Camera Gear at the Airport ???

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Kawi_T, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Kawi_T

Kawi_T TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This Friday I'm taking a trip down to Jacksonville Florida. Do I have to take any special precautions taking my camera gear through the air port? I haven't flown in years. I'm not sure what the security guys will do with it. Also, is it safe to go through all their scanning and x-ray type machines? Thanks.
    T

2. Double H

Double H TPF Noob!

Around the corner from the Turkey Hill, PA
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This should help.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nothing to really worry about, except maybe to watch out for carry-on size & weight (you probably don't want to check your photo gear).

X-rays can fog/ruin film (especially high speed film) but I've never heard of it hurting digital media.

I've had my camera gear in airports around the world and it's been fine. Some places will take a closer look and many of them will take a swab and test it...but that's about it.

4. kidchill

kidchill TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just don't try and take pictures in the airport....They don't like that....Tried to in the airport in Rome as well as the subway and they weren't too happy about it....

5. Double H

Double H TPF Noob!

Around the corner from the Turkey Hill, PA
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Although it may take longer, you can request a hand search of film, and your equipment. Most camera bags/packs are with-in carry-on limits. I have the Slingshot 300, and it is well with-in the limits.

6. McManniss

McManniss TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I havent had the luck of going thru an airport with a digital camera yet, but have plenty of experience with film cameras and film

I always ask to get my film and camera hand checked instead of going thru an X-Ray machine. All exposed film I keep in either a bag or a x-ray proof pouch and ask them to hand check it.

As a side note, back in August of 2001, I was coming home from Europe and put my camera thru the X-Ray machine. As it was going thru I realized that I had a roll of Kodak 3200 speed film loaded in my camera. Turns out that I got lucky, and when I developed the film, the film turned out to be ok. Just Luck I guess.

7. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've heard that the X-ray machines for carry-on luggage is actually pretty weak...and won't fog most film.

8. McManniss

McManniss TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've heard that too. But most airports say that if you have film 800 ASA or higher that you should get it handchecked. But with that said, my 3200 ASA film went thru in 2001, prior to Sept. 11, and before all the new X-Ray machines and security procedures went into effect. Maybe thats why i got lucky, who knows.

9. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    US airports are pretty relaxed about security ... so I would not worry too much.

Europe can be quite annoying though...

10. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    from what i've heard , if you have lower speed film, it'll be fine for most stuff, if its high speed, you want to take it through the security checkpoint with you becasue the luggage scanners use stronger x-rays and have a better chance at fogging it. I had an underwater camera i brought with me (just a disposable one) and accidentally sent it with my luggage, but it came out fine.

11. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

Not that I have ever had problems with my camera but I can't say all the airport-security is 'relaxed'. Sure, it differs from state to state, but I've had my share of pushy and shouting personel.

But maybe Europe is worse; haven't been there in a while.

As far as the camera goes: I have all my stuff in a bag and I open the bag before putting it through the machine. I don't have to take stuff out, sometimes -like today - they take an extra test. But that's it.

pascal

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

certainly it depends on the state. but whenever i am over there, it is like... where am i, oh, past security? that was easy ;)
    Immigrations and visa are tough, but acutally getting onto a plane once in the country, that always appears very relaxed to me.