How do I know the focal length of a zoom lens?

Vicky12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Say I shoot with a soom lens and set the zoom lens between 50 and 85. How do I know the focal length? Anywhere in the camera shows the focal length?

Thanks for help.

Say I shoot with a soom lens and set the zoom lens between 50 and 85. How do I know the focal length? Anywhere in the camera shows the focal length?

Thanks for help.
If your camera records that info it's in the EXIF data stored in the image. Below is EXIF data from a photo I took using a 16-55mm zoom lens. The lens was set to a focal length of 38.8mm.

exif-lens.jpg

If your camera records that info it's in the EXIF data stored in the image. Below is EXIF data from a photo I took using a 16-55mm zoom lens. The lens was set to a focal length of 38.8mm.

View attachment 269481
Thank you.
Yes, I know the EXIF shows the focal length used. What I am concerned is knowing the focal length before shooting.

Normally this would be indicated as you look through the viewfinder.

Nothing that I know of in the viewfinder is going to tell you the currently set focal length. Looking on the lens barrel's scale is the only indication.

My question is: What does it matter? In 45 years of shooting, I have never asked myself, "What focal length is my zoom set to?" I frame the image I want through the viewfinder and I'm done caring.

If you're needing an exact focal length because you're calculating something, maybe trip the shutter and review the image in the viewfinder. I'm not sure focal length is in the information available on the several review screens, but it might be.

Normally this would be indicated as you look through the viewfinder.
Thank you.
Maybe some high end cameras do, but have checked 2 DSLRs and found no such info.

Nothing that I know of in the viewfinder is going to tell you the currently set focal length. Looking on the lens barrel's scale is the only indication.

My question is: What does it matter? In 45 years of shooting, I have never asked myself, "What focal length is my zoom set to?" I frame the image I want through the viewfinder and I'm done caring.

If you're needing an exact focal length because you're calculating something, maybe trip the shutter and review the image in the viewfinder. I'm not sure focal length is in the information available on the several review screens, but it might be.
Thank you.
Normally, people do not care about the exact focal length if whey use zoom lenses. I have a specific shooting task and need a 65~70mm lens and I do not the money buy any lens and try use my Rebel T6 which has an 18~135 zoom lens. Therefore have this question.

Thank you.
Normally, people do not care about the exact focal length if whey use zoom lenses. I have a specific shooting task and need a 65~70mm lens and I do not the money buy any lens and try use my Rebel T6 which has an 18~135 zoom lens. Therefore have this question.
Using the focal length scale on the lens is accurate enough. One one of my lenses between 35 and 50 is 15 increments, and eyeballing into 3rds gives you 40 & 45, really easy enough. Between any number on your scale take the difference and divide it and you'll get VERY close. And then there's another suggestion I saw: Get in the general area as I suggest and take a shot. If you can't pull up the data on your camera, slip the card into your laptop and click on file and then file info or properties and your "Camera Data" should come up. Find the focal length for that exposure and dial in your "Guestimate" to your desired focal length. Seems a little nit-picky but there you are.

Although my lenses have the scale on them I work by feel. 100..200
full out 200 full in 100 mid way well you can work it out.. I am more interested on what I can see and the focal length is adjusted to suit what I want from the image. As other said the exit data should give requied Info

Although my lenses have the scale on them I work by feel. 100..200
full out 200 full in 100 mid way well you can work it out.. I am more interested on what I can see and the focal length is adjusted to suit what I want from the image. As other said the exit data should give requied Info
I'd go with this. What you see is what you get.

Idea just occured to me. What if you got a 35-135mm zoom lens but it didn't tell you that anywhere on the lense? Imagine an 18-200mm zoom with each mm of length on the lense! Probably need a magnifying glass to read it.. maybe the camera companys could come out with some new gizmo in the camera to tell you what mm you were at, I doubt it would make a difference. I found that deal to tell me what mm I shot with my lense in that data in the computer. I think as long as I like the picture I got it doesn't make any difference at all what mm it was. Next time it might change. take a photo of a basket ball with some fixed length lense. Then try to get the same shot again the next day in the same spot so the ball is in exactly the same spot in the photo. Bet ya can't do it!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back