Business Card Portrait for critique

PropilotBW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for critiques for this portrait.
Thanks!

P9230448-2.jpg

TBH, I would start from scratch with this one.
Your viewpoint is a bit low and her hands look big and white.
Her face is reddish and her neck is pale and all the texture seems to be blown out.
Her face is close to the top edhe and her bright hand is close to the bottom edge.
Her suit looks tight on her arms - and wrinked and the color doesn't go with her skin color or the background.

upload_2016-9-28_22-21-19.png

I would with deeper DOF. You shot this at f3.5, and it would be better at around f8, f5 minimum.
This also looks a little soft on her eyes, you may want to manual focus, or makes sure the auto focus point is on her eye.
:)

TBH, I would start from scratch with this one.
Your viewpoint is a bit low and her hands look big and white.
Her face is reddish and her neck is pale and all the texture seems to be blown out.
Her face is close to the top edhe and her bright hand is close to the bottom edge.
Her suit looks tight on her arms - and wrinked and the color doesn't go with her skin color or the background.

View attachment 128146

Thank you for your honesty.
Lots to think about for next time.
Not sure I can choose what a person wears, but I can pick a different background.

The background is still distracting, even though you blurred it quite nicely.

I agree with The_Traveler's critique as well.

I'm guessing Real Estate? Due to the low camera position.

...I'm guessing Real Estate? Due to the low camera position.
I hope not, this is COMPLETELY the wrong look for an estate agent! With respect to the clothing, no, you can't control, but you need to discuss it before hand with the client. It also doesn't look like any work was done on the skin... definitely a do-over.

Using flash, high speed sync and a subject/background lighting ratio (aids subject separation by having a darker background) would solve most of the lighting problems the photo has.

Her face has a distinct magenta color cast.
Here sclera are gray rather than white, indicating under exposure.
I think the camera perspective is OK, and I have no issue with her clothes.
What isn't OK is the pose.
She should have one foot back a bit, most of her weight should be on the forward foot, she should lean forward slightly at the waist, and she should lower her chin and move it camera left some so she he head is turned more towards the camera.

Here are lots of head shots with the subject leaning forward from the waist and the chin lowered. You don't need to use the horizontal/cinematic framing. I also think most of the subjects are sitting and you can see his pretty simple lighting set up at one point in the video:

Last edited:
Yikes...
I appreciate the comments, just a little humbling.
So...how do you go back to a client and tell them the picture that they picked actually sucks and they'll have to take time out of their schedule for a "re-do"?

I did take a couple more shots, maybe I did a little better??

P9230458-2.jpg

This is a much better image in terms of colour and quality of light. It's also far more suitable for the intended purpose given the higher viewing point. When shooting head shots, remember: Camera low = viewer in inferior position, power portrait (CEOs, officials, etc); camera high = viewer in superior position, staff, students, etc. With any sort of sales person, you want to establish a trust, so what you want is an eye-to-eye view (or maybe just a very slightly above). This promotes the impression of honestly, reliability and "I'm your friend" - all critical elements in an image being used by someone in this sort of business. The only thing I really am not fond of in this image is the brick wall - just a tad cliché!

As for the reshoot, simply say to the client, "I'd like to reshoot your session. I'm just not 100% happy with the lighting (always try and make the reason something that has nothing to do with the client personally) or <reason>, and I believe that we can create a much stronger image by changing the way I..... As well, can I suggest bringing a second outfit of darker/lighter/whatever in case you want to use the image with a different, contrasting background? Of course there will be no charge for this."

Her forehead, top of cheeks, bridge of nose, and chin are hot.
So I did an edit, but keep in mind it would look even better if the Raw file, in the ProPhoto RGB color space, and a 16-bit ProPhoto RGB .PSD was edited rather than the JPEG copy I had to use. Once done editing a 8-bit JPEG is used for the business card.
And here is what I did:
In ACR (Camera Raw/LR Develop module)
Global - Increased Clarity +30, Vibrance +20, Temperature +8, Sharpened - Amount 25, Radius 1.5, Detail 25, Threshold 0.
In Photoshop
Patch tool, under her eyes to eliminate the dark lines. I outlined the dark areas and pulled the patch down to just under the dark areas.
Polygonal Lasso tool - I outlined her scelera and with the selection active I opened a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer - Saturation -100, Lightness +15.
Polygonal Lasso tool - I outlined her lips and with the selection active I opened a Vibrance Adjustment layer - +90.
I used the Burn (midtones, exposure 50%, protect tones) tool on her forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin to diminish the hot spots.
I used the Dodge tool (midtones, exposure 50%, protect tones) on her forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin to even out the burning.
I used the Spot Healing Brush (Normal, Content Aware) to eliminate a variety of spots on her neck and face.

P9230458-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and critiques. It's still very much a learning process for me.

Next time Perhaps I should seek advice BEFORE I give the results to the client. The business cards are already in print. :boggled:

Maybe in a year or so she will want a refresh.

I do have another shoot coming up next week, so I will use the comments on here to my benefit.

Thanks again for the help!

Yikes...
So...how do you go back to a client and tell them the picture that they picked actually sucks and they'll have to take time out of their schedule for a "re-do"?

View attachment 128184

No need to reshoot. I'm sure she was thrilled with these photos. The bottom line is to make client happy. The average person myself included would not notice any of the points brought up until a trained photographer points them out. Take the advice that you've been given on this thread and apply it to your next shoot. Remember if it was easy anyone could do it.

Lots of excellent advice and insight into how to improve photos, but your original images easily passed the 80% test.

Yikes...

View attachment 128184

No need to reshoot. I'm sure she was thrilled with these photos. The bottom line is to make client happy. The average person myself included would not notice any of the points brought up until a trained photographer points them out. Take the advice that you've been given on this thread and apply it to your next shoot. Remember if it was easy anyone could do it.

Thanks for your comment.
I won't be re-shooting. I'll just see if she wants an update next year.

Most reactions

Back