bulb setting~ how do you know?

SimplyMo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
when using the Bulb setting for shutter speed, how do you what length of time to use? :scratch:.......
by using a hand held meter? or just guess? do a couple test exposures?

You could meter to get the right exposure with a non-BULB shutter speed, then step down the aperture and/or ISO to get the right settings for your exposure.

Stops are a doubling/halving of light, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

edit: use a stopwatch or something to actually measure the time. I should learn to read.

I have used bulb for waterfalls for that blurred water effect at rather a late hour and for that I was very much just using it at random and seeing what effect different speeds would yeald and then reshooting after.
The other use of bulb I have seen is where you use it to shoot lightning or fireworks where you leave the shutter open (pointing at a very dark sky, not something for town work) and then wait for the flash of light - then quickly close the shutter. A cover is also handy to hold infront of the lens during gaps (mostly for firework shots as then you can decide to have the rocket in the shot or not-

You may be able to extrapolate from a wide aperture reading, if the light level is within your camera meter's sensitivity range. For example, if 2 s is the longest shutter speed the camera will do, and you get a reading of 2 s at f/1.4, you could calculate 32 s at f/5.6 in your head. If using film, you may then have to account for reciprocity departure (aka reciprocity failure).

Edit: I see that nynfortoo wrote the same thing as I was typing this.

If your camera meter is struggling to read because of low light leves, try taking a reading from a white card or other white object and open up two stops. This gives an effective two-stop increase in the sensitivity of your meter.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back