C&C my newest macros.

boonbear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got elements 7, and I'm trying to work with it. It is definatly a challenge, being as how I don't have ANY experience with ANY photo editor, but I think they turned out okay.

They are, in order, a Nhandu coloratovillosus, an Acanthoscurria geniculata, an unidentified true spider, and a white hornet.
">

">

">

">

I'm not good enough to comment but I would like to know what lens you're using. Those are cool pictures.

Those are scary pics!

Thats it I am giving up and going back to the life of a book reading singleplayer only gamer! ;)

Great shooting as before - especailly that shot of the mother and her young all over her - well focused and taken good soft lighting too - you might give levels a try though - auto is often enough to start with but you might also find more manual controls are needed for some shots - thers is a good article on levels as well as many other editing features on this site here:
Ron Bigelow Articles
and here:
Juza Nature Photography
*go to nature photography - postprocessing section)

Gravity0, I'm using a Sigma 50mm F2.8 macro. It isn't a very expensive lens, and I feel that it gives some pretty good macro shots. I would eventually like to upgrade, but at my skill level, this lens works well for me.

Overread, I am using the manual controls. After a little practice with it, I'm finally starting to understand the best ways to get what you're looking for. Plus, I really like having control over the aperture and shutter speed.
I know that DOF is something that people really like, but on some of my macros, i like to get a bit more of the subject in focus. I would have liked to adjust the aperture on the spider with the young, but I didn't have a lot of time to pull off the few shots I got of her.

Thanks for all the advice, and to everyone else....KEEP IT COMING!!!
I need all the help I can get!:lol:

I find that f13 is where I do most of my macro - f16 is my upper limit since any higher and you get diffraction which affects your shots and makes them softer.
Beyond that if you want more depth of field you have to start image stacking (taking a series of shots at different focsing points and then sticking them all together into a single image with a greater depth to it - though it needs a rock still subject and camera to achive good results with it).
Honestly the biggest part is fixing your focus so that it does the best it can - and from what I see above its working.
Also out of interest what are the setttings your using for each shot (go to the shot on your computer - right click - properties - details tab - scroll down for aperture shutter speed and ISO).

I can tell you that I usually use 100 iso, with f-stops at 3.5-8.0, and shutter speed of 1/60 usually, unless I need less light. I also rarely go more than an iso of 100.
What about shooting in RAW. I never do. What are the pros and cons of that?

ACK ACK ACK ACK!!!

%_)#$%(#%$ you @$)@#$) macro shooters and your @#$(@(#$ bugs!!!

I HATE BUGS!!!

I want a new #)%#()$% rule on TPF that states that you have to put a @)$@(#$ warning saying you have @#)$(@#$ bugs on your @#$)(@#$( post!!!

ACK!!!!

:lol:

great macro pictures i would love to take photos like these minus being around the spiders part.

but manaheim there was macro in the title - so what were you expecting ;) ?? ;)

For your settings your doing well with you focus - I would recomend getting your apertures smaller if you can - reach for f13 and then see what you can get. Using a higher ISO is an option though remaining on ISO 100 is no bad thing and it does help keep your noise down. Shutter speed is the limiter and at 1/60sec your risking things a bit - I would really like to see this speed get faster if you can and certainly don't take it any slower - I have shot slower and its very hit and miss. IF you don't want to add flash to your setup then consider a reflector to add light to the scene.

As for shooting RAW it has this effect on your shots:
1) filesizes are a lot bigger as you get full data from the sensor - so reduced shots per card and also more space used up on your computer

2) white balance and exposure are not fixed in camera. This lets you edit them in your computer and due to the nature of RAW you have to do this before you can use the image in any way - so RAW must be processed every time! White balance setting can be done with JPEGs but its a lot harder to do and it can come off as looking fake very easily. RAW is a lot easier for this - also exposure can give you a bit more of leeway with saving brighter and darker areas of the shot - it still won't save a pure white/black area though.

3) in camera editing is not performed on the RAW file - so no sharpening, noise removal, contrast adjusting etc... is done to the shot so RAW files often come out softer than JPEGs straight from camera. The bonus is that you can then edit the shot with computer software which tends to be more powerful plus you have direct control over things and can define where you want the sharpening to be and how much as well as for noise and other things. Its giving you more control.

but manaheim there was macro in the title - so what were you expecting ;) ??

I know, I know... stupid. I was hoping maybe for some mold spores or something... :lmao:

maybe i'll do some spores or something next time. Or a flower. I just like shooting neat bugs that are hard to get close to. I'm hoping for a mantis later this summer!

A mantis in full wing display is an impressive insect if you can get a shot like that!!

oh and I think you might have oversharpened that last image possibly - that or the harsher light in it is affecting the image

Actually, I had to crop the last shot down a LOT. I was quite a bit further away than I wanted to be, but I took the first shot, eased down a bit, and it flew away. I was just pleased to get that good of focus and DOF at the range I was at. I guess I was about 2 feet away. I wish I could have gotten as close to it as I did the spider w/babies. I was on her like paparazzi on Brittney Spears!:lol:

*shudders*

great shots...eeeeeeek spiders.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back