Buying first mirrorless camera ... suggestions?

jkn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Budget: 1000-2000 USD

What i've looked at so far: sony a600, a6300 and a7r2

Looking for alternatives to the sonys, I've owned two canon DSLR's in the past. Will mainly be taking pictures of landscape and humans.

Must Have:
Good landscape capabilities
ISO and exposure settings for star/space photography

Wants/Bonus:
4k video
fast capture/sports capture settings

If fast moving stuff isn't on your list then a mirrorless, preferably with a big sensor is likely your best option.

The Sony full frame is probably the best, everything else seems to be inferior in some way

Looking for alternatives to the sonys, I've owned two canon DSLR's in the past. Will mainly be taking pictures of landscape and humans.

Must Have:

Wants/Bonus:
4k video
Good landscape capabilities are not the camera but the photographer. Same with star/space settings.
Mirrorless and fast capture for sports is an oxymoron. Maybe someday, but not now.

Must Have:
Wants/Bonus:
4k video

for a $2,000 budget I'd pick one of the Sony models
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

DPReview has useful buying guides. Mirrorless and DSLRs are grouped together as ILCs; just ignore the DSLRs there.

I have the Olympus EM5ii. It's not the best for action sports or focus tracking, but it takes some really nice photos! There is supposed to be a new model coming out with improved autofocus tracking, but only time will tell.

I've read the Sony a6300 has a really good auto focus. Maybe try that, as it's not as expensive as the a7r2.

with upwards of a $2k budget it would be hard for me to NOT go full frame...
but, thats just me.
so....get the sony!

I have FF dSLR's (1Ds) ... MFT mirrorless (EM1), but my camera of choice is Fuji, APS-C (XP2/XT1), a very nice compromise between the small footprint of MFT and the IQ of FF. For what I shoot and how I shoot, the difference between FF and APS-C is insignificant. The Fujinon lenses are equal to my 'L' lenses. I routinely shoot sports every week with good results. Granted, mirrorless does not track, making a dSLR action autofocus superior to mirrorless ... But (the big but) ... You can shoot action with mirrorless, it is harder and you get less keepers, but for most hobbyists, the results are quite satisfactory.

Take a good look at the X-Pro2.

Last edited:
Suit yourself. I'm not holding my breath for that one. Megapixels alone are not image quality.

will the megapixels war ever end?
probably not
Of all the parameters ruling image quality, Megapixels are the least interesting. Have 12 Megapixels and you're all set for 98% of applications.

By the way, we had 40 Megapixel smartphones a couple years ago already.

Last edited:
Sony A7II and start saving for their fast lenses 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8
Together new these would go around 6K$

Or I would consider Nikon D610 with used Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 and Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC which would cost about 3.5K$
If you really need mirrirless then the Sony, I personally would go the Nikon route, its got same sensor the Sony A7II has.

I've been looking at mirrorless cameras. If I were going to buy one today it would be a Fuji X-A2. It has an APS-c sensor and the Fuji lenses are legendary for their quality and performance. You can buy one brand new with a 16-50 zoom lens for $549. I can't think of a better value in all of mirrorless-land.

Most reactions

Back