodriguez

LeftyRodriguez TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're serious about getting into B&W film photography, you might want to eventually learn to process it yourself. It's fairly cheap to get into and doesn't require a darkroom per se, unless you're going to start printing. Once you've processed it yourself, you can use a film scanner to scan the negs and do any fine corrections in PS or The Gimp or whatever your favourite photo software is.

5. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Lefty. I actually started a class this semester for camera and composition. Next semester I will take a B&W class. I really needed to learn how to use the camera first:D But B&W is my favorite way to go.