Buying New Computer - Need Advice

CarolynKamuda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I'm a fine art photographer upgrading my computer and am looking for advice on my next computer purchase. I would like suggestions on the best computer for under $2,000 which would be fast and allow me to edit with ease (I use Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom).

I'm looking at the HP Elite series but am open to other ideas. Also a new printer that will allow me to make 16 x 20 prints.

For hotoshop and lightroom, My Acer Aspire 5735 does a great job!

4gb RAM and 2.4Ghz Dual core Processor (4.8Ghz)
Mobile intel Gfx card (can change it but works good)

cost me £530 on hire purchase... aka £300 on the spot or there about.
Or you could buy an Alienwarez which will do more than you need. (over priced but only cause the name...)

Spend your money on something with a good processor and as much RAM as you can.
You might also want a couple internal hard drives so that you can have your Photoshop scratch-disk is a separate drive (and lots of storage).

You might also want to put some money toward a good quality monitor (one that is good for image editing, not necessarily gaming & movies)...and a calibration device.

The last computer I bought was a Gateway media computer with the media version of Windows installed. Big advantages were being able to insert camera cards directly into the computer and extreme quiet when it was running. It also had a built in television tuner, DVD record and play units, a 500 gig hard drive with Windows backed up in a separate area of the drive.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back