Can Anyone Use An Extra $15k

What does this mean?

11. Release: By receipt of any Prize, the Winner agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Toyota Motor Sales USA, Inc. and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any Prize (including any travel related thereto).

@nerwin I read that to mean if you get hurt trying to take a shot for this contest they aren't liable. IE: You stand in front of a tornado trying to get a last second shot, and get transported to the Land Of Oz, don't look to them for a return ticket. :anonymous:

@nerwin I read that to mean if you get hurt trying to take a shot for this contest they aren't liable. IE: You stand in front of a tornado trying to get a last second shot, and get transported to the Land Of Oz, don't look to them for a return ticket. :anonymous:

I hate it when they word things in such a way that it's confusing to understand. I guess I'm just not smart :icon_cry:

It's a shame that just because the sponsors have deep pockets, people would think that they should pay because they (contest participate) acted stupid.

It's this type of crap I don't like in contests:

Without limiting the generality of these Official Rules, Winners shall irrevocably grant, transfer, convey and assign to Sponsor the entirety of the rights in and to the Photos and all renewals and extensions of copyright, and the right to secure copyright registrations thereto for a period of five (5) years including, without limitation, the rights to use the Photos for any and all purposes in any and all media whether now known or hereafter developed, on a worldwide basis, for a period of five (5) years.

Basically, they can do what they want with your photo for 5 years and not compensate you at all.

By their own wording, that would only apply if you receive a prize. If you don't, sue the bajeezuz out of 'em.

I mean $15,000 would be nice, don't get me wrong! But not sure if it's worth the hassle to bother with their shenanigans.

Basically, they can do what they want with your photo for 5 years and not compensate you at all.

But not sure if it's worth the hassle to bother with their shenanigans.

Seriously???? You guys must be way better than I. I'd gladly give them one of mine for a "lifetime" of use for $15k. I could have a nice shopping trip for equipment with $15k.

But not sure if it's worth the hassle to bother with their shenanigans.

Seriously???? You guys must be way better than I. I'd gladly give them one of mine for a "lifetime" of use for $15k. I could have a nice shopping trip for equipment with $15k.

Except that you'll get like $250 after taxes.

I would note that in the TC you also agree that they have a 1 year royalty and not limited use of your photo even if you don't win. Which to me simply says that they require it for basic promotion of the competition (and thereafter next year there'll be a new competition and thus no need to keep your photos around).

you also agree that they have a 1 year royalty and not limited use of your photo even if you don't win. Which to me simply says that they require it for basic promotion of the competition (and thereafter next year there'll be a new competition and thus no need to keep your photos around).

I noticed that the contest promotion featured shots of the top 64 contestants from 2016. I supposed this is to cover them for publication of those?

I would note that in the TC you also agree that they have a 1 year royalty and not limited use of your photo even if you don't win. Which to me simply says that they require it for basic promotion of the competition (and thereafter next year there'll be a new competition and thus no need to keep your photos around).

So basically that means if you submit a photo for the contest, they pretty much own it for a year and can do whatever they want with it?

So basically that means if you submit a photo for the contest, they pretty much own it for a year and can do whatever they want with it?

It's called a rights grab.

Most reactions

Back