Brand of Full-Frame camera

36MP fimages are card hogs, processor hogs. Awesome camera for studio, landscape work. Great for detail shots. Not to catch action, in my opinion.

Even with fast write cards?

The reason I ask is that I am interested to the 800. I shoot lots of "events".

I'm using Single-servo AF (S) and Continuous-servo AF (C).

Runnah: I appreciate your input very much. However, other than being a big tech-geek I’m also a professional photographer, having been so for many year. I do not think, “Not being familiar with my gear” is the issue. The camera is awesome; however, for my type of photography I just have a few wishes.

I have no problem seeking advice from fellow photographers

No offense, you wouldn't believe how many people don't know the basic functions and think they need to upgrade.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want a D800 for event photography either. From everything I've heard the file sizes are ludicrous (single raw files can reach just shy of 45 megabytes), it writes a tic slower (even with faster cards; but how noticeable that is, I don't know), and its fps is slower than the competing Canon and Sony models. The Sony also has some awesome new AF tech if that's what the OP cares about.

I would scrap all of that big,heavy,slow top-end Nikon gear and sell it, and then buy a nice Rebel T4i and EF 10-22, EF 50/1.8, and EF-50-200mm setup. It'd be super-fast to set up, and the on-the-top-deck button with the various exposure mode symbols would be awesome to get the camera into the various pre-programmed auto-exposure modes. No need to go with a full-frame camera if the one you have is too much of a hassle. The new Canon and Sony APS-C sensors are pretty awesome.

ZURTOP-2-S.JPG

Yeah, I would sell all that Nikon gear to me very cheap if I was you. I'm not a professional photog so all those things that are wrong with the D800 I will most likely never even notice and it would be an quick easy way for you to ditch the $9,000+ worth of "wrong" gear and get a fresh start. Than you can build a pro setup this time. I'm thinking the Sony is the way to go for you. All the pros are ditching their Nikon gear for Sony now.

I really can't speak to your auto focus issues, it isn't a problem for me. But, if file sizes are an issue I'd suggest that you look into just how good the jpeg iterations are. Especially for something like events (if you have another body then sure, use it).

As to the LCD, I must be old; the only thing I care about is focus and histogram. Wb is done on site. I also shoot tethered when I need that extra bit of care in framing or focus and my back is just fine aside from the pack in/out but I knew going in that the D800 was going to be more like MF than a sureshot.

Do what you like of course but you might try a tripod with more flexibility and tethering (there are even mounts for putting the laptop on the tripod and Wheels for the whole thing). Plus if you've calibrated the monitor on your laptop then you can see what you've gotten and do initial post processing on the spot.

...I'm having issues when doing real estate photography (being in aquarte positions hurts my back)...

Hi jkirkegaard - assuming that "aquarte" means "awkward", the 5D Mark III won't fix this. It has an old-fashioned fixed LCD too.

The A99 ($2540 from BigValue via eBay), with its articulated LCD, would seem to be your only full frame option for fixing this problem (unless you want to start carrying an external monitor around).

I was a Nikon guy too, then Canon, but left without hesitation when Nikon/Canon did not keep up with the pace of technological change.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

A camera system is a tool. Maybe you need more tools. Trying to force a camera system to be a "Jack of all trades" tool isn't the answer.

Maybe you need a dedicated wedding system(D800) and a dedicated architect system.

Sinar Photography » arTec

36MP fimages are card hogs, processor hogs. Awesome camera for studio, landscape work. Great for detail shots. Not to catch action, in my opinion.

Even with fast write cards?

The reason I ask is that I am interested to the 800. I shoot lots of "events".

I think this highly depends on your post production workflow and hardware. If your CPU can handle it then you would not notice the difference in file size.

Maybe you need more tools.

More gear does not equal better images.

Obviously.

The OP stated the tools he had weren't working out the best for them. I merely suggested he find a tool better suited for the job at hand.

If the OP is serious about architectural work then maybe they need a serious architect system. If they want a system that does it all that is fine and dandy. A system that is a "jack of all trades" system may not have certain benefits for particular field.

You can use just about any camera system for any line of photography. How well each system is suited, or engineered, for that particular area of interest is subject to debate.

Now are the tools the OP has listed not working for them or is the OP not fully extracting the full potential of their tools is also up for debate.

Hi everybody,

I`ve finally taken the plunge. I`ve bought a Sony A99 and a Tamron 24-70 2.8.

I`m happy, very happy. Having the three big brands available, Nikon, canon and now Sony really helps to see the big differences. Canon and Nikon are awesome systems, well worthy of a place in the professional branch. However, Sony is really "kicking Ass" with the A99. The A99 resolves so many issues I have put up with for so many years with Nikon and canon.

The Sony A99 is not a perfect camera, but is an innovative push in the semi/pro market of cameras; this camera is terrific tool in photography – a camera of the future! Electronic viewfinder, Focus peaking and much more.

The one major drawback of the A99 is the available selection of lenses. This limits your ability to simplify your camera-back to get to best thing for the job vs the price of purchase of gear.

That being said, I am not going back to Nikon or canon (selling it – except my canon gear, does not really belong to me, it is my provided work-gear).
I did not chose the Nikon FM2 because it was a Nikon. I chose that camera because it seemed to be the best in the market (still have it and it still works like a dream) And the same can I say about Hasselblad cameras. I’ve had Hasselblad with me across the world and it has never fail me (501cm & 903swc).
Nikon & canon seems to be putting out the same camera every 6 month with little improvement or innovative design – the same concept with a bigger pricetag.
The most important thing in photography is not the gear but the final result – the image! However, having the right tools for the job really helps:)

I shoot the D800... and see none of the issues the OP complains about. I don't shoot Pray and Spray.. so the file size is not an issue for me. (and no.. I am not implying the OP does either!)

Have fun with that Sony... Not much Professional support for it... I find it really odd that you would make that decision, but good luck with it!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back