Can you learn to be a good photographer if your neither creative or artistic?

caspertodd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm neither very creative or artistic, but after starting to learn some of the features of my camera I am becoming much more interested in the world of photography. Looking through the photos that people post here, there are some really gifted people that have amazing ideas. Is this something that has to come naturally? Were you like me at one time taking pictures of only people or animals? I would like to be able to make a piece of tree bark look so amazing that someone would want to frame it on their wall.

To me it seems like all beginners take pictures of anything no matter how uninteresting it is, just exploring photography. I was the same way (not calling myself experienced now though). Just keep taking pitures and you'll get a hang of what makes a better picture.

this is a crazy person question. Who is who to say anyone is artistic or not. I just looked at someone's website who won a hassleblad for photography and I didn't really understand his work at all. its about capturing a moment. Learn rule of thirds, composition, exposure, and all that jazz and you'll start to realize that anyone can be artistic and any shot if properly composed can be interesting. That same piece of bark with a blurred background could look cool.

Learn what you want to do and get good at what you want. To some they'll love to some they'll hate to some they'll want to buy it.

I'm sure that people have taken pictures accidentally and ended up becoming famous.

Just use the hell out of your camera and have fun.

I am a beginner and still learning. From what I learn and seen so far. I have to say "artistic" is for sure is a plus.

Techniques you can learn, equipments you can buy, after that, it is pretty much on your own. :blushing:

Of course!
If you want to make tree bark look interesting, just make sure you have a good DOF and good lighting, and of course it'll look nice.
Basically, take pictures. Every day. As often as you can. But don't just do that, look at other people's pictures so that you can get an idea of what looks good and what doesn't. Post pictures up to get constructive criticism and comments so you can see which photos people like and what people don't. You could go to Flickr and click the Explore tab. Lots of good pictures are there. But mostly just take lots of pictures. You'll learn and get much better, I promise.
Oh and...if you want a good picture, just make sure you have a clearly defined subject and great lighting. Lighting is imperative. Without good lighting, a photo, no matter how great its subject is, does not look as good. Of course, rules can be broken and sometimes when they are, the results are incredibly successful. Oh and another tip - go to a photography site and look at tips on how to get good pictures. =] Make sure the photographer or the site is reputable, not just a newbie or some kid doing a school-project, though. And go out and do some more shooting.

Everyone has an artistic side, even though they think it may not be apperent.

A shot of your kitchen table on a sunny day could be the next photo to sellat some place like Soethby's for thousands of dollars.

Plus a lot of what you see as artistic is also having the gear to accomplish shots that you want to do. Learn photography and the hows and whys and you'll learn that not everything is random and some things are more scientific and commercial than you originally though.

Yeah, like the other poster said, try to learn the "rules" of composition to get you started. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.secondpicture.cm/tutorials/photography/photographic_composition_tutorials.html

http://www.azuswebworks.com/photography/ph_comp.html

Good sites! (I added an o to the .com in the first one). Yeah, I've read a little on composition, and it has helped. One thing I really like about this forum are the technical challenges. And seeing the different ideas that people have on certain things. I will probably start participating to help me try build a little creativity. Of course my pictures are going to suck for awhile (such as my picture for the square challenge). I guess I just have to find my own artistic side as Villiage Idiot states.

I was a beginner and I AM still learning. Photographic education is of utmost importance. Getting around a camera easily will enable you to 'see' past your camera and spend more time concentrating on the world beyond. And I believe that each of us have at the very least a spark of creativity in us. Without it this world would be unbearable. So if you are truly serious about photography, start learning what light does to film, how a three dimensional subject will appear in a two dimensional medium. Look at photographs and try to guess what was used as far as lenses, type of film, try to imagine the scene in reality, not just the reality of the photograph. Practice your photographic 'vision'.

Anyone can do it. Just don't tell yourself that you can't.

I know several engineers that take wonderful photos of powerlines and such. Just don't ask them to shoot a wedding.

I tend to view photography as a very original art form. There is a lot of room for creativity and art. But, it is somewhat sport-like in a similar way to hunting. Photography also has a spectator quality to it. The skill seems to come by developing the "vision" that has been mentioned. And, you see a shot, capture it, and display it. Photography is subtly interpretive in how you choose to capture the world and display it. I love that. Once captured, the world will never offer itself under the same circumstances- kinda like the Heraklitus quote; "You can't step twice into the same river." (roughly) Like a hunter seeks to capture a beautiful animal (and counter-intuitively kill it) the photographer hunts everything and captures fleeting moments at various shutter speeds. ;)

You have an artistic, interpretive mind that no one else has. Art is theory, study what has been done, do it, then go crazy!

Village Idiot, I am thankful for your words. You said
Village Idiot said:
Everyone has an artistic side, even though they think it may not be apperent.

I have been taking photos for 35 years now, so I ought to be able to say (with some right) that I'm past the beginner's stage, but I still don't really feel that artistic side pouring out of me. Nor do I feel very creative.

But every now and again people say they like my photos, and some even buy them. *shrugs*

So all in all I feel that you can learn to take solidly good photos, even if you cannot really feel the creative artist inside of you.

What I feel is important, though, is to know the basics. Some rules need to be known first (and tested, too, by oneself, I think), before later they can THEN deliberately (and in a controlled manner) be broken. So anything there is to know about the technical matters of how to effectively use the camera, and anything there is to know about the basic, general "rules" (conventions) of composition should first be known.

Then you can go from there.
To "go from there" is a creative process.
And who knows, caspertodd, you might even surrprise yourself and eventually arrive there and find out your are more creative than you would have thought! :D

I think that too often people are too critical of their photos. They see all the mistakes in them, but they can't see that they have actually made a really good photo.

It's down to practice and dedication. Though having some inherent talent is a great asset and boost, it is not necessarliy everything. Henri Matisse was a self-taught artist after working as a clerk most of his life i believe. Now hiis stuff is in museums. Granted he was a genius and dedicated 10 years of his life to learning the craft. :) I started as an illustrator. designer and got into photography as a necessity for my craft. Though basic art skill help, I only truly learned through practice. I shoot at least 3-4 times a week. On my days off I am out shooting, at night I am processing. As long as you have the passion to endeavor and learn, there is no limit.

Most reactions

Back