Blown out images in post

Being self taught you might want to keep working on learning how to meter scenes and getting proper exposures. I sometimes will aim the camera more downward and meter the scene, then reframe the shot - I want the meter to read the light on the subject, not the light coming in from the background (from behind the trees or from the windows). I often take more than one shot and vary the exposure a stop each time to get at least one with a proper exposure under these type lighting conditions.

With something like the car with a crappy hazy sky in the background, I'd frame tighter and lower and minimize the amount of sky in the frame - I'd think about cropping off maybe the top 1/4 or so of the picture (who needs lousy sky and treetops when you've got the car? lol). If it's a nice day with blue sky and white fluffy clouds, that's when I'd be more likely to get a nice scene with sky and trees, etc.
You're absolutely right. I have no clue what to do when it comes to metering! I used to shoot with brackets all the time. Then i got lazy i guess. my idea for the mustang picture was to shoot wide and crop down in post, but now i know that was the wrong idea. Live and learn :)

Dang, Thanks Joe. I do wish to get better at processing. It's fun to me, i just am not sure exactly how some things work. For instance, the Mustang shot I came up with a similar edit to yours. I wasn't as saturated, but close. The building however, i could not figure out the blown out cloud. It just annoyed me so i decided to scrap the edit. The inside shot puzzled me, and i attribute it to my lack of knowledge. Is there something i can read to explain what you mean exactly by the camera meter? I'm completely self taught so there are certain things that i have not figured out. That being one of them. Thanks a ton for your help by the way. You're way more knowledgeable than i am. I appreciate it.

You're welcome.

Here's a link to an XMP file for the bldg photo: IMG_2344.XMP Copy the XMP file to your directory where the original CR2 file is located and LR should read it and show you everything that I did. Note to check that I used the adjustment brush, linear gradient, and an HSL adjustment.

I placed a link to class notes in an above post that does mention metering. You can check this tutorial out: Understanding Camera Metering and Exposure

You had your camera set to Canon's default "evaluative" metering when you took these photos. You want to pay attention to two other options: 1. weighted average and 2. spot and start to consider using them. "Evaluative" metering (Nikon "matrix" or X camera "pattern") all employ software algorithms that try and make decisions about the lighting condition. That puts you into the condition of trying to second guess your meter trying to second guess the lighting -- yikes. You can learn to make the call without any guessing at all.

Joe

Alright, thanks Joe. I'll check it out.
Do you recommend shooting the default metering mode and learning to meter properly? Or is there a different way i should be shooting? I've never really thought about metering until you all have brought it up to me, and i've been shooting for almost 10 years! Looks like i have a lot to learn :) Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back