Bought a Canon Digital Rebel

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by whatsafrog2do, Sep 17, 2003.

1. whatsafrog2do

whatsafrog2do TPF Noob!

Am I insane or what? My Olympus is not even 5 weeks old and now this?
    This camera is flying off the shelves. When I was in the store today, at least 5 people were asking about it. And to double my insanity I also bought a Sigma 70-300mm lens. What am I thinking?

First impression? It's a bit heavy but looks like it's easy to use. I had to install the software before I could download the pictures, unlike in my Olympus

I couldn't take outside photos because it was dark when I got home. Here's a sample taken of my living room. I have to read some work materials for a breakfast meeting but I think I'll read the camera manual instead.

[​IMG]

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good choice. It's almost the 10D at a fraction of the cost.

3. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't let the night time keep you from going outside. It does do up to 30 second exposures!

4. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The URL works so why the Red X
    Is it a setting on my machine or the host site?

5. urameatball

urameatball TPF Noob!

I like the red x :p

how much did you buy the 300D for and where did you buy it from?

6. doxx

doxx TPF Noob!

congrats & welcome to the club, it's a great camera. Can't see ur pic though :scratch:

7. whatsafrog2do

whatsafrog2do TPF Noob!

Sorry about the no-show jpg. I moved it to another server so it should show up now.

I got the cam from Henry's for $1599 Cdn. They have a promo on a package worth $149 Cdn for a Canon carrying case, 256MB CF card, a Velbon tripod and a cleaning kit. I already have a tripod so I paid $100 for the kit plus the sales guy threw in an adapter ring and upgraded the card to the Ultra version of SanDisk and 2 tickets to the Photographic and Digital Imaging Show for Oct 3-5.

This camera comes with a battery pack BP-511 (lithium ion). I need to buy another one but it costs around $120 Cdn.

I forgot to ask in my original post my question about the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 II Macro Super. Is this a good quality lens? Should I keep it or exchange it for something else? I haven't tried it yet, in fact I haven't even got a chance to check the camera out. Will do tomorrow but it's supposed to rain a lot. Thanks to Isabel.

Edit: I found a similar question in the forum and I followed the link provided. Still let me know what you think. Thanks!

8. doxx

doxx TPF Noob!

if you want to save some ca$h on the battery, do a search on ebay and get one from a 3rd party manufacturer (I paid like $15) and it works as good as the original Canon battery...

9. whatsafrog2do

whatsafrog2do TPF Noob!

That's what I'll do I'll buy a cheaper kind that I will use when runing the date/time and use the origial battery for taking photos. According to the manual, i should be able to take 350 pictures before recharging is necessary.