Bought new camera and need advice!

Dubie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I decided to go with the Canon Rebel as my first DSLR. I really liked it. BUT....I made the mistake of buying an additional lense. A EF 75-300 lens. I did some research on here just now and I also went on Ebay. I payed full price for the lens (ouch) and found the same lens on ebay for as cheap as $5.50...to $41.00 :lol: So I am wrapping it back up to take back to the store and get a refund. One of the great things about superstores is the 12 months same as cash! I want to shoot outside with it and for now as far as what I can afford will do but not at THAT price.

So now that I have a canon, what lenses would you recommend for street photography. I still am going to buy the 75-300 anyway but for a lot less.

Well, there are a few reasons to buy lenses new. First, you know they are going to be mint condition. A lot of those super bargains you see on eBay are heavily used, and could have dents, scratches or fogging on the lens, or other problems you might not want to deal with. Lenses are known for holding their value very well; if you're seeing a lens selling for 10% of the street price, there's probably a reason.
Second is the warranty. If you buy used from eBay, there's a chance you won't have it. Lens manufacturers tend to be pretty darn generous as well; off the top of my head, most Tamron lenses come with a six year warranty.

Just something to think about. Used lenses can be great deals, but when you're buying new you know what you're going to get.

Yeah, you got a good point there huh? I can always add to my collection.

I on the other hand have no problems buying used lenses from ebay or pawn shops or goodwill stores or garage sales or I could go on and on.
If you buy from ebay just make sure you are buying from a reputable seller with good feedback and you should be fine.I have bought some dud lenses off ebay but the sellers refunded and fixed the problem right away.
Now onto the question at hand that is what lens to buy next.
You need to figure out what focal length you are wanting to shoot that you are missing right now.
Need a wider lens? .. Mabye look at the 10-22mm (pricey) or equivilant in sigma,tamron,tokina.
Need a tele?... Look into the 75-300mm lens offered by canon or the others.
Mabye you like the focal lengths of 28-135mm the best and you can pick up one of those lenses.
Or you can try one of those" one size fits all lenses" that are 18-200mm.
They are becoming quite popular and dont have terribly bad reviews.I assume that the quality for a novice photog would be quite acceptable.
I would just go shoot and try to figure out what focal length I am missing th most and then shop for a good quality lens that fits my needs.
Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Hobby--Used
Semi serious or Very serious--New.

hey Dubie....You want the newer 70-300 Canon. I bought one for my wife and she won't take it off her camera !

It has more than paid for itself in 3 shoots.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the links for B&H...I think I am going to keep what I bought and just use it. I will shoot lots outdoors but my goal is the 70-300. I hear so much about it. I love street photography and from what I hear that's a great lens. I guess I can save and just learn my camera. I start a class tomorrow so I think I will concentrate on that while just getting out there and doing as much as I can with what I got. But yeah, I really want that lens.

I don't have any personal experience with this lens, but i've read good things about it. It seems like a good walk-around lens.

Tamron 18-250mm
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-250mm-3-5-6-3-Aspherical-Digital/dp/B000IBLMHQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6773068-4159321?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188350363&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-250mm-3-5-6-3-Aspherical-Digital/dp/B000IBLMHQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-6773068-4159321?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188350363&sr=8-1[/ame]

Perhaps someone with experience with this lens can chime in.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back