Camera Selection Help

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by gtwosaints, Jan 20, 2008.

1. gtwosaints

gtwosaints Guest

So unfortunately it's pretty much impossible for me to get a DSLR at the time so I have to get a film SLR. After reading a few articles I have come up on a few choices. I will be shooting all types of photos so I can't give specifics on what I want yet.

The choices are

Canon G2 or K2 (don't know the differences)

Nikon N65 or N80

plus a tripod and a bag

As for film I was thinking Fuji 400 for day time shots and Fuji Velvia 50 or 100 for night photos.

Which do you think I should get?

2. gtwosaints

gtwosaints Guest

Sorry about this repeat, can a mod please delete one of the threads. I didn't mean to do it. My internet refreshed and I guess it posted twice.

3. BradUF

BradUF TPF Noob!

I have the N80 and I just started out. I really like it and it was only 86 bucks on ebay in mint condtion. Came with box and everything. Get a new lens and you have pretty much a new camera.

4. BradUF

BradUF TPF Noob!

On the subject of cameras for starting out what do you think would be good for a girl that is 14 just starting out? I suggested the N80 because it was cheap and had all the professinal options on it. What do you all suggest?

5. JonnyB

JonnyB TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I picked up a cheap canon eos 30 on ebay which is perfect for me as a beginner has all the auto functions and manual ones for when I get a bit more knowledge and practice. Also has the bonus of if I do ever move to digital my lenses will work on a canon dslr albeit with different focal lengths, not sure if this is the case for Nikon though.

6. BradUF

BradUF TPF Noob!

You can use the same lens on the dslr as the slrs with nikon for the most part.

7. Coldow91

Coldow91 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you will not be able to to use Nikon DX lenses or Canon EF-S lenses on a film camera

8. gtwosaints

gtwosaints Guest

So the N80 is the way to go?

9. BradUF

BradUF TPF Noob!

I just got one and I like it.

10. RedStarRevels

RedStarRevels TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with JonnyB, the Eos 30 is a fantastic camera, and they're great value second hand. I bought a minter from an eBay shop a while ago for €120, compared to the €400 you'd need for a new 30v. I'm not over-exagerating when I say that I am really in love with it!!! It's got all the bells and whistles, and can take 4 fps, which is not half bad. There are some really really nice unique features too.

If you wanna spend a little less, I started out on an Eos 1000fn, they're really cheap on eBay. It's a good camera and it'll do enough for a beginner-intermediate, but the build quality will let you down eventually (that's what happened to me).

I'd go more modern than a G2, they're on the G7 now. Digital moves so fast that its worth spending as much as you can IMO.

11. gtwosaints

gtwosaints Guest

The G2 is a Film SLR as well by Canon. It's really the Canon GII but whatever.

12. gtwosaints

gtwosaints Guest

So I should go with the Eos 30 Film SLR? And the film I chose is fine?