Canon 30d

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i recently went to ritz camera to hold the 30d. i never held on before and looked at it closesly. I realized, the dial to change settings in righ tabout the shutter release. why? thats so stupid, how are u sposda change aperture and white balance and stuff with one hand? the nikons have the dial in the place so u can easly press the button of what u wanna change, like iso, or aperture with ur index finger and roll the dial with ur thumb, i sure wish canon's was liek this...

anyone else have ne other commetns on canon's controls? like is there an easier way to change things then holding down lets say the aperture button with ur left index finger and rotating the dial with your right index finger... this is kinda cumbersome.

Shutter on the finger wheel and aperture on the thumb wheel. It's just a different dynamic that might take getting used to if you've used something else. I always thought it made more sense that other set-ups I've seen. That's the way the Canon film cameras are, so they probably kept that to keep those of use who started on them happy. It's nice being able to use both the film and digital lines the same way without learning a new setup or worrying about what body you happen to have on the lens at the moment.

Out of all honosty, all cameras are 'strange' (at least my experience) when you first hold them. I started with a film Pentax, once I had adapted to that, I later switched to a Canon. Now I can pretty much access anything on the XT and 20D without even glancing. Recently I had to use my school's Nikon D70, and I felt completely lost. I spent about 2 minutes trying to access the ISO! (At which I found had been set at 1600 or the likes. Whoah, fixed that one)

As markc stated, once you are use to a system, it is hard to change.

ohh u can change aperture with that big wheel on the back???? ohhhhhhhhhh that makes much much much more sense :)

Actually, if you're in Av, the dial by the shutter changes the aperture.

It's funny this topic comes up, because I exclusively used a Canon 10D/24-70 f/2.8L today. I'm going to be doing a lighting assignment in my school's studio tomorrow and I wanted to become familiar with the Canon's before I used them for a shoot. My D70 doesn’t have a PC sync jack, so I can’t use it. I've only got 2 hours of studio time, and I didn't want to spend an hour trying to figure out the camera. There were some things I liked about the setup, and there were some things I hated about it. First of all, I liked the lens, it’s big and easy to use (but backwards compared to Nikons). For being plastic, it’s really heavy lens too. Not to thrilled that it was plastic though. I thought L lenses were better than that.

Enough about the lens, after today I will never use a 10D outdoors again. It’s just too damn slow. Everything on my D70 is instant, as opposed to waiting 30 seconds for the LCD to stop saying ‘busy’ while it clears the buffer for the 10D. Playback sucks, I have to wait for each image to load before I can see it clearly. The control surfaces aren’t exactly confusing, as they are cumbersome; too many things take two hands to operate. I never did figure out how to turn off exposure compensation from +2 ev without resetting the body. I could barely see the AF points on the in the viewfinder and when it went into sleep mode, it took forever for it to wake up.

However, the 10D is a sturdier and bulkier body than my D70. I like that. When you hold a 10D, you know you’re holding a camera.

All in all, I’d still much rather use my D70s.

But operates much like the 20/30D.

Yup.. the 10D is still a usable camera even by todays standards but way outdated electronics. Its about as fast offloading raw images to compact flash as my old 30D almost 7 years ago.

Control and layout wise, Canon has stuck to the same layout for several years on both their film and digital lines. I personally liked the dual dial layout of the old Elan II/e but it that design didn't last too long. The layout changes once you get into a 1series cameras where most actions take two keys... which was preferred to prevent accidental changes.

Digital photography technology has been in overdrive during the past 10 years. Even a comparison between cameras released 1 year apart will be obvious.

i recently went to ritz camera to hold the 30d. i never held on before and looked at it closesly. I realized, the dial to change settings in righ tabout the shutter release. why? thats so stupid, how are u sposda change aperture and white balance and stuff with one hand? the nikons have the dial in the place so u can easly press the button of what u wanna change, like iso, or aperture with ur index finger and roll the dial with ur thumb, i sure wish canon's was liek this...

anyone else have ne other commetns on canon's controls? like is there an easier way to change things then holding down lets say the aperture button with ur left index finger and rotating the dial with your right index finger... this is kinda cumbersome.
http://www.google.com/help/features.html#spell
http://www.iespell.com/

what u tryn to say mike? i cant spell? lol. i have firefox 2.0 that tells me when i dont spell things right. but i dont fix everything usually.

So you haven't seen his DeLorean then? :lol:

Thats a good one... yeh .. I meant D30 3mp Canon. hehe..

I can't keep Canon and Nikon Models straight...
1D 5D 10D 20D 30D D30 D60 D70 D40 D80 D2X D2Hs D200

oh yeh.. lets not leave other brands out
K100D, K110D, K10D, another 5D (of the minolta kind), 7D

I think someone needs to get all their marketing departmens in one room and beat them with a wet noodle. Most cameras sold today are digital.. its time to retire the "D".

You get used to any camera after a while, regardless of how unintuitive the User Interface is (tactile or graphic.)

Spelling is a nice thing. It reflects on the author's intelligence and education, and shows how he feels about the value of the correspondence, and the person he is communicating with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back