Buyers Remorse D5100

They can't release the D7100 fast enough for me. ;) - I want a D7000 with HDR and flip out lcd.

My instructor said the software for HDR software that comes in cams is next to worthless compared to PP HDR software It has no flexibility for controls and its a gimmicky seller to the point and shoot crowd. Perhaps she's mistaken though, maybe someone can chime in.

I go by the old Engineering logic...any part that moves is a part that can break.

My grandfather used to say the same thing. "The more moving parts, the more risk of failure", but if I used that logic I wouldn't use a camera at all.. or my laptop.. and I wouldn't dare get near an automobile. You already stated it was an unlogical fear, and that it was just your preference, so I do respect your opinion.

For me, I don't use the flip out screen much. I do love that I can flip my screen around and leave it protected. This is how my camera is stored and carried. There are times, like two days ago, when I wanted to get a photograph, but I needed to lay on the ground and reach out around a small tree to get the shot. The tree was on the very edge of a ledge with a 100ft drop, so I could not just walk around it. There are also times when I wanted to take a scenic shot or an animal in the wild, but I have had to shoot over some brush or shrubs. It is indeed a handy feature. When you are not using it, you close it. Even if you close it so the screen is facing you. It is nestled into a framed ridge. It's not going to move or break unless you are running through the woods or drop it on the ground with the screen open. It's a lot more solid than you would expect.

My instructor said the software for HDR software that comes in cams is next to worthless compared to PP HDR software It has no flexibility for controls and its a gimmicky seller to the point and shoot crowd. Perhaps she's mistaken though, maybe someone can chime in.

With all due respect, I think your instructor is mistaken.

HDR mode automatically captures two shots, with the first intentionally underexposed by anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 stops, and the second overexposed by the same amount, for a total difference between shots of 1 to 3 EV. Mid-tone information is used from both images, while highlight information is taken from the underexposed shot, and shadow information from the overexposed shot. The result is saved as a single image with increased dynamic range.

With all due respect, I think your instructor is mistaken.

HDR mode automatically captures two shots, with the first intentionally underexposed by anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 stops, and the second overexposed by the same amount, for a total difference between shots of 1 to 3 EV. Mid-tone information is used from both images, while highlight information is taken from the underexposed shot, and shadow information from the overexposed shot. The result is saved as a single image with increased dynamic range.

Yea, thats as far as software in the cams go that have the built in is the point. Not much control over how much and tone mapping, exposure, mid point, etc etc from the cam itself. I set the D7000 up to shoot my 3 bracketed (for HDR shots) then post process them into HDR on a computer. The D7000 can be set up to shoot 9 total with the options buttons.

The point of the onboard HDR is that every photograph I take has more dynamic range, which means I have more option/control in PP, for each and every photo I take. How is that a gimmick?

One source tells me it uses only two total pics, another tells me its frenching with the ISO values too, etc. If you shoot 9 bracketed shots out of that same cam and deliver them to Photomatix you'll have over 100 times the flexibility as the menus on that cam can deliver for higher dynamic range. Isn't that obvious?

I just ordered my D7000 body yesterday from BB. I got it for $1055 before tax. Its on back order so I have to wait a couple weeks, but that's ok because I wont be picking up lenses until then. A portion of my book stipend came and after I bought my books I had left over exactly what I needed to upgrade to the D7000.

I'm going to start off with the 18-55mm VR, the 55-200mm VR, and a 50mm 1.8D. As for flashes, I am clueless... so I need to do a ton of research on that. Is there any other accessory that is necessary that I should know about?

I just ordered my D7000 body yesterday from BB. I got it for $1055 before tax. Its on back order so I have to wait a couple weeks, but that's ok because I wont be picking up lenses until then. A portion of my book stipend came and after I bought my books I had left over exactly what I needed to upgrade to the D7000.

I'm going to start off with the 18-55mm VR, the 55-200mm VR, and a 50mm 1.8D. As for flashes, I am clueless... so I need to do a ton of research on that. Is there any other accessory that is necessary that I should know about?

Congrats! I use a SB-600 flash, the new version is SB-700. The D7000 will fire flashes remotely (OCF) from its pop up flash. But I found thats not a good solution in sun for fill flash and stuff. After some advice from others on the forum I ended up buying some pocket wizards a guy was selling on the cheap on craigslist, that checkmated the issue.

One source tells me it uses only two total pics, another tells me its frenching with the ISO values too, etc. If you shoot 9 bracketed shots out of that same cam and deliver them to Photomatix you'll have over 100 times the flexibility as the menus on that cam can deliver for higher dynamic range. Isn't that obvious?

The point I am making is that the onboard HDR works fine for what anyone who is buying a beginner level Nikon will need. It's automatic and doesn't require any extra effort. You just take a picture and you automagically have more dynamic range. To call that a gimmick because there are other, possibly better ways of doing it, is like saying a chevy car is a gimmick because it's not a BMW.

With that said, the onboard HDR is not the selling factor that makes me want to wait for the D7100, it's the flip lcd. The HDR is just another feature I will use if it has it, which is very likely that it will.

Awesome man. I'd check on the 55-200mm VR. I read that it was a better choice to get the 55-300mm VR. I know I like mine.

Awesome man. I'd check on the 55-200mm VR. I read that it was a better choice to get the 55-300mm VR. I know I like mine.

Well the 55-300vr may be the better choice for needing 300mm and paying another $115 more for it. But at under $200 and being a lot smaller,lighter and compact the 55-200vr is my great walk around lens and covers 90% of my walkabout general shooting needs.

But if wanting the 300mm for wildlife and sports,etc.. I would opt for the 70-300vr as has faster AF and more consistent lock than the 55-300vr tho optically it's a great zoom but has a tendency to AF slower and more hunting focus.

Well the 55-300vr may be the better choice for needing 300mm and paying another $115 more for it. But at under $200 and being a lot smaller,lighter and compact the 55-200vr is my great walk around lens and covers 90% of my walkabout general shooting needs.

But if wanting the 300mm for wildlife and sports,etc.. I would opt for the 70-300vr as has faster AF and more consistent lock than the 55-300vr tho optically it's a great zoom but has a tendency to AF slower and more hunting focus.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying anything bad about the 55-200mm. I never tried it. I was just stating I saw a lot of bad reviews when I was looking, so I purchased the 55-300mm and it works great for me.

Im buying all refurbished lenses... The 55-200mm VR is only 150. But I will look into the 55-300mm VR...

Im buying all refurbished lenses... The 55-200mm VR is only 150. But I will look into the 55-300mm VR...

I bought this 55-200 used. Not that these are great pics or anything close to great but you can see the clarity. I took them recently with a kenko extension tube and the lens:

253589_1894116667253_1071635590_2091163_6533478_n.jpg

263715_1913370508587_1071635590_2116743_5813120_n.jpg

I'd return it and buy the d7000.The lens options on the d7000 will open up a world of possibilities, it's not just the af motor, you can also use nikons older, and amazing, manual focus glass on the d7000 with full metering.

Most reactions

Back